GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
A

What’s the point of signing Kane then? Either we let the prospects see what they can do or we try bring in difference makers. This is a weird hybrid that will once again lead to no playoff purgatory where we miss but aren’t a lottery team. Worst place to be.
Prospects needs to learn from someone. Bring couple good players and team will be killed in the first round. Bring only kids and their confidence level could be hurt. It's have to be hybrid skills and prospects

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
It’s funny that we heard this whole “Yzerman is cooking” 4D chess crap with the Walman trade , and now people are saying the same thing with free agency. Nothing happened w the Walman trade, there was no other shoe that dropped, it was simply a dog shit trade to dump salary that he went and spent on Cam Talbot and Jack Campbell. Yzerman is not infallible, people. If we run it back with this current roster and don’t make the playoffs, his seat has to be warm.

It was a dog shit trade, if other things don't happen. It sounds like he had a deal with NYR for Trouba but the player blocked, and I'm assuming were calling on all the teams that need to move D out to actually fill out a roster. I didn't like the trade and things don't go perfect, we were the front runner for Stammer, until we weren't. Lets give it to Training camp before we say the off season was a bust after 1 day.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It was a dog shit trade, if other things don't happen. It sounds like he had a deal with NYR for Trouba but the player blocked, and I'm assuming were calling on all the teams that need to move D out to actually fill out a roster. I didn't like the trade and things don't go perfect, we were the front runner for Stammer, until we weren't. Lets give it to Training camp before we say the off season was a bust after 1 day.
I’m not calling it a bust after 1 day, but nothing has happened so far that is positive apart from a decent Kane signing (which I personally don’t love as I genuinely think he makes the players around him worse because guys on his line defer to him way too much). I’m not sure why we should be giving Yzerman the benefit of the doubt when he has not made any significant successful FA or trade additions to the team in his entire tenure here, apart from DBC who fell into his lap as he only wanted to come here.

The Walman deal is essentially already closed - walmans 3.2M has already been used up on Campbel and Talbot, two trash goalies.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I’m not calling it a bust after 1 day, but nothing has happened so far that is positive apart from a decent Kane signing (which I personally don’t love as I genuinely think he makes the players around him worse because guys on his line defer to him way too much). I’m not sure why we should be giving Yzerman the benefit of the doubt when he has not made any significant successful FA or trade additions to the team in his entire tenure here, apart from DBC who fell into his lap as he only wanted to come here.

The Walman deal is essentially already closed - walmans 3.2M has already been used up on Campbel and Talbot, two trash goalies.
Yea, I get that but we also need to move a goalie out which I assume to be Husso in some sort of deal, were not sending Cossa back to the ECHL. Either behind the scenes Husso is in worse shape and heading to LTIR or a trade goes down is my guess. I guess my thing is what deal today would you have paid up to make happen? I get Stamkos but 4 years at 9 to 10 million to beat out Nash and their 0 tax in my mind is too much. Assume we had to not just match but beat another offer, who was a miss on day 1?

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I'll wait and see what he does via trades now but so far I'm extremely unimpressed this is supposed to be the year we take a big step forward and instead we did nothing because Yzerman was to scared to hand out money to star players and insists on spending all that money on garbage players on 2-3 year deals. Like at least bring back spring ffs

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
It’s funny that we heard this whole “Yzerman is cooking” 4D chess crap with the Walman trade , and now people are saying the same thing with free agency. Nothing happened w the Walman trade, there was no other shoe that dropped, it was simply a dog shit trade to dump salary that he went and spent on Cam Talbot and Jack Campbell. Yzerman is not infallible, people. If we run it back with this current roster and don’t make the playoffs, his seat has to be warm.
Yzerman is starting the probe that he is just not a good GM. I know everyone hates all the signings around the league today but we should have done 1 of them for one if he top guys. We don’t draft elite talent because we don’t suck enough. Perfect opportunity to grab a high end talent this UFA. After Raymond and seider we have no real major extensions for at least the next few years.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Yea, I get that but we also need to move a goalie out which I assume to be Husso in some sort of deal, were not sending Cossa back to the ECHL. Either behind the scenes Husso is in worse shape and heading to LTIR or a trade goes down is my guess. I guess my thing is what deal today would you have paid up to make happen? I get Stamkos but 4 years at 9 to 10 million to beat out Nash and their 0 tax in my mind is too much. Assume we had to not just match but beat another offer, who was a miss on day 1?
Skinner, Teravainen, Pesce, Roy, Arvidsson, all signed reasonable deals. Duclair too. Roy maybe a year too long but not terrible at that AAV. We needed to add somebody. We did nothing except add two terrible goalies and a 6/7D.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'll wait and see what he does via trades now but so far I'm extremely unimpressed this is supposed to be the year we take a big step forward and instead we did nothing because Yzerman was to scared to hand out money to star players and insists on spending all that money on garbage players on 2-3 year deals. Like at least bring back spring ffs
If only Steve could turn back time.... gotta suffer through fall and winter to get back to spring.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Skinner, Teravainen, Pesce, Roy, Arvidsson, all signed reasonable deals. Roy maybe a year too long but not terrible at that AAV. We needed to add somebody. We did nothing except add two terrible goalies and a 6/7D.
I get this, but Arvidsson and Skinner just signed to play for the team that lost the cup in game 7, so we weren't even in that conversation at that price. Devils are ahead of us as far as star talent with signing Pesce, I would say Roy and Teravainen would be the two I would have liked to look into but we have no clue on the circumstances. Chance we weren;t even on the Radar for the players, not everyone wants to play here.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Not start over , but continue,we are in the final stages of it . 2 more years and all bad contracts, maybe except Copp will be gone. Kids will get older and better. We don't have superstars in the system, that is why it's taking longer. Next draft will be very good , it should be end of our rebuild. Next year Yzerman should be more active and trade away some prospects for good NHL players and more active in free agency. Meanwhile he should let some kids to play in NHL to get experience
To get those superstar talents next draft or the draft after, you can't be in the playoff race in March. You gotta suck, like really suck, to complete that part of the rebuild. That's the problem with the Wings rebuild, you can't start collecting solid complimentary pieces and develop solid young players and thus turn yourself in a middling team and then expect Connor McDavid or Connor Bedard to fall into your lap. They did it the wrong way around because they didn't wanna wait any longer.

When I say 'start over' what I mean is they may have to dismantle the roster except for the key young pieces and prepare for another year or two of tanking. But there's also a reality that none of the young pieces are 'sure things' in their desired role...Seider may become an elite #1 d-man, but he isn't one yet and may also never be..Raymond is a solid forward and he may become a superstar forward..but he isn't one yet and may also never be etc. so there could very well be a point where they're assets used in a trade in the next couple of seasons.

People act like 'starting over' is some dramatic unheard of thing..half the league has been cycling through rebuilds for decades. It's what happens when you don't get elite first round talent that meets their promise and don't spectacularly hit on some of your lower picks and 'upside' signings/trades to get supporting pieces. We're not at that point yet, but I think it's obvious that the Wings right now don't have a core you wanna 100% buy into and supplement with highly expensive older star free agents.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
We have 8 forwards signed before Razor and Veleno (obviously signing). My question, how much would people being on board with bringing in a guy like Tarasenko for a short term, low money contract to help the PP, and then a guy like T Johnson to be a switch army knife to fill out up front. Defense would 100% need to be done on the trade market. Would still give us the chance to bring in Vets and mid 6 talent, Burger would start on the roster, and Mazur and those guys would get looks. Obviously Sprong is still out there and could see him coming back for a bottom 6 role as insurance.

I would be a lot more worried if we were filled up on roster size, but forwards it seems easy, Yzerman has to at this point make or break this season on what he makes happen on D. I think you move Burger, pick max 2 picks to get at least 1 RD to play with ED, if you can find away to shuffle Chariot down that's even better.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I get this, but Arvidsson and Skinner just signed to play for the team that lost the cup in game 7, so we weren't even in that conversation at that price. Devils are ahead of us as far as star talent with signing Pesce, I would say Roy and Teravainen would be the two I would have liked to look into but we have no clue on the circumstances. Chance we weren;t even on the Radar for the players, not everyone wants to play here.
Remember last night when we thought we'd have Stamkos, Trouba and Kane? Best laid plans....

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Remember last night when we thought we'd have Stamkos, Trouba and Kane? Best laid plans....
I get it, but Media will do Media things. For all we know was Yzermans best offer was 5 million for 3 years. We could have truly never been in the conversation outside of the were going after him. The offense we will get worked out, you can always find mid six forwards, the D is where Yzerman will have to find away, he will have to pull some strings, lets see if he can.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
To get those superstar talents next draft or the draft after, you can't be in the playoff race in March. You gotta suck, like really suck, to complete that part of the rebuild. That's the problem with the Wings rebuild, you can't start collecting solid complimentary pieces and develop solid young players and thus turn yourself in a middling team and then expect Connor McDavid or Connor Bedard to fall into your lap. They did it the wrong way around because they didn't wanna wait any longer.

When I say 'start over' what I mean is they may have to dismantle the roster except for the key young pieces and prepare for another year or two of tanking. But there's also a reality that none of the young pieces are 'sure things' in their desired role...Seider may become an elite #1 d-man, but he isn't one yet and may also never be..Raymond is a solid forward and he may become a superstar forward..but he isn't one yet and may also never be etc. so there could very well be a point where they're assets used in a trade in the next couple of seasons.

People act like 'starting over' is some dramatic unheard of thing..half the league has been cycling through rebuilds for decades. It's what happens when you don't get elite first round talent that meets their promise and don't spectacularly hit on some of your lower picks and 'upside' signings/trades to get supporting pieces. We're not at that point yet, but I think it's obvious that the Wings right now don't have a core you wanna 100% buy into and supplement with highly expensive older star free agents.
A few other not "sure things" are 1. that there is a true superstar at the top of the draft and 2. the necessary lottery luck to get them.

Buffalo has been shitty for a decade plus, and even with two #1 picks, I don't see them being any further ahead than the Wings are. Burn it down, get what you get, then improve. Trying to artificially stay bad will make it that much harder to claw your way back out of the pit.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Granted I’m a couple bourbons in but thinking of lurking in other teams forums to see if there’s a whinier more entitled fan base than Wings fans here.

“We were good for 25 years and now we’re not but we should be already because I want us to be!”
There's going to be a lot of short term happiness

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

This is pretty spot on. The sad reality is that we aren't even through this rebuild, and it looks like we need already need to rebuild again. This rebuild has been smoke and mirrors for a few years. Yes Detroit has improved every year, but it hasn't been organically. Literally any team at the bottom of the league could have singed Copp/Perron/Ghost/or any other veteran player and gotten out of the bottom and still not made the playoffs. Does anyone actually think the core of this team is good enough to compete with teams like Toronto/Boston/New York/Carolina? Or any of the western teams? If so, I'd love to hear that argument. If not, how does Detroit realistically add the elite talent needed to compete with those teams? Free agency clearly isn't going to work. Drafting (outside of the top 6) has been mediocre at best since Yzerman took over. A franchise player isn't just going to appear out of nowhere. It might be a hot take, but the organization isn't any closer to a Stanley Cup now than they were when Yzerman took over. Sure the team is better, but the end goal is the same distance away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad