Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
This is the problem with treating a 2nd pairing as a 1st.

His contract limits what the Ducks can do. I don’t hate Fowler, but moving him now for an asset with some value makes sense. But he may be unmovable.

Mgmt needs to grow some and move him down to 2nd, maybe 3rd pair and no PP. Ride out the contract the best we can.

John

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I think the argument is: Fowler is getting caved in anyways so why not unblock the young guys.
I agree it’d be better to have Minty or Zell hemmed in. It’s quite clear Fowler is the sacrificial lamb to be given the tough minutes because no one else on the team could do remotely close to being as competent as he is at is. He’s no #1D and no one will argue that, but throwing the 21 year old D to the wolves and to get caved in is the most asinine thought process I can think of.
Fowler seems like his game has gotten stale in Anaheim and I think the fans have grown stale of Fowler.
He’s been the same here for the majority of his career. Those that can’t understand his limitations are well… not very bright.
This is the problem with treating a 2nd pairing as a 1st.

His contract limits what the Ducks can do. I don’t hate Fowler, but moving him now for an asset with some value makes sense. But he may be unmovable.

Mgmt needs to grow some and move him down to 2nd, maybe 3rd pair and no PP. Ride out the contract the best we can.

John
His contract doesn’t limit shit lol. The Ducks have how much cap space? Cam isn’t blocking or preventing any development either, if someone can show they can handle his minutes I’d 100% expect the coach to play them more or else he’d be fired. Ideally Cam is your 3rd or 4th best defenseman, but he’s quite clearly our best overall defenseman at this point and I hope that changes quickly. But trading him or demoting him to a third pairing is just going to hinder the team even more, unless of course it’s because he’s surpassed by other players who can handle his minutes better.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Easy response - caving in young defensemen can ruin them, so it’s better to sacrifice Fowler. Mintyukov playing fairly well in a sheltered role on the 3rd pairing =/= Mintyukov is ready to be a top pairing defenseman.

MintyukovSplits
Game SetGamesGAPts+/-HitsBlocksPair
1 to 63
63​
4​
24​
28​
-20​
85​
65​
1 to 20
20​
1​
10​
11​
-1​
30​
24​
Lybush 3rd pair
21 to 40
20​
1​
7​
8​
-10​
26​
19​
Lyubush, 2nd P, injury
41 to 47
7​
1​
3​
4​
-2​
10​
2​
Lyubush
48 to 55
8​
0​
2​
2​
-5​
6​
13​
Gudas, top pair
56 to 62
7​
1​
2​
3​
0​
11​
7​
LaCombe
1​
0​
0​
0​
-2​
2​
0​
Lindstrom

Here is Minty's progression last year. Minty isn't ready or still has much to prove to play top pairing. And if he is to be a top pairing guy, it appears that LaCombe is his best partner. Gudas got worn down with the extra minutes as a top pairing guy.

It helps to know that Minty and LaCombe are roommates, which shows they have chemistry on the ice. Cronin identified LaCombe as the most improve player since the start of the season.

If Minty-LaCombe is a thing next season, then maybe ...

Minty-LaCombe
Fowler-Gudas
Dumo-Zell

PK1: Dumo-Gudas
PK2: Minty-LaCombe

If Minty-LaCombe finish the kill, then the defensive pairings don't change. If Dumo-Gudas finish the kill, then Minty-LaCombe will simply come back on like it was their next shift to help maintain the pairings don't need to be switched.

Of course, the jump from last year to a possible Minty-LaCombe top pairing is a gargantuan leap that problem isn't feasible.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Anaheim did improve goals against from one of the worst ever the prior year. Fowler was worse at -36 last year.

He is sucking up a lot of minutes, but I don’t see much to show for that ice time. I don’t buy the minutes argument and our young D.

He’s not going anywhere and we can easily afford him, but I’ve moved on.

John

Reactions: Deuce22

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The ducks were a better team in 2023-2024 than they were in 2022-2023.

Injuries really did them in. They likely would have finished with like 70-75 points if not for injuries. Still bad but a clear improvement over the year prior.

I think a good target for this coming season is about 80 points. That would be my over/under going into the season

I dont see us being in playoff contention at all but it’s not unreasonable to think that it a few things break right we could be a .500 hockey team

For reference, 80-ish points would have still resulted in a likely top 10 pick last season

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Going through cap friendly, these are the RH top six guys I can see reasonably available for one reason or another:

Kyle palmieri
Rickard rakell
Josh Norris
Rutger McGroarty
Martin Necas
Patrick Laine

Not a lot of obvious candidates, and some of these guys come with huge caveats;

palms is mostly a PP guy now because his skating is bad.

Rakell has rapidly declined and isn't really suited for a top six role and only would be available because of his terrible contract.

Norris is most likely available because his shoulder is hamburger meat and is also on a terrible contract.

McGroarty might be a top six guy at some point, but he's an unknown.

Necas is the purist talent, but as trade partners we don't fit and he wants to play center

Laine is a bit of a headcase.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Going through cap friendly, these are the RH top six guys I can see reasonably available for one reason or another:

Kyle palmieri
Rickard rakell
Josh Norris
Rutger McGroarty
Martin Necas
Patrick Laine

Rakell has rapidly declined and isn't really suited for a top six role and only would be available because of his terrible contract.

Norris is most likely available because his shoulder is hamburger meat and is also on a terrible contract.

Necas is the purist talent, but as trade partners we don't fit and he wants to play center

Pretty sure Norris is a LH Center. But yeah, pretty disappointing list. I think it’s possible we’re done up front and make another move or two on defense

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
For RHD:

Trevor van Riemsdyk
Zach Whitecloud
Cody Ceci
Timothy Liljegren
Dante fabbro
Jacob Trouba
Dylan Coghlan
Henri jokiharju

Pretty sure Norris is a LH Center. But yeah, pretty disappointing list. I think it’s possible we’re done up front and make another move or two on defense
Yep, always thought he was a RH. That was never happening anyway.

ocslug

Jul 3, 2024
Orange County, CA
Does anyone know what’s wrong with Laine? Is it alcoholism or more something like major depression? Either way, maybe some California sun and OC beaches would do him well. Imagine him healthy maybe into yoga and transcendental meditation, playing on that top line with Cutter Carlsson. Make it happen, Pat!

Reactions: Son of Gib

artwork1504

Jul 7, 2020
For RHD:

Trevor van Riemsdyk
Zach Whitecloud
Cody Ceci
Timothy Liljegren
Dante fabbro
Jacob Trouba
Dylan Coghlan
Henri jokiharju

Yep, always thought he was a RH. That was never happening anyway.
coghlan is interesting, as i still believe he wasn't given fair chances both with vegas and canes.

but i'll welcome whitecloud with open arms.

Reactions: Static

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Kyle palmieri
Rickard rakell
Josh Norris
Rutger McGroarty
Martin Necas
Patrick Laine

I'd target Laine and McGroarty. Both could be cheaper than what they normally would be due to situations. Laine would be riskier, since his issues aren't necessarily hockey/talent related and he has a HUGE cap hit for 2 seasons. McGroarty would be cost controlled and fit more with the younger rebuild guys (Laine would be at the upper end).

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

Kyle palmieri
Rickard rakell
Josh Norris
Rutger McGroarty
Martin Necas
Patrick Laine

McGroarty is also left-handed just FYI.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Would you guys trade Zegras + Luneau/Zellweger + a 2nd for an extended Rantanen (8 years/11-ish AAV)

I think I would personally because the alternative is trading Zegras for a far lesser player

Obviously a lot of variables there, but…

Gauthier-Carlsson-Killorn
Rantanen-McTavish-Terry

The problem is that every target that I’m interested is left handed

There would also have to be a follow up move on defense obviously

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Does anyone know what’s wrong with Laine? Is it alcoholism or more something like major depression? Either way, maybe some California sun and OC beaches would do him well. Imagine him healthy maybe into yoga and transcendental meditation, playing on that top line with Cutter Carlsson. Make it happen, Pat!

It's mental health struggles -

"I wanted to take a moment to address my need to step away from the game for a while," Laine said Sunday in a post on Instagram. "After careful consideration and discussions with my support network and the team, I have recognized the importance of prioritizing my mental health and well-being. Hockey has been my passion and my life, but I have come to realize that in order to perform at my best, I need to take this time to focus on myself.

I am grateful for the understanding and support of my team, the League, and our fans during this time. I look forward to returning to the ice with a clear mind and renewed energy. "

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Pat did well given the circumstances. Probably flip Fabbri and Dumo at the deadline. Hopefully the kids take big steps this year and we can go into a potentially STACKED UFA (Drai/Rantanen/Marner/Crosby/Boeser/Konecny) class next year on an upward trajectory.
You know well he won't sign any of these players. How does this guy get such a free pass here but Burke who made moves and won us likely the only cup this franchise will ever win gets hate 🤣

• Love
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
Anaheim did improve goals against from one of the worst ever the prior year. Fowler was worse at -36 last year.

He is sucking up a lot of minutes, but I don’t see much to show for that ice time. I don’t buy the minutes argument and our young D.

He’s not going anywhere and we can easily afford him, but I’ve moved on.

John
You guys are crazy in your Fowler criticism. Is he #1 D, Norris candidate? No. If he was on a competitive team with a solid D partner, would he have more points and a nice positive +/-? Absolutely.

I will apologize for Fowler in his own words that I am right now making up:

"I am sorry I am not Nic Lidstrom, Prime Chris Pronger, or Scotty Neidermayer. I can not single handedly dominate a game for 28 minutes as a rare, superstar, HOF D-man can."

As for his contract term and amount? It doesn't effect this club. But he is going to eat up minutes as a sacrificial vet while the youngsters continue to mature. That sounds fantastic to me.

Reactions: DavidBL

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Deangelo is the last RD remaining that makes sense.
So just to make sure everyone is OK with team having only Johnston and Gudas as the only tough players? I'm not only talking about fighting also big hits, agitating, defense of teammates (Terry Incident) crashing the crease

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad