GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
To be fair, most other teams probably don't have a quarter of their contracts expiring all at once on players they want to retain. I said it earlier today and I don't think anyone noticed, if the Sabres signed all FAs today to multi-year deals and filled up the cap space, there would be no relief next year to resign Quinn, Peterka, Levi, Byram, and whatever they decide on Greenway. They really do need some money for futures unless you don't want those players on your team anymore.

We're 2 years removed from being the 3rd highest scoring team in the league and we missed the playoffs. Last year the Panthers scored 20 goals more than the Sabres and won the Cup. IMHO I think the idea that we need to play run-and-gun and outscore teams 5-4 in order to win games should be shot dead and buried. I'm just as happy winning games 2-1 like Florida if Ruff can get the team simply to buy in to being responsible and harder to play against.
I'm all for playing tighter defense, but in case you never noticed, there are no Cs on the roster that know how to shut any scoring C down in a playoff series.

blackrock

Feb 8, 2007
Comparing opening night last year vs projected this year:

Out . . . . . . . . . . . . . In
Skinner . . . . . . . . . . Zucker
Olofsson . . . . . . . . . Quinn
Mitts . . . . . . . . . . . . Lafferty
Okposo . . . . . . . . . . Aube-Kubel
Girgensons . . . . . . . Malenstyn
E. Johnson . . . . . . . . Byram
Jost . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rousek
Comrie . . . . . . . . . . . Gilbert/14F?

Having Quinn back from injury makes that look much better than it would otherwise.

I think we'd all agree Byram is an upgrade on E Johnson. I suspect nearly everyone would agree that the new fourth line wingers are significantly better than Okposo and Girgs. Obviously Mitts to Lafferty is a big downgrade. I think most people would say Zucker is a big downgrade from Skinner, but I think that's only a slight downgrade.

Reactions: HOOats

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
The arena is being renovated as we speak and this team will have about 7 - 8 million in cap space if they stay put. He is also paying Granato to not be here and probably some other people too. This would be the exact opposite of cheap.
Sounds like they are replacing the video board and the roof with some other minor upgrades. I would bet that they have to fix the roof. Based on how there have been very little upgrades for years that still sounds pretty cheap to me.

Reactions: sabremike

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Comparing opening night last year vs projected this year:

Out . . . . . . . . . . . . . In
Skinner . . . . . . . . . . Zucker
Olofsson . . . . . . . . . Quinn
Mitts . . . . . . . . . . . . Lafferty
Okposo . . . . . . . . . . Aube-Kubel
Girgensons . . . . . . . Malenstyn
E. Johnson . . . . . . . . Byram
Jost . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rousek
Comrie . . . . . . . . . . . Gilbert/14F?

Having Quinn back from injury makes that look much better than it would otherwise.

I think we'd all agree Byram is an upgrade on E Johnson. I suspect nearly everyone would agree that the new fourth line wingers are significantly better than Okposo and Girgs. Obviously Mitts to Lafferty is a big downgrade. I think most people would say Zucker is a big downgrade from Skinner, but I think that's only a slight downgrade.
Cool, now what date do we play the 2023-2024 Sabres opening roster?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I mean, Cozens has the pedigree and will actully be used/developed that way by Ruff. But more importantly, we don’t need that quite yet to actually make the playoffs.
And I'm hopeful, I really am. Better yet, I would be more hopeful if there were two experienced Cs on the roster so Cozens could play with Benson and Greenway, or Greenway and Quinn in a checking role. Then if that doesn't work out there is the flexibility to move Cozens to RW. There's no depth or flexibility at all, so as soon as injuries hit I see Cozens getting put unfairly way over his head.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The arena is being renovated as we speak and this team will have about 7 - 8 million in cap space if they stay put. He is also paying Granato to not be here and probably some other people too. This would be the exact opposite of cheap.
Why would they re-sign Jokiharju if there is no room for him in the squad? And adding Zucker is very questionable at that salary, yes only one year, but a top 6 forward would make more sense. Or even a trade for Iafallo, who is better than Zucker on defense and PK.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Why would they re-sign Jokiharju if there is no room for him in the squad? And adding Zucker is very questionable at that salary, yes only one year, but a top 6 forward would make more sense. Or even a trade for Iafallo, who is better than Zucker on defense and PK.
When did they re-sign Jokiharju? They offered him a QO to maintain his rights, but there's no contract (yet).

Doesn't mean it won't happen, but still.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Zucker is fine for one year at 5mil - as long as he’s a 3rd liner. Where else are the spending that money and has no effect on long term

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

I think in a vacuum Zucker is a downgrade from Skinner. When you take into account JJP moving to the top line however and Skinner having to play on the 2nd or 3rd line to accommodate that it becomes less of a downgrade. Skinner was far less effective in a middle 6 role so it becomes much less of a downgrade, especially if Zucker can offer more than just scoring some goals.

If everything remains the same as last year in terms of goals allowed, improving the power play would be a net gain. Just being middle of the pack on the PP would have probably won them a few more games. I don't think they're as far off as some suggest, and Ruff holding players accountable will have an impact.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
When did they re-sign Jokiharju? They offered him a QO to maintain his rights, but there's no contract (yet).

Doesn't mean it won't happen, but still.
No, I know, I meant maybe they'll trade him for picks. Considering we probably have Dahlin, Sammy, Power and Byram in the top 4.

Zucker is fine for one year at 5mil - as long as he’s a 3rd liner. Where else are the spending that money and has no effect on long term
I don't have a problem with Zucker as a third line player throughout the year, I don't like that we didn't add a top 6 forward and 3C.

Reactions: kirby11

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
This is the year you have to hope that Savoie/Rosen/Kulich blow the doors off when they're called up.

Literally the only way. The problem is, if that happens, KA will have lucked into the playoffs and he has shown no ability to build a winning team or make moves to better a winning team.

I like KA’s tear down.

I like KA’s rebuild when the focus was on drafting prospects.

Barring KA making some trades this off-season, his ability to build a winner has been bad.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
No, I know, I meant maybe they'll trade him for picks. Considering we probably have Dahlin, Sammy, Power and Byram in the top 4.

I don't have a problem with Zucker as a third line player throughout the year, I don't like that we didn't add a top 6 forward and 3C.
💯

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario

He’ll score 40 easy with McDavid but he’s still not a good player and doesn’t help the Pp but I bet it’s for cheap and it’ll be way better than a 9M deal lol

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Skinner with McDavid would be weird to watch. The least straight line player with the fastest straight line player.
Yeah I mean if he was smart he wouldn’t try to touch the puck if he played with McDavid because he’s not very good with it but McDavid is just next level like he could just go to soft spots around the net and McDavid is gonna find him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad