Friedman: CRA going after former athletes for Canadian teams could impact their ability to draw free agents

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I am all about rich people being made to pay taxes but

- CRA has a program where you can defer taxes until retirement without a limit

- Player uses it as written

- CRA says "wait a minute maybe there should be a limit".

Then amend the damn law. Dumb lawsuit that will cost the tax payers and cause damage in other ways like Friedman says.

Suspect the CRA would never go after Rogers or Bell for using loopholes beyond reason to pay little tax

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
These ridiculous tax rates are why players avoid Canada

Wouldn't surprise me. Top marginal tax rate in Ontario (where he worked) is 53.53% and someone like Bautista would have almost all of his income at that highest bracket. Then while he was living in Toronto, there's a 13% sales tax on top of that but given that's on *after tax* dollars, it's equivalent to about 19% on his pre-tax salary. Then add in property taxes, sin taxes, etc. taxes and you're easily looking at giving the government 80% of your earnings if you make the kind of money Bautista makes. It's ludicrous.

I am all about rich people being made to pay taxes but

- CRA has a program where you can defer taxes until retirement without a limit

- Player uses it as written

- CRA says "wait a minute maybe there should be a limit".

Then amend the damn law. Dumb lawsuit that will cost the tax payers and cause damage in other ways like Friedman says.

Suspect the CRA would never go after Rogers or Bell for using loopholes beyond reason to pay little tax

Define "Rich people". But for context, top earners in Canada already pay far more than their share.

"The top 10 percent pay 47.1 percent of income taxes and earn 33.1 percent of total income."

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Wouldn't surprise me. Top marginal tax rate in Ontario (where he worked) is 53.53% and someone like Bautista would have almost all of his income at that highest bracket. Then while he was living in Toronto, there's a 13% sales tax on top of that but given that's on *after tax* dollars, it's equivalent to about 19% on his pre-tax salary. Then add in property taxes, sin taxes, etc. taxes and you're easily looking at giving the government 80% of your earnings if you make the kind of money Bautista makes. It's ludicrous.

Define "Rich people". But for context, top earners in Canada already pay far more than their share.

"The top 10 percent pay 47.1 percent of income taxes and earn 33.1 percent of total income."

Well, I am in the top 10 percent so I mean people above me like the top 3% who are making millions a year. Mostly corporations making billions should be asked to pay their share

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
Thought the batista thing was essentially a tax dodge in the way he's differing taxes into a retirement account which is what cra said you can't do.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Many of the Canadian teams already have trouble attracting FAs. Not sure this will make a lot of difference for Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa.

Reactions: Devonator

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Thank you National Post for trying to convince people who make ~50k a year that the CRA going after millionaires is a bad thing.

they gave away billions in misappropriated subsidies during the pandemic and aren't making any efforts to reclaim those, I'm supposed to cheer them for going after star athletes for a drop in the bucket?

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
Thank you National Post for trying to convince people who make ~50k a year that the CRA going after millionaires is a bad thing.
The reason people make 50k a year is because of governments twzkng

I am very sorry for you. Moved to Texas years ago and there’s not even a state tax which is great

However I still pay a lot in taxes because of federal and property tax but I cannot understand how business can even operate effectively at those obscene rates in Canada or how the average person can afford anything because high taxes equals high prices on all goods.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

Is it ludicrous?

The man owns several homes and a yacht.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

I am very sorry for you. Moved to Texas years ago and there’s not even a state tax which is great

However I still pay a lot in taxes because of federal and property tax but I cannot understand how business can even operate effectively at those obscene rates in Canada or how the average person can afford anything because high taxes equals high prices on all goods.

Business tax is actually reasonable. Large corporations pay between 15-25%, small business pays 9%.

Is it ludicrous?

The man owns several homes and a yacht.

Yes, it's ludicrous. It's his money. They take 80% of it and redistribute it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Then they're stupid and need to hire better accountants.

I heard Allan Walsh himself explain this on a podcast, and in normal Allan Walsh fashion there is much more to it than he tries to convey in a tweet to look smart.

I'm fairly certain that to achieve this you have to live outside of Canada for a defined time after retirement. So yes, this could work for many players that aren't Canadian, but can't for anyone that wants to step foot in the country after they retire.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Still the only way currently canadian teams are trying to alleviate this is Front Loaded SB's and minimal salaries

take the SB tax rate on off-season residence through "Tax credits". They take the difference between the two

otherwise on straight salaries, you get destroyed.

The former Newport agent outlines this Saying a good chunk of american teams dont want to do bonus structure like canadian teams.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I hope most people realize Taxes aren't so simple as Income x Rate = Taxes at a flat rate and just call it a day, and depend on a whole circumstance of factors.

"Post-Tax" Salary Cap makes no sense, trying to give some sort of "tax credit" for teams in high-tax markets is non-sensible.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

Well… see it as a trade off. We get services for the said paid taxes. Namely; health and dental for one, plenty others as well. It’s not like it’s a take everything and nothing goes back as services.

There are different view points on that matter, but it’s not « just taking part of a pay check just for shits and giggles ».

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

“Fair share” is code for “other people who are not me should pay more”.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
they gave away billions in misappropriated subsidies during the pandemic and aren't making any efforts to reclaim those, I'm supposed to cheer them for going after star athletes for a drop in the bucket?

Why even bring this up? The two things are not connected. The government should be going after those who misappropriated funds AND people who aren't paying their taxes. It's not an either/or scenario.

Just FYI: these millionaire athletes don't care about you, not sure why you're so intent on defending them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad