Value of: Fringe top 4 d

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Erik Brannstrom has actually been shockingly good defensively this year. Every player that plays with him is better. Not the offensive superstar that we all thought he would become (I miss you Mark Stone), but he has been so underrated this year. Issue is Sanderson, Chabot, and Chychrun are all lefties. Branny has looked great on the right side, but will have a hard time playing ahead of Sandy/Chabby/Chcyh/Zub unless there's an injury. Kleven also in the equation now.

Although I don't want them to move him, I think they will this summer due to the amount of LD we have. But he has to have been one of the better 3rd pairing D this season and is still only 23. I genuinely think he'll be a long-term Top 4 D somewhere, just not in Ottawa.
Yeah - Branny is definitely one of those guys who didn't match the hype so viewed as a bust by other fans... but is actually still a sold NHL player.

Thomas Hickey might be a good comparison. Smaller guy, drafted high, didn't become a regular until his D+5 season, ended up having some really solid years and made over $22m. Lots of fans just look at the draft position and see "bust", but Hickey had a decent career. Branny could end up doing the same over the next 5-6 years.

Will come down to cost for Ottawa. He's great in his role, but if they have to pay him $2m to play 15 minutes and never be on the PP I think they may move on from him. He could be a good PP2QB for another team.

Last edited:

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
I see the Kings parting with 2 of Bjornfot, Walker, Durzi, and, unfortunately since they don't know what the f*** to do with him, Jordan Spence.

Value would be

Spence -- smallish, but great both ways

Bjornfot -- two way, more defensive, smallish
Durzi -- all offense, spotty defense

Walker -- two way, can skate, haul the puck thru neutral zone

I also see us moving two of Durzi Spence Bjornfoot and Walker.

I hope it’s Durzi and Walker.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
I expect the Oilers will try to find a new home for Brett Kulak this summer. He is dirt cheap as a 4/5 tweeter at $2.75M for three more years and has no trade protection, so there should be decent interest around the league.

However, with Ekholm in Edmonton now, he is too pricey to be a bottom pairing guy on a capped-out contender:

Nurse-?
Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Ceci
Desharnais

Some possible fits I see:

-SJ, especially in a Karlsson trade.
-CHI, since their best LD is Wyatt Kaiser.
-FLA as they will need another budget top four guy.

Not expecting much, either he’s a salary add to a bigger trade for an upgrade at RD or he’s moved outright for a 3rd or 4th in a future year.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I see the Kings parting with 2 of Bjornfot, Walker, Durzi, and, unfortunately since they don't know what the f*** to do with him, Jordan Spence.

Value would be

Spence -- smallish, but great both ways

Bjornfot -- two way, more defensive, smallish
Durzi -- all offense, spotty defense

Walker -- two way, can skate, haul the puck thru neutral zone
How much for Durzi?

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
I expect the Oilers will try to find a new home for Brett Kulak this summer. He is dirt cheap as a 4/5 tweeter at $2.75M for three more years and has no trade protection, so there should be decent interest around the league.

However, with Ekholm in Edmonton now, he is too pricey to be a bottom pairing guy on a capped-out contender:

Nurse-?
Ekholm-Bouchard
Broberg-Ceci
Desharnais

Some possible fits I see:

-SJ, especially in a Karlsson trade.
-CHI, since their best LD is Wyatt Kaiser.
-FLA as they will need another budget top four guy.

Not expecting much, either he’s a salary add to a bigger trade for an upgrade at RD or he’s moved outright for a 3rd or 4th in a future year.

Kulak is now worth two 1st rounders after that goal against Vegas tonight. Better grab him now before the price goes up any further! o_O

• Haha
Reactions: spaghtti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad