GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
I don't think Yzerman had done a particularly good job since he got here, but he absolutely made the right decision today not to hand out those insane contracts. I'd much rather the team take a step back and see what they got with their prospects than once again being in the middle of the league with bad contracts.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I normally don't deign to speak for someone but it seems pretty clear the poster is saying your gold standards for "growth from youth" are going to amount to jack shit when the youth bails on the sinking ship. You can bet your ass Brady is out of Ottawa the 1st chance he gets. Buffalo has been rebuilding since Drury and Briere left.

I can't say I envy many teams behind us in the standings.

I can not stress this enough...I am not the one who brought up growth from youth...

I simply stated that if true it is not unique to the DRW and that both Ottawa and Buffalos youth will continue to get better

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
We need to decide what path we are on, a spend to your cap go get good guys and compete for the playoffs or a bring the kids up, give them experience and target a solid team a couple years from now. The middle of the road Perron, Fabri, Copp, Holl, Petry types are time hogs. We have been rebuilding for 6,7,8 years now. Draft the kids and let them play, I'm not sure there is an Yzerplan at this point.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
A
I don't think Yzerman had done a particularly good job since he got here, but he absolutely made the right decision today not to hand out those insane contracts. I'd much rather the team take a step back and see what they got with their prospects than once again being in the middle of the league with bad contracts.
What’s the point of signing Kane then? Either we let the prospects see what they can do or we try bring in difference makers. This is a weird hybrid that will once again lead to no playoff purgatory where we miss but aren’t a lottery team. Worst place to be.

Reactions: Mr Nimbus

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Something is slow cooking,no doubt. Yzerman isnt standing pat this off season, and theres a clear log jam in some areas.. things are in the works. I would bet its a larger move or 2 and probably why there wasnt any major money spent today. Yzerman has most of that cap space used up in his plans, just that date is TBD. Dont see a reason why they wouldnt spend most of their cap one way or another this coming season.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
If we remain in status quo here I have no idea why we made the move we did with Walman and giving up a 2nd. It’s more and more perplexing unless they’re planning on a few buyouts as well, as there are only a certain amount allowed per year

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
No less fair than what seider and Larkin got

Larkin came through at a time where we still had a solid-ish group of forwards on the roster. He at least got to learn from Zetterberg for a little bit before we cratered out. Even when we sucked, he generally got to play with decent players like Bertuzzi and Mantha.

On Seider, I agree. His rookie season he played well in spite of our poor defense corps. The next year he found good chemistry with Walman. Last year we never quite had the right partner for him and I think his play suffered for it. I'd prefer not to run that risk again, and I'd similarly prefer not to put Edvinsson in a position where he's playing with a jobber.

It would be my preference to bring in two bona fide top 4 defensemen, one to play with Seider and the other to play with Edvinsson, and run Chiarot and Petry on the third pairing with, I guess now Gustavsson as the 7D. That feels like a pipe dream now. I'd still like to see at least one top 4D added.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
A

What’s the point of signing Kane then? Either we let the prospects see what they can do or we try bring in difference makers. This is a weird hybrid that will once again lead to no playoff purgatory where we miss but aren’t a lottery team. Worst place to be.
What's the point of signing anyone then? Why even play? Fill the LCA with sand and rent it to dirt bikers. Burn all the equipment. Curse the name "Red Wings" and from now on only refer to them as "You Know Who." Burn the swan ships of the Teleri on the shores of Middle Earth. Jettison the warp engines and crack out with the main section. Gas all decks but this one!

Some of you guys, I just can't fathom. :)

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
A

That's a one year deal and it doesn't hurt to have a vet who can still produce on a short deal. I think the real issue which is kind of causing this weird hybrid is that the team was rebuilding with a guy like Larkin in his prime. I personally would have dealt him last year for a big haul , especially knowing how stacked the top 10 was for the 2024 draft. I think that would have been a better route than being a middling team and waiting for your prospects who may not even be A-level ones to develop while Larkin nears 30.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
TLJ.jpg

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
This exactly.

My thing is the signing of Kaner. He seems more chill nowadays but no doubt this dude wants to win. Something must entice him to sticking around.

He maybe sees something in our young guys.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I agree with this in a vacuum but honestly quite a few of the contracts people are harping on aren't any worse as contracts than a bunch of the contracts he's signed the past couple offseasons relatively speaking, they're just better players

it's all well and good not to want to ante up for overpaid free agent contracts but it strikes me as odd to have no issue doing so but then suddenly get squeamish about it when there's actual good players on the table

now this name just sounds made up :laugh:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It’s funny that we heard this whole “Yzerman is cooking” 4D chess crap with the Walman trade , and now people are saying the same thing with free agency. Nothing happened w the Walman trade, there was no other shoe that dropped, it was simply a dog shit trade to dump salary that he went and spent on Cam Talbot and Jack Campbell. Yzerman is not infallible, people. If we run it back with this current roster and don’t make the playoffs, his seat has to be warm.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
This FA sucked in terms of excitement that's for sure. I get the past complaining about all the guys we brought in to play over rookies, now with letting guys walk it seems were doing the opposite, either way people are upset. If we sign Stamkos to an awful 9x4 everyone is happy and I cant say I wouldn't be, but the off season isn't over. We didn't overpay, there are more then enough teams that need to move players because they are too close to the cap and need to move D out, lets give it a minute to see what happens over the next month or so.

There is a potential in Trading away a Holl and maybe someone else to a team to serve as a depth Dman for that team, to return a guy that helps our top 4 but said team cant field a roster because they went shopping. Yes, if this is Game 1 line up, I will 100% admit this was a failed off season, but reverse the clock and I bet plenty of us wish we never Signed the Copp deal just to do something. The off season isn't one day, lets see what happens tomorrow and the day after. Ill have the pitchforks out with you if nothing happens, but if something does and we right this off season then maybe we can realize its a marathon not a sprint.

Reactions: Crunchy and lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad