Rumor: Friedman: “Habs management has been told to rebuild and stock up on picks and prospects.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sure i would too
Now gimme an example Of how you’re getting a first line centre this year.
Please don’t say it’s Drouin
Also. How we getting a dman?
I don't think turning this thread into a trade proposal thread is going to be fruitful...point I was making was that the Habs DO have the assets to acquire a center who may not be recognized as a #1C today, but one who has the profile too eventually.

The Habs have one of the league's best goal scorers on the trade market, a 3rd overall pick and 4 2nd round picks...that's trade ammunition for even a bad GM.

Furthermore, I also don't think it's realistic to expect this team to solve all of its problems in the next few weeks/months...so I can speak on how we're going to get a Dman in addition to a center. I think right now the focus should be on stockpiling assets and building for this team to be a contender in the next 3 to 5yrs...which doesn't necessarily mean they have to intentionally tank either btw.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Makes absolutely zero sense to me to start a rebuild without changing up the front office. Don't get me wrong, rebuilding is the path I want. I just don't understand why you wouldn't truly start fresh and do it properly.

Reactions: montreal

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't underestimate the value of humility and contrition, however, I value forward thinking, surrounding yourself with individuals who are better than the GM, objective performance reviews and the ability to make timely critical decisions.

Asking this GM to learn from his mistakes after so many learning opportunities squandered is like trying to turn a low-ceiling prospect into a blue chipper.
Agreed...but there are at least signs that there's a shift in philosophy at least. Not obvious signs, but the tone coming from the organization so far this "offseason" seems to be different than in years past.

We'll see how that manifests itself in the coming weeks...but can you imagine for a second what page this thread would be on if Friedman had tweeted that the Montreal Canadiens were desperately trying to get back into the playoffs next year and that their #3 pick was in play?

We'd all be livid here...I just like to be consistent with my thoughts. At the end of season press conference, I really wanted to hear that the team was looking at a larger picture and not just getting back into the playoffs ASAP.

So at least, grasping what I can for now, this is a *good* sign.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
But he wasn't...why keep torturing yourself by repeating it constantly?

Would I like someone else with an actual plan that he can implement in place? Yes of course...

But i'll settle for the guy in place, doing better than he has in the past (which of course, is not impossible).

You're correct that it's not impossible. It is quite unlikely based on Bergevin's history. Is it really a good idea to keep a lame duck GM to save some money at a critical crossroads for the Habs?

I say no, but not doubt there are some who think MB can remarkably change his personality and boost his abilities.

Reactions: Runner77

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
List me all the teams that won their division and had 100 points that decided to tank.

And in the end MB did tank. He didn't sign any UFA and Markov/Radu walked, which lead to the team finishing 3rd last.

A 100 point team isn't going to tank in the NHL. A bottom feeder will more likely make that decision.

And I hate the Price contract. Futures, well we got a bunch of picks for guys we sold and the 3rd OVA. I believe Max will be traded this summer.

Not exactly. Tanking is done intentionally. It's not saying our team has improved and then we suck something else. MB didn't tank. The team he put together was just horse s***.

Reactions: PhysicX

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Geoff Molson to MB: "OK so this is like your first day 6 years ago. We want you to start from the beginning except this time, do the exact opposite of everything you did the first go round."

Reactions: lo striver

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
You're correct that it's not impossible. It is quite unlikely based on Bergevin's history. Is it really a good idea to keep a lame duck GM to save some money at a critical crossroads for the Habs?

I say no, but not doubt there are some who think MB can remarkably change his personality and boost his abilities.

Bergevin rebuilt the Habs defense....everyone happy?

Now will trust him for a entire club rebuild.....?

Even the Islanders said bye to Snow with 4 years left on his deal.....because they finally seen the light.

Reactions: groovejuice

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
List me all the teams that won their division and had 100 points that decided to tank.

And in the end MB did tank. He didn't sign any UFA and Markov/Radu walked, which lead to the team finishing 3rd last.

A 100 point team isn't going to tank in the NHL. A bottom feeder will more likely make that decision.

And I hate the Price contract. Futures, well we got a bunch of picks for guys we sold and the 3rd OVA. I believe Max will be traded this summer.

They should. We'd be further ahead. I don't care that NHL decision makers are too stupid to figure that out for themselves.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I don't think turning this thread into a trade proposal thread is going to be fruitful...point I was making was that the Habs DO have the assets to acquire a center who may not be recognized as a #1C today, but one who has the profile too eventually.

The Habs have one of the league's best goal scorers on the trade market, a 3rd overall pick and 4 2nd round picks...that's trade ammunition for even a bad GM.

Furthermore, I also don't think it's realistic to expect this team to solve all of its problems in the next few weeks/months...so I can speak on how we're going to get a Dman in addition to a center. I think right now the focus should be on stockpiling assets and building for this team to be a contender in the next 3 to 5yrs...which doesn't necessarily mean they have to intentionally tank either btw.
3-5 year?? Jesus. And Bergevin is in charge?
This team is a joke

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Maybe his girlfriend should pull out her makeup kit, retrieve her mirror and hand it to him.

Not everyone will interpret their own reflection accurately.

EjixKtc.jpg

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think Marc Bergevin is a lame duck GM, I think he's firmly entrenched as the GM of this team for the foreseeable future. So I don't anticipate he'll make moves to save his job in the immediate.

But who knows, maybe that would be exactly what he needs. One of my biggest criticisms of Bergevin is he has operated like a GM who has no fear of consequence.

I don't even think it needs to be that deep...not too long ago Jim Rutherford was seen as one of the worst GM's in the league.

He won back to back Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh.

George McPhee got fired from the Caps for not bringing them over the top...now he's responsible for major parts of both teams competing in the Stanley Cup Finals (no, i'm not suggesting this is what's going to happen with Bergevin).

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Not exactly. Tanking is done intentionally. It's not saying our team has improved and then we suck something else. MB didn't tank. The team he put together was just horse s***.

Yes not exactly, thats why I said "technically".

In the end most tanks aren't intentional anyways they are through incompetence.

The intentions may have been different but the results were the same.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
smokescreen by who?

I haven't heard anyone from the Habs organization that said anything about Kotkaniemi
Smokescreen here at HF........what?.....you didn’t know other teams scouts came here for their prospect bio’s and talent analysis?

:sarcasm:

Really, at 3 they are taking Zadina, maybe Wahlstrom, but if they are gonna pick a a D, my guess is it’s Dobson!!

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
If Habs are really going rebuild, the GM should be fired and Julien Bresbois in Tampa should get the call...I would feel very confident he understands how to find centers..i dont think it would take him 6 -7 years to still not figure that out.......and he knows how to develop players in the org....and i bet he never would have constructed such a putrid dfense core as we had last season ..

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't think Marc Bergevin is a lame duck GM, I think he's firmly entrenched as the GM of this team for the foreseeable future. So I don't anticipate he'll make moves to save his job in the immediate.

But who knows, maybe that would be exactly what he needs. One of my biggest criticisms of Bergevin is he has operated like a GM who has no fear of consequence.

I don't even think it needs to be that deep...not too long ago Jim Rutherford was seen as one of the worst GM's in the league.

He won back to back Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh.

George McPhee got fired from the Caps for not bringing them over the top...now he's responsible for major parts of both teams competing in the Stanley Cup Finals (no, i'm not suggesting this is what's going to happen with Bergevin).

I'd agree if there was any evidence of Bergevin adjusting his thinking during his tenure. He still uses personality buzz words like character and attitude as a framework for his ideal roster.

I'm afraid that until I'm convinced that he values skill and speed over some ephemeral qualities, I can't believe Bergevin can adequately rebuild the mess of his own creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan