Value of: Fringe top 4 d

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Erik Brannstrom has actually been shockingly good defensively this year. Every player that plays with him is better. Not the offensive superstar that we all thought he would become (I miss you Mark Stone), but he has been so underrated this year. Issue is Sanderson, Chabot, and Chychrun are all lefties. Branny has looked great on the right side, but will have a hard time playing ahead of Sandy/Chabby/Chcyh/Zub unless there's an injury. Kleven also in the equation now.

Although I don't want them to move him, I think they will this summer due to the amount of LD we have. But he has to have been one of the better 3rd pairing D this season and is still only 23. I genuinely think he'll be a long-term Top 4 D somewhere, just not in Ottawa.

I've had a soft spot for Brannstrom since his U20's. What do you think the Sens would be looking for in trade? Draft pick?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I don't even think he's an everyday bottom pair guy on a good team, nevermind fringe top 4.
He’s not (yet).

But he’s a puck mover that has made Gudbranson bearable on our bottom pair.
The OP asked for “A guy who you think could actually be a reliable top 4 guy but just isn't getting the minutes, or isn't quite there yet?

I don’t expect him to have a chance to prove it here due to the amount of bodies we have.

If you look at CF% rates, all but 2 CBJ defenseman have better CF% playing with Berni than without. Those two are Christianson (who sucks) and Gavrikov who is good but probably was playing his off-side during their time together, because they are both LHD.

Who knows maybe he doesn’t turn out to be anything? I think there’s a chance he’s a simple/quiet good 2-way #4D :idk:

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He plays 20 minutes a night for NJ and often in a shutdown type of role with Marino. Graves is a legit second line defender at this point.
And he’s a UFA in a few months. Someone should sign him for the role this OP is getting at.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
And he’s a UFA in a few months. Someone should sign him for the role this OP is getting at.
Maybe I’m reading more into it than the OP meant but I thought he was looking for guys who hadn’t achieved what Garbes has. More like finding the next Siegenthaler? Graves will command top four Liney from someone. He’s probably going to get at least a five year deal and maybe $5 mil per. My impression is thr OP was bargain shopping while Graves will be like buying at the market rate.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Maybe I’m reading more into it than the OP meant but I thought he was looking for guys who hadn’t achieved what Garbes has. More like finding the next Siegenthaler? Graves will command top four Liney from someone. He’s probably going to get at least a five year deal and maybe $5 mil per. My impression is thr OP was bargain shopping while Graves will be like buying at the market rate.
This is closer to what I was shooting for, though I also wouldn't mind signing Graves as well.

We acquired Bear earlier in the year and he's more or less an example of what I'm looking for. He was stuck on the third pair in Carolina, and arguably is a solid, if not unspectacular, top 4 guy who wasn't going to get that shot where he was. Walker out of LA is a good example as well, Brannstrom was mentioned what would be the price on him?

I should also elaborate that I'm aware that Bear was part cap dump as well so that's the reason for the low price, and that I would be willing to try nd work out a more hockey even trade.

Reactions: My3Sons

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
He’s not (yet).

But he’s a puck mover that has made Gudbranson bearable on our bottom pair.
The OP asked for “A guy who you think could actually be a reliable top 4 guy but just isn't getting the minutes, or isn't quite there yet?

I don’t expect him to have a chance to prove it here due to the amount of bodies we have.

If you look at CF% rates, all but 2 CBJ defenseman have better CF% playing with Berni than without. Those two are Christianson (who sucks) and Gavrikov who is good but probably was playing his off-side during their time together, because they are both LHD.

Who knows maybe he doesn’t turn out to be anything? I think there’s a chance he’s a simple/quiet good 2-way #4D :idk:

Yeah this is also the idea I was thinking, relative unknown guys who come up and fans go "huh, not half bad". Guys who in an ideal world could be given time and space to prove what they are capable of but likely won't due to the numbers game.

What's the hoped for return?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Yeah this is also the idea I was thinking, relative unknown guys who come up and fans go "huh, not half bad". Guys who in an ideal world could be given time and space to prove what they are capable of but likely won't due to the numbers game.

What's the hoped for return?
Probably not much at all. Maybe a 4-5th round pick.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I see the Kings parting with 2 of Bjornfot, Walker, Durzi, and, unfortunately since they don't know what the f*** to do with him, Jordan Spence.

Value would be

Spence -- smallish, but great both ways

Bjornfot -- two way, more defensive, smallish
Durzi -- all offense, spotty defense

Walker -- two way, can skate, haul the puck thru neutral zone

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Jalen Chatfield on the Canes is very capable playing as a 4D. Dudes been great this year but he’s still fairly young and also cheap so Canes likely don’t move him.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s about that time Ben Chiarot is available again. You would think, sooner than later, teams would figure out he’s a partner killer. Everyone he ever plays with, stats go right in the crapper.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Calen Addison seems likely to be available this summer. He’s a perfect candidate to slide into a rebuilding team’s Top 4 and run the PP
I think Montreal would make a ton of sense here maybe something around Mesar or Owen Beck +?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Codi Ceci might be available if the Oilers add a true top pairing RD via free agency or trade.

Ceci to NJ for M.McLeod + cap space

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
ethan bear and the canucks are apparently miles apart on an extension. i could see him going unqualified

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Dhaliwal makes some points, but what I read seems to have 3 years versus arbitration as being two opposing factors for how things could be going. This was also 3 weeks ago, so we could have a deal nearly hammered out, or both sides could have agreed to moved on already, this doesn't feel like Bear not being willing to sign with the season he's had with us.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I don't think that he'll be on the market but Kovacevic has been pretty solid for the habs.

One of the very few regular that has a positive +/- on the team, he's solid defensively.

He might not have big offense in him but he'd clearly be a defensive stabilizer if you put him on a pair with an offensive dynamo that likes to take risks.

He's 6'4" and smart, big no nonsense defensive RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad