BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Not a big fan of paying the amount Lindholm is rumored to be looking for.

Solid player yes but 8m? yikes.

Would be thrilled if we can get Zadorov, he instantly changes the culture back there.
I don't think Lindholm's game is well understood, he's not someone who creates a lot of offense with the puck on his stick like Krejci or Savard (though he is a good passer) but he's impactful without it. He forces turnovers at both ends, gets to the front of the net, finds time and space and has a great shot. The two things we complain about most are getting trapped in their own end and not shooting the puck. He forces turnovers that lead to zone exits and he shoots. He would be great with either Pastrnak or Marchand.

This video will give you an idea.

Last edited:

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
If Lindholm is looking to get that, I would honestly pass on him. Draisaitl is worth an overpay since he is a legitimate 1C/Franchise player. I would welcome a "bye" year in our search to find a 1C if it meant waiting to sign Drai. I really do not care if he was shut down in the SC finals either, Edmonton had a ton more issues than Drai not producing. Give me 100pts a year playing dominate hockey.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I don't think Lindholm's game is well understood, he's not someone who creates a lot of offense with the puck on his stick like Krejci or Savard but he's impactful without it. He forces turnovers at both ends, gets to the front of the net, finds time and space and has a great shot. The two things we complain about most are getting trapped in their own end and not shooting the puck. He gets zone exits and he shoots. He would be great with either Pastrnak or Marchand.

Im fully aware of what he is as a player, I like him a ton. I just can't commit 8m a season for it.

I say this like its my money lol, well I do give the Bruins 15k-20k a season for my tickets,legends and parking. :(

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
You can throw out free agency from the first couple of seasons post lockout, IMO.

It was absurd that Chara hit the market and that the Bruins got Savard for what they paid for him.

Teams have figured out how to manipulate the system and players and agents have figured out what they’re truly worth and how to cash in.

What results is teams locking guys up before they hit free agency, the guys at the top top of the market getting absurd term at a high cap hit, teams overpaying for guys in the middle, some guys like Bertuzzi missing a pay day and having to wait another year to cash in, and then lots of guys signing for one year @ $1m.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The problem is that they need two centers. 1-2. Your going to have to get one at least. They aren’t in a good position to try and get the number low. It is what it is. I do t think anyone here thinks Lindholm is a 1. You still have a need for someone like him. You have nothing right now……so over payment is probably going to happen. Sweeney f***ed up a few years ago by not preparing for losing his top two centers.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
See ya'll tomorrow. Would love to have you guys in chat for the live stream. If anyone wants to join us, drop me a DM. You just need a camera, mic and an internet connection. Cheers!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The problem is that they need two centers. 1-2. You’re going to have to get one at least. They aren’t in a good position to try and get the number low. It is what it is. I do t think anyone here thinks Lindholm is a 1. You still have a need for someone like him. You have nothing right now……so over payment is probably going to happen. Sweeney f***ed up a few years ago by not preparing for losing his top two centers.
Depends how far away you thought they were last season.

I think they were pretty far away, yet they had a ton of regular season success and won a round with Zacha, Coyle, and Geekie.

They can argue that they get Poitras back and that he’ll continue to grow into a T6 center role.

Assuming DeBrusk walks, you’ve got a hole at wing in addition to an aging Marchand.

In a vacuum, it looks like they’ve got money to burn, but when you factor in Swayman’s new deal, it’s going to evaporate quickly.

So do you go value across the board to fill needs or do you land one big fish and shop in the bargain bin again and get the next Heinen and Van Reimsdyk?

Reactions: Gordoff

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Im fully aware of what he is as a player, I like him a ton. I just can't commit 8m a season for it.

I say this like its my money lol, well I do give the Bruins 15k-20k a season for my tickets,legends and parking. :(
Fair enough, not sure it'll be 8 but inflation is coming to the NHL and I don't think we'd be too upset with 8 in 2-3 years.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Fair enough, not sure it'll be 8 but inflation is coming to the NHL and I don't think we'd be too upset with 8 in 2-3 years.
Yah, inflation hasn’t really hit the nhl that much yet. I think we’ll see it this year.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I have a question for anyone that cares to share their thoughts. Can the Bruins piece together a Stanley cup winner through free agency with the available cap space they currently have? If not how do they make it happen? I have my own ideas but would love to hear yours.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I have a question for anyone that cares to share their thoughts. Can the Bruins piece together a Stanley cup winner through free agency with the available cap space they currently have? If not how do they make it happen? I have my own ideas but would love to hear yours.
Keep reading.

Reactions: GordonHowe

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
The problem is that they need two centers. 1-2. Your going to have to get one at least. They aren’t in a good position to try and get the number low. It is what it is. I do t think anyone here thinks Lindholm is a 1. You still have a need for someone like him. You have nothing right now……so over payment is probably going to happen. Sweeney f***ed up a few years ago by not preparing for losing his top two centers.
This is bang on, when you don’t stock the cupboard and it’s totally empty you gotta go shopping.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don’t want to give Lindholm that long of a deal. I like the player but that’s too much. Much rather Stephenson at 3-4 years

I still don't believe that Lindholm is going to get this massive deal, and the #2 guy on the market, who some say they like more is going to sign for short term, and lesser money. They are only 1 year apart in age. My prediction is Stephenson will get within 1 year of Lindholm in term, and within 1 year of Lindholm in AAV (unless he decides to stay in Vegas for the home town discount)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Unless you’re going bargain hunting you’re not gonna get good value when shopping at the top of the market, so I wouldn’t expect any “steals” tomorrow unless somebody unexpected is just in love with the idea of playing for Bosto

You never know. We have seen (and done) a lot of speculating, but we have no real idea what Sweeney will do tomorrow. While the radio silence from the FO is often frustrating as a fan, it's kind of cool to be surprised.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Unless you’re going bargain hunting you’re not gonna get good value when shopping at the top of the market, so I wouldn’t expect any “steals” tomorrow unless somebody unexpected is just in love with the idea of playing for Boston

I agree with this, but it is really the middle of the market guys where teams traditionally get burnt. When you go out and sign the top players in the class, you may have overpaid, but they generally remain very good players.

When you squint and say well he's better than what i have, and overpay for the mid level guys is where you often end up with the complete trash contracts

Reactions: Gordoff

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I don't think Lindholm's game is well understood, he's not someone who creates a lot of offense with the puck on his stick like Krejci or Savard (though he is a good passer) but he's impactful without it. He forces turnovers at both ends, gets to the front of the net, finds time and space and has a great shot. The two things we complain about most are getting trapped in their own end and not shooting the puck. He forces turnovers that lead to zone exits and he shoots. He would be great with either Pastrnak or Marchand.

That's what Zacha and Pastrnak need though. They need someone on their line to drive the play, someone that is comfortable carrying the puck through the zone, and someone that can distribute the puck. However, I'm not sure there is someone that fits the bill in free agency.

I think Lindholm would fit really well with Marchand, and honestly, a Marchand - Lindholm - Lysell line wouldn't be so bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad