Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I don't think Necas is realistic without Zegras going and I think that would be a huge mistake.

Laine makes sense though as he should be cheaper to acquire.

Zegras aside because I think it's nonsensical to trade him now, I think Necas would be a mistake. He wants to play center in the top 6 and the Ducks have zero space at that position. He also will get a big contract and I don't think he'll live up to it.

Laine, on the other hand, shouldn't cost too much and has little risk. For 2 years, as long as he's healthy, it's reasonable based on his history for 30+ goals and 60+ points. With the surplus of LD, I could see LaCombe+ for Laine not retention. I wonder if CBJ would have any interest in Strome as they need a middle six center/winger?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

Attachments

• 1720053443476.jpeg
    1720053443476.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Forwards (expected to be in the NHL or knocking on the door to be in NHL):

1. Carlsson
2. Zegras
3. McTavish
4. Terry
5. Killorn
6. Strome
7. Vatrano
8. Leason
9. Lundestrom
10. Johnston
11. Fabbri
12. Gauthier
13. McGinn
14. Regenda
15. Colangelo
16. Nesterenko

Defenseman (expected to be in NHL or knocking on the door)

1. Fowler
2. Mintyukov
3. Gudas
4. Dumolin
5. LaCombe
6. Vaakanainen
7. Zellweger
8. Luneau

Yes, you could probably send some guys down and play a bunch of guys on their off sides and somehow make it work. But it doesn’t take a genius to realize that more moves are likely coming

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The time is now old man !
What do you think the return for Fowler would be without adding to him? You won’t get a comparable RD, because they’re more valuable, so you’re looking at a bottom pairing, overpaid RD. What’s the point?

Not trolling you, I just don’t understand what type of improvement the “dump Fowler” (or the dump Gibson) crowds think those moves will bring.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
What do you think the return for Fowler would be without adding to him? You won’t get a comparable RD, because they’re more valuable, so you’re looking at a bottom pairing, overpaid RD. What’s the point?

Not trolling you, I just don’t understand what type of improvement the “dump Fowler” (or the dump Gibson) crowds think those moves will bring.

I think the argument is: Fowler is getting caved in anyways so why not unblock the young guys.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

It’s addition by subtraction, idk what teams could even realistically take fowler(that would have cap space and that he wouldn’t decline)

In gibsons case it was if you could find value for him…. But if not it’s fine to keep him as long as he knows it’s dostals net unless gibson wins it back.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think the argument is: Fowler is getting caved in anyways so why not unblock the young guys.
Easy response - caving in young defensemen can ruin them, so it’s better to sacrifice Fowler. Mintyukov playing fairly well in a sheltered role on the 3rd pairing =/= Mintyukov is ready to be a top pairing defenseman.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It’s addition by subtraction, idk what teams could even realistically take fowler(that would have cap space and that he wouldn’t decline)

In gibsons case it was if you could find value for him…. But if not it’s fine to keep him as long as he knows it’s dostals net unless gibson wins it back.
I just don’t get this for Fowler, unless his lethargic play persists this year. Gibson, I get that, his on ice demeanor is…lacking. I just don’t get the “Fowler and LaCombe were no good on the top pairing, so just jettison them instead of trying to slot them where they should be”. Not having at least a comparable player on defense means the defense is simply worse.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
Between the Fowler hate and the Trouba hate, and Rangers fans want Fowler and Ducks fans want Trouba. I’m gonna need some serious therapy.
Not to get off topic here, but is Schneider a legit T4 D? Or would NYR be looking to add another T4 D if they trade Trouba?

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Easy response - caving in young defensemen can ruin them, so it’s better to sacrifice Fowler. Mintyukov playing fairly well in a sheltered role on the 3rd pairing =/= Mintyukov is ready to be a top pairing defenseman.

If it was up to me I'd keep Fowler and start giving Minty/Zel more opportunities on PP1 to see if somebody establishes themself (oh lord I'd love to have a functioning power play).

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not to get off topic here, but is Schneider a legit T4 D? Or would NYR be looking to add another T4 D if they trade Trouba?

I like Schneider, has Top 4 potential. Right now, the only Rangers D who have looked solid have been Fox, Schneider, and Jones. Miller has been up and down. Lindgren has riden the Fox coattails , and Trouba………no comment

I doubt the Rangers will want to part with Schneider.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I just don’t get this for Fowler, unless his lethargic play persists this year. Gibson, I get that, his on ice demeanor is…lacking. I just don’t get the “Fowler and LaCombe were no good on the top pairing, so just jettison them instead of trying to slot them where they should be”. Not having at least a comparable player on defense means the defense is simply worse.

A comparable defensively to fowler is setting the bar low….

If you’re specifically talking mins, you just make the mins more equal across the pairings. Fowler’s biggest talking point is he plays big mins… which we can all agree isn’t good for him or the team.

You can do that with fowler in the line up, but then the issue is how much of a fit is fowler, if he starts losing powerplay mins to lacombe Mintyukov zellweger… he’s never really been an above average penalty killer. Now we’re moving young guys to their off side.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Fowler is 32, has a M-NTC with a 6.5m cap hit for the next 2 years.

In 22/23 he had 18 hits.

I’m not sure what the return would be.

That said, I would take Laine for him. But I doubt he waives and goes to Columbus.

John

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
A comparable defensively to fowler is setting the bar low….

If you’re specifically talking mins, you just make the mins more equal across the pairings. Fowler’s biggest talking point is he plays big mins… which we can all agree isn’t good for him or the team.

You can do that with fowler in the line up, but then the issue is how much of a fit is fowler, if he starts losing powerplay mins to lacombe Mintyukov zellweger… he’s never really been an above average penalty killer. Now we’re moving young guys to their off side.
Fowler played well with 2nd pairing duties. He clearly has to hold back on doing the things he does best when he’s getting 24-25 minutes instead of 17-18. Saying “he’s no good at 18, even though we haven’t tried that” makes no sense to me.

Zellweger, Mintyukov, Vaakanainen, LaCombe, Doumolin - the same 2 guys are getting moved to the right side regardless of if (when) Luneau can’t hack top pairing this year with or without Fowler on the roster, that’s a red herring.

I don’t see a reason to not use Fowler, Mintyukov, AND Zellweger on the PP. it’s not going to matter much when we are getting so few anyway. It’s embarrassing that Fowler led the team with all of 2:14 per game, the other two wer at 1:56 and 1:45 respectively. Getting Fowler off the PK would be ideal. He led the team with 3:14 per game, which is just bad coaching. Swap his ass out for Doumolin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad