GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I like Skjei as a player quite a bit, but I’ll pass on that deal.

Skjei and Roy getting 7 x 7 deals and being under contract til 37 is a tough pill to swallow.

Pesce was the play man. 6 x 5.5, only under contract through age 35, why we weren’t rumored to be all over that I really couldn’t tell you.
Roy signed for like $100k more than Pesce for the same term.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
This was the lineup opening night last season:

DeBrincat-Larkin-Perron
Fabbri-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen-Copp-Sprong
Kostin-Veleno-Fischer

Walman-Seider
Chiarot-Petry
Gostisbehere-Holl

Husso
Reimer

This is the lineup as of today (and I'm expecting more moves):

DeBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Fabbri-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen-Copp-Fischer
X-Veleno-X

Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Petry
Gustafsson-Holl
Johansson

Talbot
Lyon/Husso/Campbell

Let's assume at least one of Mazur, Berggren, Danielson, Soderblom, or Kasper take one of the two remaining forward spots. Are they really worse off than last year? They should get full years from Kane and Edvinsson, plus I expect Raymond to really break out.

I don't think Yzerman is done either.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

DeBrincat-Larkin-Perron
Fabbri-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen-Copp-Sprong
Kostin-Veleno-Fischer

Walman-Seider
Chiarot-Petry
Gostisbehere-Holl

Husso
Reimer

DeBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Fabbri-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen-Copp-Fischer
X-Veleno-X

Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Petry
Gustafsson-Holl
Johansson

Talbot
Lyon/Husso/Campbell

Let's assume at least one of Mazur, Berggren, Danielson, Soderblom, or Kasper take one of the two remaining forward spots. Are they really worse off than last year? They should get full years from Kane and Edvinsson, plus I expect Raymond to really break out.

As the roster stands we’re heavily dependent on Larkin, Kane, and Talbot not missing long stretches of games with injury. Based on their injury history/age, that’s worrying to me. One of those guys misses more than half the season and our shooting percentage regresses to the mean and we could be in big trouble.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
A #1D, a #5D, an unproven rookie, and a swarm of #6 at best and at worst AHL level D.

You think we’re making the post season with that? With a 37 yo Cam Talbot backing them?

This team can improve.

I don't know does that mean it's the playoffs. But probably it will be. Between 91 point and 100 points is the hardest hurdle.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

DeBrincat-Larkin-Perron
Fabbri-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen-Copp-Sprong
Kostin-Veleno-Fischer

Walman-Seider
Chiarot-Petry
Gostisbehere-Holl

Husso
Reimer

DeBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Fabbri-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen-Copp-Fischer
X-Veleno-X

Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Petry
Gustafsson-Holl
Johansson

Talbot
Lyon/Husso/Campbell

Let's assume at least one of Mazur, Danielson, Soderblom, or Kasper take one of the two remaining forward spots. Are they really worse off than last year? They should get full years from Kane and Edvinsson, plus I expect Raymond to really break out.

Yes they’ll be worse because the other teams got better. We’re banking on just internal improvement while other teams signed guys to bolster the roster in addition to internal improvement.

Boston added a top 6 C and a 4-5D. Lohrei will continue to improve.

Ottawa added a top flight goalie which was by far their biggest issue last year. A young forward core as well that again should improve.

Washington, who we lost out a playoff spot to, significantly improved with the additions of Roy, Chychrun, and Dubois.

Philly will be most likely adding the Calder winner and future superstar in Michkov.

Devils added Pesce and with a healthy roster should see big improvements.

Tampa lost Serg but hugely upgraded on Stamkos with Guentzel who is a bona fide play driver. JJ Moser can replace Serg pretty well too.

The list goes on.

Last edited:
Reactions: nbwingsfan

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
people keep asking what should have been done differently. Here’s an example. I shipped out Maatta, bought out Holl, and dumped Fabbri for future considerations. You can even attach 3rd round picks to those contracts if you think it’s necessary. Husso out for a 7th.

I signed Tarasenko at 4.75x3 years. Could give him more. Skjei and Roy for exactly what they signed for.

Keep in mind if Yzerman didn’t make the immediately terrible signings of Holl and trade for Petry last year, we wouldn’t have these anchors in the first place. Same with Copp which many of us hated the second it was signed. The cap dump contracts are also his own fault.
That doesn't work. You need to pay them more.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

DeBrincat-Larkin-Perron
Fabbri-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen-Copp-Sprong
Kostin-Veleno-Fischer

Walman-Seider
Chiarot-Petry
Gostisbehere-Holl

Husso
Reimer

DeBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Fabbri-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen-Copp-Fischer
X-Veleno-X

Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Petry
Gustafsson-Holl
Johansson

Talbot
Lyon/Husso/Campbell

Why not use the lineup from the end of the season?

Debrincat-Larkin-Raymond
Fabbri-Compher-Kane
Ras-Copp-Perron
Fish-Veleno-Sprong

Vs

Debrincat-Larkin-Ray
Fabbri-Comp-Kane
Ras-Copp-Berg
Fish-Veleno-xx

Chariot-Seider
SE-Ghost
Maata-Petry
Holl

Vs

Chariot-Seider
Se-Gus
Maata-Petry
Holl

I think in both cases the game 82 roster is better except in nets

That doesn't work. You need to pay them more.

Why does Detroit have to pay them more?

Are you guaranteeing that we DID offer them the exact same contract but were told to drop dead?

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

DeBrincat-Larkin-Perron
Fabbri-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen-Copp-Sprong
Kostin-Veleno-Fischer

Walman-Seider
Chiarot-Petry
Gostisbehere-Holl

Husso
Reimer

DeBrincat-Larkin-Kane
Fabbri-Compher-Raymond
Rasmussen-Copp-Fischer
X-Veleno-X

Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Petry
Gustafsson-Holl
Johansson

Talbot
Lyon/Husso/Campbell

Right, Danielson who finished 49th in scoring in his last year in juniors, and Kasper who was not even a .5ppg player in GR are ready to jump into full time roles on the Wings.

It’s fine if Steve proceeds with this strategy but this is the strategy to get a high lottery pick.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm not sure I trust Lindholm to be a #1 in any sense of the word. We give Larkin crap, but Lindholm outside of one season screams 2C at best, imo. After he was dealt to Vancouver last year, there was talk of them flipping him at the deadline for different help.
That’s why I seats 1C ish. He’s certainly better than Coyle and Zacha

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yes they’ll be worse because the other teams got better. We’re banking on just internal improvement while other teams signed guys to bolster the roster in addition to internal improvement.

Ottawa added a top flight goalie which was by far their biggest issue last year. A young forward core as well that again should improve.

Washington, who we lost out a playoff spot to, significantly improved with the additions of Roy, Chychrun, and Dubois.

Philly will be most likely adding the Calder winner and future superstar in Michkov.

The list goes on.
I'm going to highlight two things.

Is everyone forgetting that Ullmark played 120+ games over the last three seasons for Boston?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Yes. Half the core hasn't made the show yet. Amused to see some judge it already. Doubly so to think that Carolina of all teams has some untouchable powerhouse roster.
Which core pieces aren't here yet? When will they get here? How old will Larkin and Kane be when they get here?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Tampa lost Serg but hugely upgraded on Stamkos with Guentzel who is a bona fide play driver. JJ Moser can replace Serg pretty well too.

The list goes on.

This is interesting bullschit how all the other teams will improve but Red Wings won't when same NHL players will fly by from teams to another. Please stop. I can't stop laughing. :D

Reactions: DamonDRW

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not sure what your point is. Boston has another top flight goalie already. They don’t need two to maintain their spot in the standings. Ottawa got rid of Chychrun but vastlyy improved in net.
Swayman has been alternating starts for three seasons now. You think Korpisalo is going to seamlessly fill in for Ullmark?

I don't dispute that Ottawa likely improved. But Boston most certainly will take a hit with goaltending.

Mr Nimbus

May 27, 2022
London
It's the fact that I just don't understand Yzerman's direction here. He's so tight lipped, we never get the full story. His moves right now are baffling to me until there is an explanation from him directly. Which I doubt we get. He's prime message board fodder though.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That’s your assumption. We don’t know that they took the highest contract. We know what they signed for, and that’s what I’ll go off. We don’t know if it’s term or AAV that made Yzerman not do those deals. Or if he even tried.
How do you know that Yzerman didn't offer more than they took? I am very perplexed that the failure to execute is being construed as: (a) not attempting to execute on a plan, and (b) a lack or desire to execute on a plan (or even formulate a plan).

For the record, there were several deals signed yesterday that I would have been very happy with. I also know, however, that under U.S. labor law, you cannot legally force someone to enter into a contract to provide services. This isn't Nam. There are rules here.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
This is interesting bullschit how all the other teams will improve but Red Wings won't when same NHL players will fly by from teams to another. Please stop. I can't stop laughing. :D
The improvement that matters is among bubble teams in the East, who we are competing with for a playoff spot. Can you tell me who in the East got significantly worse to the point that we’ll be able to beat out for a spot?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

That's not what he said so stop swearing and being disingenuous...those teams ADDED better players than we did AND equally to us, their own prospects and young NHL players should improve just like ours....

Reactions: RedHawkDown

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
How do you know that Yzerman didn't offer more than they took? I am very perplexed that the failure to execute is being construed as: (a) not attempting to execute on a plan, and (b) a lack or desire to execute on a plan (or even formulate a plan).

For the record, there were several deals signed yesterday that I would have been very happy with. I also know, however, that under U.S. labor law, you cannot legally force someone to enter into a contract to provide services. This isn't Nam. There are rules here.
In the end, I don’t care what he did or didn’t try. I care about results. It seems that people here will keep giving Yzerman the benefit of the doubt without any real reason to do so. He has not had a single good FA season in 5 years of being GM. Not sure why he’s earned this benefit of the doubt?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not sure what your point is. Boston has another top flight goalie already. They don’t need two to maintain their spot in the standings. Ottawa got rid of Chychrun but vastlyy improved in net.

How about Josh Norris having 2 injured shoulders for 8M. Perron regressing like he already did at Detroit. Pinto wanting out. Chychrun gone.

I'll predict Ullmark being as bad as behind ugly Buffalo defence as he will be behind that ugly Senators defence. And his Boston years are the career outlier.

And the next Boston backup is gonna shine as well as Swayman did. They have the great system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad