Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
It seems like the only Dmen left are offensive puck movers and not what we need. Seem like there's something else cooking right now since we missed out on our LHD3

Reactions: Viqsi

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Okay the Monahan 5x5 signing wasn't good and now it looks like the same CBJ in FA. There has to be a problem with something else in the is organization that puts off FA's - pro staff, Jarmo's dealings, coaching turnovers, has to be something. It seems we are on every stars NTC list.

Nashville - reloads
NJ - honestly not that great of a place especially with taxes
Chicago - scandal and bottom feeder but reloading
Washington - C'mon

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Okay the Monahan 5x5 signing wasn't good and now it looks like the same CBJ in FA. There has to be a problem with something else in the is organization that puts off FA's - pro staff, Jarmo's dealings, coaching turnovers, has to be something. It seems we are on every stars NTC list.

Nashville - reloads
NJ - honestly not that great of a place especially with taxes
Chicago - scandal and bottom feeder but reloading
Washington - C'mon
We finished as a lottery team last season? What do you expect?!

It's going to take YEARS of winning to change that...

Nothing else, no matter who we hire or sign will change that. Winning is the only way out of this funk we've been in.

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Seems like a partial tear-down and thinning out for the CBJ. With the Metro and East getting better on paper looks like we are picking top 5 again next year, with running back this defense top 2 pairing (assuming rookies in third pairing). I am starting to get very nervous and thinking a 3 yr plan for DW.

A lot different than I was thinking and hearing.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Not looking good for next year right now. I guess they'll have to get that defensive LD in a Laine trade. Gavrikov? Ferraro? Either that or they'll basically have to have Mateychuk starting.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Seems like a partial tear-down and thinning out for the CBJ. With the Metro and East getting better on paper looks like we are picking top 5 again next year, with running back this defense top 2 pairing (assuming rookies in third pairing). I am starting to get very nervous and thinking a 3 yr plan for DW.

This is the demo stage of the renovation. ;)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m not worried either. Even if we go into the season as we are right now, I think we improved.

I would like to add a defensive defenseman. Maybe that comes in a Laine deal. Maybe it comes in a completely out of nowhere trade. Or maybe it doesn’t happen and we run with Mateychuk and Christiansen as our 6th and 7th D. That’s all fine

We aren’t making the playoffs this year anyway. No sense in going all out for a defender this year especially since next years UFA class (as of now) is elite. Want to be able to play in that if able to.

Reactions: We Want Ten

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

There is being a doomer and then there is this. He has been in charge for 34 days. We all discussed he had a bloated roster and needed to clear people. He has cleared people, he go a decent center to sure up the position, he still has Laine to trade. Yes, not getting a dman yet sucks, but maybe the "come to a project premium." priced the players out of what he was willing to spend. Do you want a 2nd Severson contract? The Monahan contract isn't amazing, but it is by no means terrible. Let man finish the off season before we toss him to the fire.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The contract Pesce signed with New Jersey had the same AAV and only one more year of term than the one we gave to Monahan. Roy was only $250K/yr more. All three players, incidentally, are the same age.

Shoot me now.

Reactions: Napoli

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
It's rumoured Vegas wants to dump Pietrangelo. Columbus easily have the cap space to take his entire salary on. Trade Laine for Ferraro/Gavrikov and then maybe some picks, prospects or depth players for Pietrangelo? A man can dream...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's rumoured Vegas wants to dump Pietrangelo. Columbus easily have the cap space to take his entire salary on. Trade Laine for Ferraro/Gavrikov and then maybe some picks, prospects or depth players for Pietrangelo? A man can dream...
Petro has not exactly been a beacon of defensive competence lately; I'm not shocked they'd be looking at moving him. His everything else has so far made up for it, but then we're right back to where we're started.

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
There is being a doomer and then there is this. He has been in charge for 34 days. We all discussed he had a bloated roster and needed to clear people. He has cleared people, he go a decent center to sure up the position, he still has Laine to trade. Yes, not getting a dman yet sucks, but maybe the "come to a project premium." priced the players out of what he was willing to spend. Do you want a 2nd Severson contract? The Monahan contract isn't amazing, but it is by no means terrible. Let man finish the off season before we toss him to the fire.
Not tossing him in the fire just getting nervous about clearing out the defense and that has been the issue but most possible UFA's that were out there are drying up. He has already not changing out Elvis and that is another part of the issue. So I went into this with eyes wide open.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
The contract Pesce signed with New Jersey had the same AAV and only one more year of term than the one we gave to Monahan. Roy was only $250K/yr more. All three players, incidentally, are the same age.

Shoot me now.
Roy was also signed for 7 years, no? That's a non-starter for Columbus at this juncture, I'd think. Washington could do that because they've got to try with Ovechkin and are stuck with Dubois anyway.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Petro has not exactly been a beacon of defensive competence lately; I'm not shocked they'd be looking at moving him. His everything else has so far made up for it, but then we're right back to where we're started.
Only 3 years left on his deal

Has a NMC though so there would probably be more work to do there

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Roy was also signed for 7 years, no? That's a non-starter for Columbus at this juncture, I'd think. Washington could do that because they've got to try with Ovechkin and are stuck with Dubois anyway.
Six years, taking him to age 35. That'd put him alongside Werenski while Jiricek cooks, and then down to the second pairing when Jiricek is ready (assuming he does get ready and does well alongside Z), where he'd be likely to remain effective for the duration.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just cut the middle man and do Petro for Laine. Straight up for both no retention.

Petro has a NMC so I highly doubt he’d waive anyway

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Just cut the middle man and do Petro for Laine. Straight up for both no retention.

Petro has a NMC so I highly doubt he’d waive anyway
The point of dumping Pietrangelo would be to free up cap space. Ideally, Columbus would want to move Laine without (much) retention. If Vegas could get the entire contract of the books, that's a lot of value added to the trade, I'd assume. Then the Laine trade can be used to fill up the vacant LD slot.

EDIT: To clarify, I assumed that Vegas dumping Pietrangelo was to make space for Marner. By the way, if they do that... yikes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad