GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Not sure how this doesn't make any sense in this guy's eyes. If Levi shows that he's ready to be UPL's backup, Reimer goes to Rochester and earns $1M for doing so while counting nothing against the cap. If the Sabres want Levi to start games in Rochester, then Reimer stays up to be UPL's backup and Levi gets the lion's share of the starts in Rochester.

My GUESS is that Levi is going to do the Buffalo-Rochester shuffle a LOT this year. He'll get some games in both the AHL and NHL, and Reimer will be the in-game backup more often than not. (yes, maybe we carry 3 goalies ON OCCASION)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Same, I just felt the need to add that as a possible stipulation, just in case. In my eyes this is getting an AHL goaltender who, in the worse case, can come up if Levi struggles. It being a 1 way contract is IMO just a way of ensuring Reimer gets paid so he would come here to Likely play in the AHL. He probably wouldn't sign if it was a 2 way deal.
Plus, if they expect him to start in Rochester, giving him a one-way $1M deal makes it more likely that he clears waivers.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sure makes sense to me. Let's see if it makes sense to Ruff/Adams. Given that Adams is already on record as saying that UPL/Levi will be the goalie tandem this year............I'm skeptical.
I think signing Reimer is a strong signal that they will play Levi in Rochester. A lot.

Let Levi play in Rochester and only bring him up when he’s starting. Having him sit on an NHL bench is foolish.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Watch the sabres do something out of left field and trade UPL and then go with Levi/reimer

But honestly this signing is so Levi can play a full time starters slate of games between buffalo and Rochester

I'd guess the game breakdown in the NHL will be a long the lines of

Upl - 40ish
Reimer - 15ish
Levi - 20ish

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I will say this about Adams - in an offseason in which he knows could be his last as GM if the Sabres don't make the playoffs, he hasn't gone all-in and mortgaged the future by trading off a bunch of prospects and future picks and hamstringing our future cap space with a bunch of trades and signings that are very poor value but should be enough to push us over the playoff line for a season or two. I still think he's being too cautious, though I will take him on his word that he went for big moves and they didn't happen. I also think we may see a big move or two yet, especially around Joki. But he really believes in his plan and he's willing to go down with it.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I will say this about Adams - in an offseason in which he knows could be his last as GM if the Sabres don't make the playoffs, he hasn't gone all-in and mortgaged the future by trading off a bunch of prospects and future picks and hamstringing our future cap space with a bunch of trades and signings that are very poor value but should be enough to push us over the playoff line for a season or two. I still think he's being too cautious, though I will take him on his word that he went for big moves and they didn't happen. I also think we may see a big move or two yet, especially around Joki. But he really believes in his plan and he's willing to go down with it.
I've been generally happy, I just 100% need to see an upgrade at 3C, it is an appalling failure if they do not. If Tage or Cozens is injured we have to rely on Krebs at 2C and probably like Savoie at 3C, yikes.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wonder if Adams knows this could be his last as GM.

I think that could be a media and fan narrative more than a reality.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I wonder if Adams knows this could be his last as GM.

I think that could be a media and fan narrative more than a reality.

I believe he talks to Pegula regularly and keeps preaching patience in his plan. But I am sure Murray and Botts did the same thing. The difference is probably that Pegula actually likes Adams and I'm not sure he ever warmed up to GMTM or GMJB and honestly I'm not sure I would if I was him either - though I'd have a beer or three with Murray any day. I just wouldn't want to be responsible for making sure he got home safely after.

• Haha
Reactions: kirby11

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I believe he talks to Pegula regularly and keeps preaching patience in his plan. But I am sure Murray and Botts did the same thing. The difference is probably that Pegula actually likes Adams and I'm not sure he ever warmed up to GMTM or GMJB and honestly I'm not sure I would if I was him either - though I'd have a beer or three with Murray any day. I just wouldn't want to be responsible for making sure he got home safely after.
Pegula talked specifically about "not feeling heard" after Botterill was fired.

As long as Adams is in lock step with what Terry wants and there are not huge culture issues like at the end of the Murray tenure, I think Adams has a long leash with Terry.

Last edited:

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
The contract won't look good the last couple of years, but 5.75 probably isn't an immediate overpay. He's had a few really good years. I mean we gave KO 6M 8 years ago, which adjusts to a little over 7M today
They'd be lucky if the contract looked good after 3 years.

Only being bad the last few years is like best case scenario

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
For those, like me, still coveting an actual 3C, in spite of Adams' happy talk about Krebs ... Roslovic is still available.
I hope they add somebody, because even after re-signing Krebs and Malenstyn they only have 12 FWs. I hate to think KA wants to start the season with some combo of two rookies getting spare time minutes.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I just think Adams has too much pride or someone does since Krebs was a main piece coming back for Eichel where he’s not gonna bring someone in to have Krebs ride the press box (becuase the 4th line guys right now would be better for that line than him even if he was to be pushed down) then they’d have to scratch one of those guys every single night, and it seems like malenstyn won’t get scratched because they paid a premium asset and there is no point to scratch aube kubel because he provides speed and forechecking which we need. So then it would come down to Krebs or lafferty for line 4. I think we can all agree lafferty is better suited for that role. I just don’t think the gm or owner or whatever is going to bite the bullet on their Eichel return just yet

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I just think Adams has too much pride or someone does since Krebs was a main piece coming back for Eichel where he’s not gonna bring someone in to have Krebs ride the press box (becuase the 4th line guys right now would be better for that line than him even if he was to be pushed down) then they’d have to scratch one of those guys every single night, and it seems like malenstyn won’t get scratched because they paid a premium asset and there is no point to scratch aube kubel because he provides speed and forechecking which we need. So then it would come down to Krebs or lafferty for line 4. I think we can all agree lafferty is better suited for that role. I just don’t think the gm or owner or whatever is going to bite the bullet on their Eichel return just yet
Then that's a really stupid position to be in, they need to improve their roster to make the playoffs, not think they'll lose face in the Eichel deal if Krebs is on the fourth line, a healthy scratch, or gets traded.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Then that's a really stupid position to be in, they need to improve their roster to make the playoffs, not think they'll lose face in the Ickle deal if Krebs is on the fourth line, a healthy scratch, or gets traded.
Yeah trust me I know, but that’s been the most obvious hole (I mean I’d put bottom 6 above everything else because it’s just been a mess for so long) but it’s gotta be like that because he gets treated like a core peice when he’s shown absolutley nothing in his couple years here. Like I could care less that he’s buddies with byram and all these other guys they bring in because they want some big friend hangout situation. But when they bring in guys and they talk about oooo krebsy good buddies with these guys, it’s like that’s what they care about or something

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't think there is a bullet to bite, yet. Krebs is still a promising player at an important position. I have no problem letting him take ownership of the third line. That said, if Pinto becomes available or someone of that Ilk, I would include Krebs. I feel a line of Zucker - Krebs - Aube Kubel has the makings of a very solid 3rd line. If after the first 15-20 games or so Krebs is absolutely drowning, then you start calling in some of those touch bases you had over the summer.

Reactions: RWatson29

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I don't think there is a bullet to bite, yet. Krebs is still a promising player at an important position. I have no problem letting him take ownership of the third line. That said, if Pinto becomes available or someone of that Ilk, I would include Krebs. I feel a line of Zucker - Krebs - Aube Kubel has the makings of a very solid 3rd line. If after the first 15-20 games or so Krebs is absolutely drowning, then you start calling in some of those touch bases you had over the summer.
Yeah like I’m willing to see what he can do with the extended role im just worried about when/if it doesn’t work out. There’s just no insurance at that position and if he goes out and gets caved in he’s dropping his already low value even more. I hope he can succeed but he hasn’t shown really anything to be optimistic about besides his age and draft position. I mean I hope I’m wrong because I want the team to succeed, it just seems like he’s been given a massive leash because of how we got him. That’s just my opinion though

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Not gonna succeed as a GM if you hold pride high with a guy like Krebs because of the Eichel situation. I know you said you agree.

As much as there is frustration with KA (mine MAIN and almost ONLY one is the constant gripe about wanting guys that want to be a Sabre, like who does without some solid convincing/presentation?), I can't imagine he props krebs up because of who they traded to get him. If that's the case he needs to be shot into the moon.

The Sabres need to take pages out of the Bills book. If we have cap room, then we need to use it to create competition at each and every position. Overpay a guy like Roslovic, but at the same time if Krebs out works him, then fine, if not then it's Roslovic's 3C spot. If Savoie comes in and burns the house down then you sit/trade Krebs AND Roslovic.

I'm still holding out hope there is a Kreb + Joki + a 1B prospect for a 3C out there. (Zegras? Some other team that is actually cap strapped?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad