BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
$4,500,000 x 4 is $18,000,000 in the bank for him and then he could retire. He doesn't solve the C problem though he just replaces DeBrusk.
He's still taken a pretty good amount of faceoffs in TB, and has been very good at them, despite mostly playing RW. No reason he couldn't do the same here.

If they run back Poitras at 2C, can take the pressure off him on some draws while he develops there and give him a hell of a weapon.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Replaces JDB by a lot. Stamkos still is very consistent and really hasnt lost a beat.

I'm only saying replacement so no one thinks he can play C anymore. He'd be a clear upgrade on DeBrusk at a great price which would allow them to still focus on Swayman and a C.

He's still taken a pretty good amount of faceoffs in TB, and has been very good at them, despite mostly playing RW. No reason he couldn't do the same here.

If they run back Poitras at 2C, can take the pressure off him on some draws while he develops there and give him a hell of a weapon.

Zacha - XXX - Pastrnak
Marchand - Poitras - Stamkos
Frederic - Coyle - Geekie
Brown - Kastelic/Beecher - Brazzeau

That what you're thinking?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Would allow him to take draws from Poitras often enough and play the spot just like how Coyle and Geekie could swap games during the year on back-to-backs. Still a huge hole in that C position and Poitras essentially taking Lindholm's spot.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm only saying replacement so no one thinks he can play C anymore. He'd be a clear upgrade on DeBrusk at a great price which would allow them to still focus on Swayman and a C.

Zacha - XXX - Pastrnak
Marchand - Poitras - Stamkos
Brown - Kastelic/Beecher - Brazzeau

That what you're thinking?

Yep…and still fill in at C for faceoffs or if someone is out for a couple of games.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
That's what Zacha and Pastrnak need though. They need someone on their line to drive the play, someone that is comfortable carrying the puck through the zone, and someone that can distribute the puck. However, I'm not sure there is someone that fits the bill in free agency.

I think Lindholm would fit really well with Marchand, and honestly, a Marchand - Lindholm - Lysell line wouldn't be so bad.
Pastrnak might benefit from it but I'm not sure he needs it, he had to do those things last year. I do think he would be great, maybe ideal with Marchand but I don't want to see Coyle or Geekie with Pastrnak and I want to see Zacha on the wing.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
IMO , quite a bit. He’s still a force out there. I’d try to get him for 3 years or 4 if must be.
Good bridge to some kids hopefully.

If he’s still “Steve Stamkos,” then absolutely sign him. He could change the entire Bruins’ outlook this season.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Replaces JDB by a lot. Stamkos still is very consistent and really hasnt lost a beat.

Also give you a guy you can play C/LW and can not only take draws but win them regularly.

It's gonna take a guy like him AND a C to really make Boston a scoring threat next year.

Marchand - Zacha - Pastrnak
Stamkos - Lindholm - Poitras
Beecher - Kastelic - Brazeau

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Also give you a guy you can play C/LW and can not only take draws but win them regularly.

Marchand - Zacha - Pastrnak
Stamkos - Lindholm - Poitras
Beecher - Kastelic - Brazeau
I don't think Zacha and Lindholm is enough at C but that's from watching Lindholm being underwhelming the last couple years.

I have to hold out hope he returns to Calgary form with some help from playing with wingers like Pastrnak and another scorer because he is on the wrong side of 30.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I don't think Zacha and Lindholm is enough at C but that's from watching Lindholm being underwhelming the last couple years.

I have to hold out hope he returns to Calgary form with some help from playing with wingers like Pastrnak and another scorer because he is on the wrong side of 30.

He's not even 30yrs old yet

Lindholm it's a guy who should give you 25G/70P while giving you a good 200ft game + win around 55% of his draws.

Add in Stamkos whose a C/LW that'll win about 54% of his faceoffs and should be good for 40G & 80P

That's adding roughly 65G & 150P and boosting or ability to win draws. Not to mention it would be a massive add the the PP

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
He's 30 this year as he plays his first year in Boston in December. If you want to say that he's 29 for 3 months of a 7 year contract, fine, but to me they are signing a guy who will be paid for 6 and 3/4 of his contract as a 30+ year old.

12 points in 26 games for Vancouver against inferior competition (he was 3rd line) and he didn't click with EP40 either on the 2nd line.

Boston putting him on the top line and paying him anything more than 7 million is terrifying for me. In the playoffs he turned it on and had 10 points BUT again it was as the 3rd line C while the opponents focused on JT and EP40's lines.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
So the bruins have ~24 mill with the following holes (with Korpi in AHL)
1C
RW2
LW1/2C/W3 (roster hole depends if you play zacha or Coyle at 2 C)
LD2/3 (depends where lohrei plays
And Singing Swayman

Im thinking
Marchessault: 7 2RW
Lindholm 7.5 - 1C
Dillon 3 - 3LD
Swayman 6.5
Merk or Lysell winning a spot on line 3

Reactions: KrugAvoy

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He's 30 this year as he plays his first year in Boston in December. If you want to say that he's 29 for 3 months of a 7 year contract, fine, but to me they are signing a guy who will be paid for 6 and 3/4 of his contract as a 30+ year old.

12 points in 26 games for Vancouver against inferior competition (he was 3rd line) and he didn't click with EP40 either on the 2nd line.

Boston putting him on the top line and paying him anything more than 7 million is terrifying for me. In the playoffs he turned it on and had 10 points BUT again it was as the 3rd line C while the opponents focused on JT and EP40's lines.

Still how can he be on the wrong side of 30 when he'll be 30 for this upcoming season? Guys are playing deeper into their 30's because of they take better care of the bodies and the NHL isn't as physical as it was years ago.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019

Lindholm it's a guy who should give you 25G/70P while giving you a good 200ft game + win around 55% of his draws.

Add in Stamkos whose a C/LW that'll win about 54% of his faceoffs and should be good for 40G & 80P

That's adding roughly 65G & 150P and boosting or ability to win draws. Not to mention it would be a massive add the the PP
The age discourse has been one of my favorite parts about this upcoming UFA season.

A simple google search of this year’s UFA class will show you that the majority of them are 30 and above, or will be 30 at the start of this deal.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
So many 'prove it' scoring forwards that the Bruins could capitalize on:

Laine
Skinner
Stamkos

on cheaper deals who have scored 40 before. Really loved the Panthers model of buying low on guys who had fallen out of favour in their previous teams and signed deals to prove the NHL wrong. Get 2 or three of these guys on deals at $5,000,000 or less for the next 2-4 years and the scoring depth explodes in Boston.

Two of these guys and Lindholm makes them so much stronger but just Lindholm is a failure this off-season.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
So many 'prove it' scoring forwards that the Bruins could capitalize on:

Laine
Skinner
Stamkos

on cheaper deals who have scored 40 before. Really loved the Panthers model of buying low on guys who had fallen out of favour in their previous teams and signed deals to prove the NHL wrong. Get 2 or three of these guys on deals at $5,000,000 or less for the next 2-4 years and the scoring depth explodes in Boston.

Two of these guys and Lindholm makes them so much stronger but just Lindholm is a failure this off-season.
What does Stamkos have to prove?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So do you see him putting up better numbers in his 30's than in his 20's?

Cheap LW option if the word CHEAP is highlighted and bolded lol.

Let's see, in his 20's he averaged out to a 22G / 57P player. I could see him giving you those type of numbers for another 4-5 years.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I think the Bruins are looking at adding 3 NHL players from outside the organization through free agency.

This is the group of three that I'm most interested in signing:
  • Steven Stamkos
  • Sean Monahan
  • one of: Marco Scandella/Joel Edmundson

I am fully prepared to be disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad