GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If Yzerman would’ve given Stamkos what he’s supposedly getting in Nashville, everyone would be complaining. I never would’ve gon $8 million over 4 years.

This is Canada Day. The money we’re hearing for Monahan is stupid too. $5 million over 5 years. His injuries could flare up at any moment.

You can’t win with some fans. I swear half the people who post comments on the internet are just unhappy human beings, who have to let it out somewhere, so they pick a computer/phone screen.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Trotz going full Steve.
If Yzerman would’ve given Stamkos what he’s supposedly getting in Nashville, everyone would be complaining. I never would’ve gon $8 million over 4 years.

This is Canada Day. The money we’re hearing for Monahan is stupid too. $5 million over 5 years. His injuries could flare up at any moment.

You can’t win with some fans. I swear half the people who post comments on the internet are just unhappy human beings, who have to let it out somewhere, so they pick a computer/phone screen.
Yes, pretty much.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

And you're right as 4x8 would have been too much... but my god, I just wanted to see Stamkos in Detroit.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Personally wouldn't have been that upset about Stamkos at 4 x 8, more term than I would like but 40 goal scorers are not cheap. Tampa should be ashamed they let him go. I don't see him falling off a cliff that fast.. while age is a factor, that's essentially the Debrincat contract we just handed out last year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul. You want the instant gratification of 34 year-old Stamkos while ignoring what impact his cap hit will have on this team when we approach our competitive window three years from now. Stamkos will fall off of a cliff at some point. My guess is that it occurs during the next four years (like most players). He improves us during the short term, but makes us worse when we really need him to make us better.

Did we learn nothing about older players during the Holland years?
I don't understand where people think this cap issue is coming from. In 3 years, all of the following players will be gone:
* Copp
* Husso
* Holl
* Fabbri
* Kane
* Maatta
* Petry

That's $27M right there. Now sure, if you give Stamkos a 4 year deal, the last year might be ugly. But how is one year of ugly on one player going to ruin anything for Detroit?

Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

Crying-Salute-meme-2.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad