GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You can't do the same. You have to do better. That's how bidding works.
1$ over...

You're assuming we DID offer the exact same deal and they simply said "drop dead Yzerman.."

But again the question was which deal today would I want not how much more I think SY would have to offer to convince a player to wanna play in Detroit

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Necessary actions should not be confused for sufficient actions. He may have needed to move Walman to attempt something in free agency. It does not mean, however, that his free agency plans were guaranteed to come to fruition no matter how much he was wiling to overpay. Detroit is not an inherently desirable location and sells itself to free agents and we aren't that competitive at the moment.
Inherently desirable location? This is not Utah HC, we are an original 6 franchise led by a Hall of Famer where the USNDTP is located along with OHL teams. Michigan is a hockey hotbed, so while I get it’s not South Beach, it’s not Dearh Vally either. There was a time when gettjng traded to Florida or Tampa was being sent to purgatory

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
But again the question was which deal today would I want not how much more I think SY would have to offer to convince a player to wanna play in Detroit

Yzerman didn't overpay for anyone. Pretty much picked up just bargains.

Also, didn't f*** the rebuild up with terms. Only 1- or 2-year deals.

Quite sure all of those players will overachieve their next season salaries.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Inherently desirable location? This is not Utah HC, we are an original 6 franchise led by a Hall of Famer where the USNDTP is located along with OHL teams. Michigan is a hockey hotbed, so while I get it’s not South Beach, it’s not Dearh Vally either. There was a time when gettjng traded to Florida or Tampa was being sent to purgatory

Lots of lean years and the damage done by Mike Babcock have done tremendous harm to Detroit being an attractive market. But hopefully with the likes of Kane being here and others to come that will slowly change.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Lots of lean years and the damage done by Mike Babcock have done tremendous harm to Detroit being an attractive market. But hopefully with the likes of Kane being here and others to come that will slowly change.

Babcock deserves plenty of blame but he cannot be blamed for Yzerman not signing players in the summer of 2024.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Good with Gus at 2M tbh

Wonder if the term makes the biggest play in here...

They could project Sandin Pellikka to be in here in 2 years. So Gustafsson did fit in the plan, but Ghost demanded more years. And did get them from Carolina.

Babcock deserves plenty of blame but he cannot be blamed for Yzerman not signing players in the summer of 2024.

Babcock was last time in here... what... until 2014-15.

Zero factor for these days.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

You will win more hockey games with a guy you're paying $6 million playing like he's worth $5.25 million than with a guy you're paying $875K playing like he's work $900K

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Do you yiu honestly think that had he signed, let's say Stamkos to that deal, that

1.. it would have f... up the rebuild?
2. Who during the life of Stamkos new x4 year deal in Detroits system, would both have earned but unfortunately have to be dealt away because of that Stamkos contract? The answer is 99% nobody...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Is Husso going to be our starter and Talbot the back up or is Husso going be traded. What about Lyon?

I don't like the way Husso plays. Too many back breaking soft goals, he only won early season when the team was putting up big numbers.

Talbot starter, Lyon backup, Husso is the 3rd goalie like Reimer was last season. Campbell splits starts in GR with Cossa, and Gylander will wind up in Toledo. Gylander played college last season with Colgate, he has no pro experience.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
You can't do the same. You have to do better. That's how bidding works.
Whatever they signed for... And one penny
1719865062011.png

• Haha
Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad