Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think he has been. Every AHL game, every practice, every call-ups is a chance to make his case to management. They don't have to like what they see.
Maybe the expectations are unreasonable then, he had 2 points in 4 NHL games and 45 points in the AHL. He is never going to grow 10 inches and become a Luke Kunin type player, so allow him to prove his talent as a scorer and judge him in that regard.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Maybe the expectations are unreasonable then, he had 2 points in 4 NHL games and 45 points in the AHL. He is never going to grow 10 inches and become a Luke Kunin type player, so allow him to prove his talent as a scorer and judge him in that regard.
Consider Kevin Labanc. Bigger, more talented, and a more prolific scorer at every level. Even he found it difficult to carve out an NHL career; he could only produce with Joe Thornton and while getting soft minutes.

Guys who are going to be top-six offensive talents in the NHL usually tear the lower leagues apart. Gushchin hasn't yet done that, and obviously his profile is a bad fit for a non-offensive role.

You won't be surprised to read some toxic, completely out of touch comments from Vlasic in an interview with Journal du Quebec, posted to Reddit. Dude is less in touch with what's going on with the team and his play than most posters here.

My goodness Vlasic has really eviscerated all the goodwill he had. I wonder all those years where he was great on the ice how much his assholery hurt the team.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
You won't be surprised to read some toxic, completely out of touch comments from Vlasic in an interview with Journal du Quebec, posted to Reddit. Dude is less in touch with what's going on with the team and his play than most posters here.

God this guy sucks. His own awful performance put him in this situation.

Everyone in the league knows he started phoning it in after he got his 7x8, and he got a NMC so he could never be dealt.

Crankshaft Mechanic

Jun 27, 2024

I wonder if some of the nuance is lost in the translation from French, but wow do these quotes make him sound conceited and out of touch lol.

Reactions: Sandisfan

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Consider Kevin Labanc. Bigger, more talented, and a more prolific scorer at every level. Even he found it difficult to carve out an NHL career; he could only produce with Joe Thornton and while getting soft minutes.

Guys who are going to be top-six offensive talents in the NHL usually tear the lower leagues apart. Gushchin hasn't yet done that, and obviously his profile is a bad fit for a non-offensive role.

My goodness Vlasic has really eviscerated all the goodwill he had. I wonder all those years where he was great on the ice how much his assholery hurt the team.

I wonder if some of the nuance is lost in the translation from French, but wow do these quotes make him sound conceited and out of touch lol.

I’m sorry, but I don’t get how any of this is toxic or out of touch. In summary:
  • He didn’t ask for a trade, he was told the team was going to make moves to get better prior to the season; but they did nothing.
  • It took the team finishing last and getting 1OA/Celebrini, but at least the team has made some moves to get better this offseason
  • The player additions and new coach give him and other players excitement to start next season
  • Yeah, yeah, Celebrini; he’s more excited about the new additions of NHL veterans
  • On Quinn: thought he’d get into more games since the team was losing and losing badly. All that is moot because the Sharks have a new coach
  • On Warsofsky: thinks the players will respond better and have a better connection to him
Like, literally none of this is remotely controversial or inaccurate, barring perhaps the typical veteran attitude that values established players over rookies. As comments made on the sidelines of an offseason golf tournament these are pretty vanilla.

IMO y’all are reading way more into these comments than are there.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Well it would help to be given a chance to succeed rather than ignored
ignored-fatal-attraction.gif

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood

Why are people there acting like we are in deep, deep trouble with Vlasic's contract? He's untradeable, yes. He sucks, yes. And apparently, he's out of touch. We are rebuilding, who cares? He'll be way gone before the Sharks are competitive again.

And, on a side note, if Vlasic plays his whole career as a Shark, which is totally possible at this point, what an absolutely weird career to be spent with only one team. :laugh:

Last edited:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I’m sorry, but I don’t get how any of this is toxic or out of touch. In summary:
  • He didn’t ask for a trade, he was told the team was going to make moves to get better prior to the season; but they did nothing.
  • It took the team finishing last and getting 1OA/Celebrini, but at least the team has made some moves to get better this offseason
  • The player additions and new coach give him and other players excitement to start next season
  • Yeah, yeah, Celebrini; he’s more excited about the new additions of NHL veterans
  • On Quinn: thought he’d get into more games since the team was losing and losing badly. All that is moot because the Sharks have a new coach
  • On Warsofsky: thinks the players will respond better and have a better connection to him
Like, literally none of this is remotely controversial or inaccurate, barring perhaps the typical veteran attitude that values established players over rookies. As comments made on the sidelines of an offseason golf tournament these are pretty vanilla.

I agree that I don't think they are toxic at all, but the first point in the reddit post showed that he's out of touch with reality. You can tell he wants to win and make playoffs, but he is terrible at analyzing the reality of the situation - that last year's roster and this year's have no business being in the playoffs.

So to then say it "sucks" that the team only made moves when it was worth making moves shows that he misses the forest for the trees. He isn't unique in that though. I remember Couture publicly thinking any sharks team in the 20s was a playoff team.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't blame Vlasic for being frustrated but this is exactly why we should have bought him out. He's not good enough to play regular NHL minutes anymore but doesn't seem to realize it. We don't need his disgruntled ass setting an example for the young guys.

Anyway, is it too early to start rosterbating for 2025-26?

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Musty-Smith-Zetterlund
Bystedt-Wennberg-Dellandrea
Grundstrom-Goodrow-Cardwell

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I don't blame Vlasic for being frustrated but this is exactly why we should have bought him out. He's not good enough to play regular NHL minutes anymore but doesn't seem to realize it. We don't need his disgruntled ass setting an example for the young guys.

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Musty-Smith-Zetterlund
Couldn't agree more!
I think the presence in the locker room is the one thing I'm really worried. Of course I have no idea since I'm not there, but if he has an inch of toxicity or delusion in his presence... that will affect the group.
Let's say I'm wrong and he is good presence in the locker room, then I wouldn't care that much about if he is in the group. I think there is a lot of defencemen with similar track record (lower cap hit though) that have been signed just because the presence.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Musty-Smith-Zetterlund
Where's Draisaitl???

Reactions: Hodge

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Musty-Smith-Zetterlund
That looks like a step in the right direction for the org.

Crankshaft Mechanic

Jun 27, 2024

Vlasic has always been a bit of a wet blanket. His yada yada-ing of the rebuild and Celebrini has raised some hackles with excited fans. To be expected from him and not that controversial imo.

Vlasic on David Quinn: "I was thinking: “he's going to get me into the lineup at some point''. It's not like everybody was doing well. Every one, from the best to the worst, played badly, including me. I saw games against Tampa Bay or Florida where we lost 6 or 7-0 and I thought it was impossible for him not to put me in the lineup."

This was the telling quote to me. I just don't think he comprehends how steeply he's fallen off.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
For our future cap window, next year would probably be the best time to buyout Vlasic.
Not because of the cap space, but because he can get league minimum somewhere to play and we get rid of another LD that's just taking a spot at this point. I respect what Vlasic has done for this organization at his best and he deserves every little recognition for his time back in the days.
But the new era is here and it's time to go!

Now that I wrote that, he'll have the best season of his life next season and I'll have to eat my words.
That would be a nice surprise.

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Vlasic has always been a bit of a wet blanket. His yada yada-ing of the rebuild and Celebrini has raised some hackles with excited fans. To be expected from him and not that controversial imo.

Vlasic on David Quinn: "I was thinking: “he's going to get me into the lineup at some point''. It's not like everybody was doing well. Every one, from the best to the worst, played badly, including me. I saw games against Tampa Bay or Florida where we lost 6 or 7-0 and I thought it was impossible for him not to put me in the lineup."

This was the telling quote to me. I just don't think he comprehends how steeply he's fallen off.
Vlassic is seen as toxic by fans mostly because his play has fall off a cliff. He has a very dry sense of humor and the young guys routinely say he is one of the funniest guys in the room. I could see that personality eventually wearing on people but it’s not a toxic personality. Every team has their Vlassic that lightens the mood but nobody wants to chill with outside the rink.

Also his play has not completely fallen off to the point he is not playable. He is just not the player he used to be and grossly overpaid, but on a rebuilding team he is a serviceable #6 and better than what can be called up by the Cuda.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
... but on a rebuilding team he is a serviceable #6 and better than what can be called up by the Cuda.

I think that says more about the Cuda than him.

This is the first year where he can be assigned to the Cuda, iirc. He'll clear waivers easily and wine like there is no tomorrow.

If he doesn't clear, but is claimed, we'll be Celebr(ini)ating.

Vlasic acts like a princess. I'm going to refer to him as Princess Pickles for this season.

Last edited:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I think that says more about the Cuda than him.

This is the first year where he can be assigned to the Cuda, iirc. He'll clear waivers easily and wine like there is no tomorrow.

If he doesn't clear, but is claimed, we'll be Celebr(ini)ating.

Vlasic acts like a princess. I'm going to refer to him as Princess Pickles for this season.
You don’t just send Vlassic to the Cuda to let someone else be a healthy scratch. Vlassic was an Elite defenseman for the Sharks and is definitely on their Mount Rushmore for D. His legacy has been trashed by fans because he isn’t some lovable guy like Jumbo or the quiet type like Marleau. Both of whom fans never would have suggested sending to the Cuda even when Marleau was just as unplayable when he was chasing the record.

If you need the cap space then sure buy him out, but you don’t just waive a franchise icon to create space for some bum to sit in the press box.

Believe it or not players and agents pay attention to how teams treat players and for a undesirable destination (high tax and not glamorous) you don’t do things to give players pause on how they will be treated in their twilight years.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
How is anything he said entitled? Arrogant, sure.
Seems to me like he thinks he should've been played more (put in following a big loss) but at the end of the day...he's just not good enough. He's part of the problem with our D core.

Whether you call it entitled/arrogant/anything it doesn't matter really...guy shouldn't be here.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I've always gotten the sense Vlasic hates the media. As a guy who got a massive earned raise (that we shouldn't have offered!) for years of underpay and elite performance who promptly fell off (don't think it was intentional- common with his type of player), it's not surprising.

If he thought he was still an elite (or even good) d-man, he'd be causing tons of trouble. I think he knows he's not good anymore, but sees how bad the team was and asked himself- am I actually worse? I think the answer to that regrettably, is yes. But as a proud guy who was once an elite defensive d-man, I've got some sympathy for him, and gratitude for his good underpaid years. If SJ won a cup he'd be adored for what he did during those years.

These comments do make me think that buying him out next year would be wise. It extends the cap hit a year, but it's off the books the year Celebrini and Smith will be up for new contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad