Rumor: Friedman: “Habs management has been told to rebuild and stock up on picks and prospects.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I dont need to be called a liar...i seen it
I'm not calling you a liar...perhaps you're just not remembering the details properly.

Habs players saying it was "all about next year" while 6pts out of a playoff spot?

I think it was November and the Habs were 6pts out of a playoff spot...I seriously doubt anyone said that at that time.

Reactions: jaffy27

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
3rd pick overall from 2012 (Galchenyuk)
3rd pick overall from 2013 (Drouin)
3rd pick overall from 2018 (????)

4 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2012
6 picks in the first 3 rounds 2013
5 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2017
6 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2018

If Bergevin can't do it with all of that and need "more years and more picks" do to a rebuild.....i'm not buying.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'm not calling you a liar...perhaps you're just not remembering the details properly.

Habs players saying it was "all about next year" while 6pts out of a playoff spot?

I think it was November and the Habs were 6pts out of a playoff spot...I seriously doubt anyone said that at that time.
I remember Gallagher saying we still fighting for a playoff spot in March and I remember it cause in my head I was LOSE, don’t win ffs :laugh:

Was hoping for a good pick!!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I remember Gallagher saying we still fighting for a playoff spot in March and I remember it cause in my head I was LOSE, don’t win ffs :laugh:

Hell I remember Charles Hudon making some odd comment about using the last 7 games of the season to prepare as though it was a playoff series lol

So yeah, i'm skeptical

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Sometimes you have to close shop for a bit for a complete gut job, redesign, rebuild to produce the best product for maximum return.

Some of the pieces are still good so you keep em, and incorporate them into your new product.
The ultimate goal is a cup. I’m a big Weber fanbit if we’re reduiding we don’t need him. It will be 3-4 years before we’re challenging and that’s about how much good hockey Weber has
With price and Weber a rebuild is pointless

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
If Habs are really going rebuild, the GM should be fired and Julien Bresbois in Tampa should get the call...I would feel very confident he understands how to find centers..i dont think it would take him 6 -7 years to still not figure that out.......and he knows how to develop players in the org....and i bet he never would have constructed such a putrid dfense core as we had last season ..

But the real question is .... can JB effectively manage a hockey team on playstation....

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The ultimate goal is a cup. I’m a big Weber fanbit if we’re reduiding we don’t need him. It will be 3-4 years before we’re challenging and that’s about how much good hockey Weber has
With price and Weber a rebuild is pointless

You need some veteran leadership though, I’d keep Weber for sure, especially with the youth that’s up and coming on that blue line.

Pacioretty, Petry, Byron, Shaw, Benn, Schlemko are the players I’d for sure unload.....if the plan truly is to rebuild (retool)

Reactions: Runner77

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Don't buy it since it's what I want the Habs to do and I'm used to them disappointing me. That said it's beyond funny to me that the person that ****s up the team is left to "fix" his mistakes. How ****ing cheap is Molson that he would keep MB on if that's the plan to rebuild/restock the farm.

Very interested to see what happens this summer.
Your post makes me wonder very strongly about whether Molson is just keeping MB on board to not waste money considering how long the contract is. MB was already given a fairly clean slate when he came in: a 3rd overall pick, 5 second round picks over two drafts, two compliance buyouts. To some extent, one could argue that he is in a very similar position now as he was when he was hired, which begs the question, why go through this again?

He failed the first time. The only possible reason I can think about in giving him this "second" building opportunity is because of money.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Agreed...I certainly wasn't suggesting that there's evidence he can do that. Just that it's not impossible that he could.

Peter Chiarelli was considered the gold standard of GM'ing not too long ago....today he can't walk around the city of Edmonton without a disguise.

The draft should provide some of those answers.

It's true that many GMs require years to reach an acceptable level of performance. In the case of Chiarelli he achieved that, and more, but has reverted to a degree of incompetence only matched by our own Marc Bergevin.

I honestly hope that MB will prove me wrong, but I'm highly sceptical in the interim.

It won't only be the draft to watch, but the trades and other acquisitions and changes Bergevin signs off on.

If nothing else, we'll have fresh fodder for discussion. :laugh:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Im going back thru my all my old posts to find that game thread ..i remember posting it soon at it happened. i want to back this up....with facts.

Here was one from a few months ago ..where i said the samething....http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/144040721/

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Let's rebuild with the guy that was supposed to rebuild 5 years ago

wow nice logic

with the salaries of GM's and coaches going up and up , it becomes alot more harder to just fire these guys....especially guys no other teams will hire..lol

Firing a coach with 2-3 years left making 1 million ,not a big deal...try firing a coach or Gm making 5-6 -7 million a year with 4-5 years left....this is where it is all headed....

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
3rd pick overall from 2012 (Galchenyuk)
3rd pick overall from 2013 (Drouin)
3rd pick overall from 2018 (????)

4 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2012
6 picks in the first 3 rounds 2013
5 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2017
6 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2018

If Bergevin can't do it with all of that and need "more years and more picks" do to a rebuild.....i'm not buying.

You shouldn't be buying from the moment he trades P.K and doesn't fire Therrien after the worst streak of hockey in our franchise history. Everything else after that is just either comical or an insult to injury depending on how you view things.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
We are 9 pages in and I wonder how many of you listened to the podcast?
The comments can be perceived differently than most of you are going on about.
Freidman also said that while it may not be the end of the world if the Habs miss the playoffs next year there is still pressure to be competitive. In other words, don't hold out hope for a fire sale. He also sees Price and Weber staying but being surrounded by younger, faster players.
Kinda like a partial rebuild IMO which really isn't anything new.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
We are 9 pages in and I wonder how many of you listened to the podcast?
The comments can be perceived differently than most of you are going on about.
Freidman also said that while it may not be the end of the world if the Habs miss the playoffs next year there is still pressure to be competitive. In other words, don't hold out hope for a fire sale. He also sees Price and Weber staying but being surrounded by younger, faster players.
Kinda like a partial rebuild IMO which really isn't anything new.

seeing we missed playoffs last 2 out 3 season..status quo then...miss 3 seasons out of 4 ..no big deal

enjoy the hotdogs tho? lol

How much cap space will they not spend this season???

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
with the salaries of GM's and coaches going up and up , it becomes alot more harder to just fire these guys....especially guys no other teams will hire..lol

Firing a coach with 2-3 years left making 1 million ,not a big deal...try firing a coach or Gm making 5-6 -7 million a year with 4-5 years left....this is where it is all headed....

Bergevin hired mostly buddies during his tenure. It's not inconceivable one would repay the favour.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad