GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah the way it played out was pretty bizarre. I get the age concerns with Stamkos but Guentzel's numbers aren't any better than Stamkos's and they're willing to give him a huge deal but not Stamkos?
Add to that. It isnt like we should expect Guentzel's numbers to take a big jump playing with elite teammates in Tampa when he has been doing that his entire career in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
It still seems bizarre that McDonagh was mopey to go back to Tampa and his return was greeted by a call from Stamkos just coming off the ice from a workout. Tampa made the rational choice here to not re-sign him, but feels like they gave up part of their soul in the process. Our gain!
I’m not one to get too much into conspiracy theories, but all this Tampa Nashville action …. Tyson Barrie’s dad is part owner of the Bolts….so…hmmm

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I see the master plan Trotz has laid out.

He's going for it over the next 2-3 years with the veteran group. While he's doing that, he's introducing all these young kids in the system to NHL warriors. By the time the vets fall off the cliff, the young kids will hopefully have learned enough and have the talent to take over while the vets still get to play but in reduced roles, still helping this team.

I truly believe what Trotz and Poile have done the last 2 years have set us up for some pretty great hockey the next 10-15 years.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If Askarov can straight up look like a guy who will push for 25-30 starts in the NHL based on training camp, then that's great for us. It won't actually save us on the Cap, though, since we'd still have the buried portion of Wedgewood's contract, so it adds up to pretty close to the same thing.

But I just think it's too much of an ask at this point for Askarov to be that good?

Meanwhile, Grosenick signed in Minnesota?! I would have thought it'd be a bit of a shoo-in to bring him back for Milwaukee after the season he had. Oh well.

Minnesota is where half of Packers players go to RETIRE. Favre had to go to the Jets first for a year, then Minnesota.

Fiala went to the Wild, to join Granny, Suter, (does Zucker count?), Aberg and Bitetto. That was just for 19 games. Two years later, it was Bonino, Hartman and Suter again.

I am sorry that Troy left, but I am not surprised that it was Minnesota. You know, where Dean Evason was the coach! They steal from us too!

I heard that the OWNER of the Wild used to be with Nashville for a few years! Can you believe that?

You can't make this up. It is like the Twilight Zone intruding on real life!

PS: Paul Molitor went from the Brewers to Toronto to win 2 World Series, THEN he went to the Twins for 3 years, and retired!

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Minnesota is where half of Packers players go to RETIRE. Favre had to go to the Jets first for a year, then Minnesota.

Fiala went to the Wild, to join Granny, Suter, (does Zucker count?), Aberg and Bitetto. That was just for 19 games. Two years later, it was Bonino, Hartman and Suter again.

I am sorry that Troy left, but I am not surprised that it was Minnesota. You know, where Dean Evason was the coach! They steal from us too!

I heard that the OWNER of the Wild used to be with Nashville for a few years! Can you believe that?

PS: Paul Molitor went from the Brewers to Toronto to win 2 World Series, THEN he went to the Twins for 3 years, and retired!
Well, I guess technically it is Iowa, not Minnesota where he'll be playing. But Des Moines is probably not too much difference as the crow flies, anyway.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I see the master plan Trotz has laid out.

He's going for it over the next 2-3 years with the veteran group. While he's doing that, he's introducing all these young kids in the system to NHL warriors. By the time the vets fall off the cliff, the young kids will hopefully have learned enough and have the talent to take over while the vets still get to play but in reduced roles, still helping this team.

I truly believe what Trotz and Poile have done the last 2 years have set us up for some pretty great hockey the next 10-15 years.
I'm good with it because at least its a direction. If he had stuck with basically what we had plus cheap Vets he picked up and sat on all that cap while not playing the young guys again I may have found someone else to root for.

The key now is though that when he gets to that 3rd year, does he reload, does he rebuild, have they drafted well enough to just pick up a few Vets to fill gaps? That is where it gets interesting.

Reactions: Enoch

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I'm good with it because at least its a direction. If he had stuck with basically what we had plus cheap Vets he picked up and sat on all that cap while not playing the young guys again I may have found someone else to root for.

The key now is though that when he gets to that 3rd year, does he reload, does he rebuild, have they drafted well enough to just pick up a few Vets to fill gaps? That is where it gets interesting.
I am glad that we have been able to add some name players the past couple of years! Not just filler types, I know we need those, but some bigger type names. I am not sure we get Stamkos if RM had not come here and then traded back when he asked. I think that and getting JM and BS will go a long way in bringing in more top playing names in the future! Now... just win baby!

Reactions: PredsV82

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

And John Hynes is now coach for Minnesota. Going back a few years, we had another Dman, Greg Zanon who went to Minny from Nashville. It is a very odd relationship. I have called them Leipold's Trophy Team for years but maybe it's more Leipold's Convale$cent Community at this point.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Milwaukee was 6-2 vs the Wild last season.

I believe that the Wild had 2 AHL All Stars to just one for Milwaukee.
Ads had Stastney and Askarov.

And to the point of NMC, that's pretty much gonna be standard for a big name UFA. Otherwise you just won't get them. You pay your money and you take your chances

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Also apropos of nothing two former Preds draftees signed two way deals today, Justin Kirkland(62nd pick 2014) signed with Calgary and Hardy Haman Aktell(108th 2016) re-signed with the Caps.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think we would have to throw Tomasino in too... which I would be ok with
100%. I think you could trade Anaheim one of Fabbro/Glass + Tomasino + 2025 1st, since I doubt they want all three back. And then move the other one in a separate deal.

Forsberg - ROR - Nyquist
Stamkos - Zegras - Marchessault
Novak - Pärssinen - Evangelista
Jankowski - Sissons - Smith
McCarron

Josi - Skjei
Lauzon - Carrier
Statsney - Schenn
MDG

Light on defense, so probably need to make an acquisition during the year. But that offense, man, it's a nice blend of some veteran players and some younger guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad