GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
There is still the problem of 3C which hasnt been adressed, I dont like the Krebs gamble.
The top4D core while talented lacks exp & physicality and good dzone play expect Dahlin.
Given how other teams loaded up in the east & were already better, the Sabres gonna need a lot of luck & things aligning to even take a sniff at post season.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Should please the "KA is the worst GM ever!"-crowd.

In general I don't understand the bitching and whining about GMKA standing still and not making a splash. I mean there weren't really high priority UFA players on the market that would be coming to Buffalo barring sick overpayment, its depth players for us. The most valuable assests that the team has are already on the team so trading is the way to go if any. Team like the Sabres build on drafting and developing (or trading these players).

Also in my mind the most important move of the off-season was done the day Meatballs was let go. A team of nobodies with a good system can do wonders while a team of big names with no system can be a total shitshow. It's not about the names on the back but more about how to utilize those names and we have the players already that either are expected to take the jump or bounce back.
He failed miserably at the whole trading thing as well, and now we are left hoping Lindy pulls a Barry Trotz and magically makes a subpar roster almost nobody believes will be anything but also-rans a playoff team.

Jage

Oct 29, 2022
He failed miserably at the whole trading thing as well, and now we are left hoping Lindy pulls a Barry Trotz and magically makes a subpar roster almost nobody believes will be anything but also-rans a playoff team.
On the bolded, how so? Because he didn't get fleeced on the draft day?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Should please the "KA is the worst GM ever!"-crowd.

In general I don't understand the bitching and whining about GMKA standing still and not making a splash. I mean there weren't really high priority UFA players on the market that would be coming to Buffalo barring sick overpayment, its depth players for us. The most valuable assests that the team has are already on the team so trading is the way to go if any. Team like the Sabres build on drafting and developing (or trading these players).

Also in my mind the most important move of the off-season was done the day Meatballs was let go. A team of nobodies with a good system can do wonders while a team of big names with no system can be a total shitshow. It's not about the names on the back but more about how to utilize those names and we have the players already that either are expected to take the jump or bounce back.
It’s about the fact that Kevyn fails at getting the job done. End of the day, even Kevyn knew he needed to make a splash and by most of not all accounts, he was trying but he couldn’t close the deal, and regardless of the reasoning why it didn’t close, it’s rooted into Kevin’s inactions and actions of his time here and their consequences.

And then Kevyn did what he does, he fell back into the habit of going the cheaper route, while leaving a massive amount of cap space untouched(so far), once again questioning just how committed he is to trying to win.

He may or may not be the worst GM, but IMO he’s a guy that is ineffectual at his job and seemingly comes across way too pompous for the results he produced.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
7 years for a 29 year old defender is not a steal or a reasonable deal. It will age like milk like most of the deals today. This is 2016 all over again.
The contract won't look good the last couple of years, but 5.75 probably isn't an immediate overpay. He's had a few really good years. I mean we gave KO 6M 8 years ago, which adjusts to a little over 7M today

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Imagine being Kyle Okposo or Zemgus Girgensons, watching Kevyn Adams work and realizing he’s saying “you” were the problem last year. Now that’s he’s replaced you with pure grinders, he likes the look of the roster.
I gotta imagine Okposo could care less now that he won a Cup in a similar role with Florida. Girgs was offered a deal and turned it down. So I don’t think Adams felt he was a problem.

Its seems more likely he was referring to Skinner specifically and maybe even Mitts. Or just the overall makeup of the team. Which is ironically a shot at himself as GM.

Jage

Oct 29, 2022
It’s about the fact that Kevyn fails at getting the job done. End of the day, even Kevyn knew he needed to make a splash and by most of not all accounts, he was trying but he couldn’t close the deal, and regardless of the reasoning why it didn’t close, it’s rooted into Kevin’s inactions and actions of his time here and their consequences.

What's the splash you would prefer just so I get a feeling what type of transaction you consider to be a splash.

I'd much prefer myself for GMKA to make a smart deal and not something that reeks of desperation.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I gotta imagine Okposo could care less now that he won a Cup in a similar role with Florida. Girgs was offered a deal and turned it down. So I don’t think Adams felt he was a problem.

Its seems more likely he was referring to Skinner specifically and maybe even Mitts. Or just the overall makeup of the team. Which is ironically a shot at himself as GM.
I think it was more of a shot at Granato and his vision for the team as that 4th line has Lindy's vision for a team that is hard to play against all over it.

I think this is about the change in approach due to the change in stage of the build. Personally, they should have remade the 4th line a year ago instead of running it back with Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo.

But, Adams is frustrated and feeling the heat, so he is lashing out at guys that aren't here anymore.

Everyone needs to be better. And Adams is at the front of that line.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
And thank god he didn't get run out of town at the start of last year, which could have easily happened when he started slowly and paring down the goalie room from three to two became a fan obsession.

We'd truly be up shit's creek right now if we had lost him in the shuffle.

His ascension 1/3 of the way into last season was revelatory. I had seen nothing from him in a long long time to indicate something like that was imminent or even possible.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
If nothing else, Sabre's have not "Regret Today" since Okposo. Nashville belongs in the top and the regret section at the same time. Anaheim is hilarious.
The difference is, he’s actually good at his job and is correct when he sees promise in someone.
There is an annoying misconception from GM's that fans don't know anything. Maybe it's the dumb people calling into radios. Were out here on cap friendly developing rosters and signing contracts after watching the product, we know what we need, and what these players are. We know how dumb some of the WGR takes are and how bad PHam is at his job.

Sure we all have bias and favorites and bicker, but the only thing we don't see is their interactions in the office. If he wants to stake his job on Krebs as 3C and Benson in the top 6, maybe he doesn't know his team.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What's the splash you would prefer just so I get a feeling what type of transaction you consider to be a splash.

I'd much prefer myself for GMKA to make a smart deal and not something that reeks of desperation.
Utilizing your 1st rounder(close to a top 10 pick), to acquire an immediate help for the roster which is what ALL reporting was saying, is something I would say is a splash. Especially at the standard Kevyn has handled prior business, I would say would be a splash-like move.

Of course we all would like GMKA to make smart deals, but his inaction from years prior where holes could've been addressed, where they could've become competitive, (which could've shifted the perception of the organization favorably), is at the 'chickens have come home to roost' point.

This unfortunately leads to those become desperate in an effort to hold onto their job. Trading a 2nd Rounder for a 4th line RFA, where Malenstyn probably didn't have many suitors looking for his services, feels like desperation to me.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Utilizing your 1st rounder(close to a top 10 pick), to acquire an immediate help for the roster which is what ALL reporting was saying, is something I would say is a splash. Especially at the standard Kevyn has handled prior business, I would say would be a splash-like move.

Of course we all would like GMKA to make smart deals, but his inaction from years prior where holes could've been addressed, where they could've become competitive, (which could've shifted the perception of the organization favorably), is at the 'chickens have come home to roost' point.

This unfortunately leads to those become desperate in an effort to hold onto their job. Trading a 2nd Rounder for a 4th line RFA, where Malenstyn probably didn't have many suitors looking for his services, feels like desperation to me.
The problem is that for all the rumors that teams were open to trade top 15 picks in this draft for NHLers, none of those trades happened. I think GMs that were looking to sell NHLers were not placing a ton of value in top 15 picks in this draft.

Ottawa giving up the 25th pick in the Ullmark deal was the highest pick that moved.

NJ was rumored to have their 1st on the table and it was their 2025 1st that moved in the Markstrom trade.

And all the top 6 forwards like Marner, Laine, Necas, Zegras, and Ehlers that were in the rumor mill have yet to move in trade.

Those are all the top 6 forwards that were in the rumor mill and none have moved.

Goalies, D, and depth forwards have moved, though.

:dunno:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
So no Levi?

I guess it depends. If it's insurance for in case Levi isn't ready or UPL takes a step back, then great.

If it's main purpose is to continue to slow cook Levi in the A, then not as big of a fan. Levi was already borderline dominant at that level

1719927234288.png

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm pretty shocked they actually signed a legit backup goalie.

Making Levi earn the backup spot is a great idea.

The absolute worst case scenario is Levi wins the spot and we lose Reimer on waivers, which, if it happens, we've lost nothing because Reimer cost us zero assets other than if there is a signing bonus involved.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We can still put him down in the AHL if he doesn't have a NMC. Nobody gonna claim him on waivers. He just still gets his NHL paycheque. I don't mind it as insurance. Bad insurance, but insurance no less.
Levi is on his ELC. He cannot have a NMC this early in his career.

And he does not need to clear waivers to go to Rochester, either.

RyJo and Levi are waivers exempt. That is why I would prefer that they start the season in Rochester. It gives them playing time and the Sabres have waiver exempt depth guys that should be able to be relied upon if they need them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad