GDT: Free Agent... Frenzy? aka "Let's get some guys to help Celebrini maybe" | Coverage on NHL Network, TSN, Sportsnet

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The biggest thing I want to note before we start: IF SOMEONE SIGNS WITH THE SHARKS, LET A MOD MAKE THE THREAD. WE DON'T NEED MULTIPLE COMPETING DUPLICATES FOR SIGNINGS. THAT'S JUST CONFUSING FOR EVERYONE AND MORE WORK FOR THE MODS.

I hope/plan to be around all day for the coverage barring small breaks to get breakfast or do some laundry or something. I will note if I'm stepping out and if there's another mod around to cover for my absence or not.

And yeah, unlike the draft there are no graphics here. I learned my lesson when the draft thread chugged and struggled because the "fixed" servers are still dumpster fires.

Where to watch
NHL Network starts its coverage at 11am PT/2pm ET

TSN and Sportsnet in Canada kick off somewhere around 8-8:30am PT I think.

IIRC neither Canadian Network allows streaming access of their stuff from the US anymore. And even with a VPN it's likely limited to requiring a cable or streaming service login.

Sharks Free Agents

PlayerPosNotesStatus
Ryan CarpenterCUFA
Jack StudnickaCUFA (non-qualified RFA)
Jacob PetersonCUFA (non-qualified RFA)
Alexander BarabanovLWUFA
Mike HoffmanLWUFA
Oskar LindblomLWUFA
Kevin LabancRWUFA
Filip ZadinaRWUFA (non-qualified RFA)
Calen AddisonDUFA (non-qualified RFA)
Nikolai KnyzhovDUFA (Mutual Termination)
Jacob MacDonaldD/FUFASigned with Colorado (2 yrs @ $??? per)
Devin CooleyGUFASigned with Calgary (2 yrs @ $775k per)
Eetu MakiniemiGUFA (Group VI)

PlayerPosNotesStatus
Thomas BordeleauCRFA
Alexander ChmelevskiCRFA
Ty DellandreaCRFA (Arb)
Egor AfanasyevLWRFAExpected to sign in KHL. Sharks retain his rights.
Brandon CoeRWRFA
Carl GrundstromRWRFA (Arb)
Martin KautRWRFA
Ty EmbersonDRFA
Henry ThrunDRFA

IIRC Chmelevski and Kaut remain unsigned from the previous off-season. Their rights are retained until the first July 1st after their 27th birthdays. I just put them here for completeness sake.

New Signings
If the Sharks sign any one new It'll go here:

PlayerPosAgePrev. TeamTerms
Tyler ToffoliRW32Winnipeg4 years @ $6m AAV
Alex WennbergC29NY Rangers2 years @ $5m AAV

Trades
Usually July 1 isn't much for trade action, but I'll keep a spot here just in case something goes down.

Depth Chart
This is the current Sharks' depth chart. It is not line combos. Positions are based on listings on PuckPedia for the most part. Player order is mostly just me winging with slight deference to ordering based on likelihood of playing NHL games it and should not be taken as 100% accurate to actual order by position. For the time being I'm also assuming Celebrini signs.

I'll try to keep it updated throughout the day if there are signings, but no promises because Xenforo tables are total bullshit to fuss with. I can't even align them or create internal text alignment anymore. vBulletin tables were so flexible and powerful. The new stuff is trash.

New signings will be shown in Green
Re-signed RFAs will be in Blue

LWCRW
William EklundMacklin CelebriniTyler Toffoli
Fabian ZetterlundWill SmithBarclay Goodrow
Klim KostinLogan CoutureCollin Graf
Tristen RobinsMikael GranlundDanil Guschchin
Quentin MustyAlex WennbergJustin Bailey
Niko SturmGivani Smith
Luke KuninScott Sabourin
Filip BystedtEthan Cardwell
David EnstromMitchell Rusell
Kasper Halttunen

LDRD
Mario FerraroMatt Benning
Jake WalmanJan Rutta
Marc-Edouard VlasicJack Thompson
Shakir MukhamadullinGanon Laroque
Valtteri Pulli
Jake Furlong
Artem Guryev
Luca Cagnoni

G
Mackenzie Blackwood
Vitek Vanacek
Magnus Chrona
Georgii Romanov

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think some of those UFAs should have a note like Addison.

Not sure about that positional depth chart. Bystedt and Edstrom are centers, Zetterlund is on the right, etc.

Knyzhov should be off the list. His contract was terminated prior to July first; he's not a pending anything in the traditional sense.

Yes I am being pedantic...

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
GRIBGNCaYAAsDTB.jpg

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The biggest thing I want to note before we start: IF SOMEONE SIGNS WITH THE SHARKS, LET A MOD MAKE THE THREAD. WE DON'T NEED MULTIPLE COMPETING DUPLICATES FOR SIGNINGS. THAT'S JUST CONFUSING FOR EVERYONE AND MORE WORK FOR THE MODS.

I hope/plan to be around all day for the coverage barring small breaks to get breakfast or do some laundry or something. I will note if I'm stepping out and if there's another mod around to cover for my absence or not.

And yeah, unlike the draft there are no graphics here. I learned my lesson when the draft thread chugged and struggled because the "fixed" servers are still dumpster fires.

Where to watch
NHL Network starts its coverage at 11am PT/2pm ET

TSN and Sportsnet in Canada kick off somewhere around 8-8:30am PT I think.

IIRC neither Canadian Network allows streaming access of their stuff from the US anymore. And even with a VPN it's likely limited to requiring a cable or streaming service login.

Pending Sharks Free Agents

PlayerPosNotesStatus
Ryan CarpenterCUFA
Jack StudnickaCUFA
Jacob PetersonCUFA
Alexander BarabanovLWUFA
Mike HoffmanLWUFA
Oskar LindblomLWUFA
Kevin LabancRWUFA
Filip ZadinaRWUFA
Calen AddisonDUFA (non-qualified RFA)
Nikolai KnyzhovDUFA (Mutual Termination)
Jacob MacDonaldD/FUFA
Devin CooleyGUFA
Eetu MakiniemiGUFA (Group VI)

PlayerPosNotesStatus
Thomas BordeleauCRFA
Alexander ChmelevskiCRFA
Ty DellandreaCRFA (Arb)
Egor AfanasyevLWRFA
Brandon CoeRWRFA
Carl GrundstromRWRFA (Arb)
Martin KautRWRFA
Ty EmbersonDRFA
Henry ThrunDRFA

IIRC Chmelevski and Kaut remain unsigned from the previous off-season. Their rights are retained until the first July 1st after their 27th birthdays. I just put them here for completeness sake.

New Signings
If the Sharks sign any one new It'll go here:

PlayerPosAgePrev. TeamTerms
X

Trades
Usually July 1 isn't much for trade action, but I'll keep a spot here just in case something goes down.

Depth Chart
This is the current Sharks' depth chart. It is not line combos. Positions are based on listings on PuckPedia for the most part. Player order is mostly just me winging with slight deference to ordering based on likelihood of playing NHL games it and should not be taken as 100% accurate to actual order by position. For the time being I'm also assuming Celebrini signs.

I'll try to keep it updated throughout the day if there are signings, but no promises because Xenforo tables are total bullshit to fuss with. I can't even align them or create internal text alignment anymore. vBulletin tables were so flexible and powerful. The new stuff is trash.

LWCRW
William EklundMacklin CelebriniBarclay Goodrow
Fabian ZetterlundWill SmithCollin Graf
Klim KostinLogan CoutureDanil Gushchin
Tristen RobinsMikael GranlundJustin Bailey
Quentin MustyNico SturmGivani Smith
Luke KuninScott Sabourin
Filip BystedtEthan Cardwell
David EdstromMitchell Russell
Kaspar Halttunen

LDRD
Mario FerraroMatt Benning
Jake WalmanJan Rutta
Marc-Edouard VlasicJack Thompson
Shakir MukhamadullinGanon Laroque
Valtteri Pulli
Jake Furlong
Artem Guryev
Luca Cagnoni

G
Mackenzie Blackwood
Vitek Vanacek
Magnus Chrona
Georgii Romanov
I know we need RHD and someone who can at least play on the PP, but please stay away from Tyson Barrie, Klingberg and DeAngelo.

Justin Schultz or Matt Roy would be decent pickups

Oliver Kylington is intriguing. He can play the right side but is a lefty. Skates like the wind and had a nice breakout with Tanev as his Partner a few years back before he took a year and a half off for mental health reasons.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Boqvist, Schmidt, and potentially Trouba on waivers. There is some D help and we have cap room. Can pick them up without loss of assets. I hope we put a claim in on Boqvist already. Would also make picking up Trouba look less sketch if he does get put on waivers and we had already claimed Boqvist.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Boqvist, Schmidt, and potentially Trouba on waivers. There is some D help and we have cap room. Can pick them up without loss of assets. I hope we put a claim in on Boqvist already. Would also make picking up Trouba look less sketch if he does get put on waivers and we had already claimed Boqvist.
If Trouba is on waivers, we almost NEED to take him.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
If Trouba is on waivers, we almost NEED to take him.
From a skill, grit, and leadership perspective, we absolutely need Trouba. Boqvist is a young puck mover, would be a great add. I really want both of them to bolster that D corp. put Vlasic in a 7th D role to get us to the floor. Wouldn’t mind taking a run at Montour as well even if an overpay provided the term makes sense. Would be nice see our young forwards not get caved in continuously which would certainly help their growth and potentially boost our GPG.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
From a skill, grit, and leadership perspective, we absolutely need Trouba. Boqvist is a young puck mover, would be a great add. I really want both of them to bolster that D corp. put Vlasic in a 7th D role to get us to the floor. Wouldn’t mind taking a run at Montour as well even if an overpay provided the term makes sense. Would be nice see our young forwards not get caved in continuously which would certainly help their growth and potentially boost our GPG.
I thought about Boqvist too from a reclamation standpoint. From all I read and saw, he was rushed by 2 teams and is pretty much soft as babyskin and doesn't have NHL caliber defense or the speed to play the offensive game he was good at in juniors as he gets smashed off the puck and injured quite easily..

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
I thought about Boqvist too from a reclamation standpoint. From all I read and saw, he was rushed by 2 teams and is pretty much soft as babyskin and doesn't have NHL caliber defense or the speed to play the offensive game he was good at in juniors as he gets smashed off the puck and injured quite easily..
Hrm, maybe Montour then. We can pretty much pay him whatever so long as the term is two or three years.

This sounds like Trouba isn’t going to get waived then. Bleh.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Why put in a claim on Boqvist when he's about to be bought out and can't stay healthy? Literally never played more than 2/3 of a season in his career. Say no to 5'11 defensemen that are not good defenders.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Why put in a claim on Boqvist when he's about to be bought out and can't stay healthy? Literally never played more than 2/3 of a season in his career. Say no to 5'11 defensemen that are not good defenders.
As 67 noted, potential reclamation project? Only 23 with a fair amount of NHL experience. 3rd pairing puck mover deployed with the right responsible partner and then rolled out on PP2? Maybe rebuild his value and flip.

Although 67 seems opposed to him for his softness and lack of NHL speed whereas I’m in favor of rolling the dice.

Reactions: Sandisfan

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
As 67 noted, potential reclamation project? Only 23 with a fair amount of NHL experience. 3rd pairing puck mover deployed with the right responsible partner and then rolled out on PP2? Maybe rebuild his value and flip.

Although 67 seems opposed to him for his softness and lack of NHL speed whereas I’m in favor of rolling the dice.
I was initially thinking about it. I watch all prospects on all teams for Fantasy purposes and I remember thinking Boqvist had a chance to be on Patrick Kane's PP, so i kept an eye on him.

Then when he got moved to Columbus and Werenski got injured, i thought he had a chance to be on another PP, so I kept watching him.

I stopped watching him and gave up on him a year ago.

Who knows. maybe 3rd time's a charm. And since i don't care if we lose this year for the tank, im open to trying him out. but I'd rather not guys who are going to get caved in physically and ragdolled. i want to see some structure and improvement this year while losing. Getting caved in is bad for morale

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

We already have plenty of 3rd pairing only types. Only reason he is notable is because the Hawks picked him in the top 10. Otherwise, nothing about his profile is at all desirable (which is why Don Waddell made one of his first moves as GM buying him out).

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
NJD going big game hunting it seems

My ideal target is still Montour, I just don't think we're getting any of today's big names unless we throw out an insane overpayment, we need to demonstrate on ice competence before free agents plan to join us, at this point we're a last chance landing spot if guys missed their main destinations in the game of musical chairs

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

My ideal target is still Montour, I just don't think we're getting any of today's big names unless we throw out an insane overpayment, we need to demonstrate on ice competence before free agents plan to join us, at this point we're a last chance landing spot if guys missed their main destinations in the game of musical chairs
Not getting him without handing out 7 years, which is not wise for anyone to do for him, nonetheless the Sharks in their situation.

Reactions: weastern bias

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009

I don’t think overpaying during this 2-3 year transition back to relevance is an issue provided the overpayment offered is within a tight term window. Obviously no 4,5, or 7 year terms.

As mentioned prior, I have zero issues overpaying puck moving D-men to not watch our upcoming young forwards get caved in.

Reactions: weastern bias

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Not getting him without handing out 7 years, which is not wise for anyone to do for him, nonetheless the Sharks in their situation.
That's why I have tempered expectations for the day, we're not ready for big game hunting just yet

We were the stars of draft day, but because of that free agency is a little ways away, I expect more dumpster diving and cap dump acquisitions for the next year or 2 before we try loading up

Reactions: ISharkted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad