GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
We have a tad over $4 mil in cap space with 19 players signed. There's no way both Glass and Fabbro are back next year. Also, Carrier's extension is looking more and more unlikely.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Just signed wedgiewood.... soo.... askarov....
"Hey Scott, so.....walk me through Dallas's plays and Oettinger's weakness."

I dont think this means anything for Askarov. We weren't going into next year without another goalie, especially since Grigals was not qualified. If Askarov earns the backup role, we can send Wedgewood down and if he gets claimed, oh well.

We have a tad over $4 mil in cap space with 19 players signed. There's no way both Glass and Fabbro are back next year. Also, Carrier's extension is looking more and more unlikely.
Wish we could have found a way to turn Glass+Fabbro+pick into Chychrun. I still think there's about a 0% chance Glass is back next year, likely flipped for a Dman.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
"Hey Scott, so.....walk me through Dallas's plays and Oettinger's weakness."

I dont think this means anything for Askarov. We weren't going into next year without another goalie, especially since Grigals was not qualified. If Askarov earns the backup role, we can send Wedgewood down and if he gets claimed, oh well.

Wish we could have found a way to turn Glass+Fabbro+pick into Chychrun. I still think there's about a 0% chance Glass is back next year, likely flipped for a Dman.
Originally though wedgewood had a 2M caphit. At 1.5M, we can bury that with minimal issue if Askarov stays.

But... if we can flip askarov + Novak into pinto + ? Then i probably do it at this point if we are going to keep saros. We have plenty of time to draft a replacement

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
Pinto is only about 19 months older than Askarov and he's a center with good NHL experience already. He paced at 54 points over 82 games last year and it easily could've been more. He had some bad luck with a 8.2 shooting percentage.

I'd trade Askarov for a young center that improved year over year.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Pinto is only about 19 months older than Askarov and he's a center with good NHL experience already. He paced at 54 points over 82 games last year and it easily could've been more. He had some bad luck with a 8.2 shooting percentage.

I'd trade Askarov for a young center that improved year over year.
Biggest area of need is center. If we sign saros to a 7 or 8 year contract, askarov doesnt have much room for progression and we have a couple drafts to draft goalies to get a successor lined up.

Personally wanted to trade saros but that doesnt seem to be the way trotz wants to go. Trading askarov to improve this teams biggest needs (young rhd or young c) would be good with me

Reactions: nullednumbed

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
There's really no decent available defensemen left on the market. We have to trade for one.

Also, unless we trade for a center I'm content with letting Novak, Pärssinen and possibly Glass fight it out for the middle-six center spots. Svechkov as a dark horse as well.

Stamkos can obviously play center as well but considering his footspeed nowadays, it may not be ideal.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Not a fan. Not physical or big enough. We're already on the smaller side in terms of defense if we're running with Statsney/Fabbro or Carrier/MDG/Wilsby.
Jani Hakanpaa might be the only big/tough/cheap/RD even left on the market now? And I think he was pretty much a pylon last year, no?

I'm not too sure I'd waste time on Boqvist or Lundqvist or any of the older/smaller/softer types who are lingering on the list either though... if we're going to sign that kind of player, might just as well make room for an early entry by Ufko/Molendyk or something crazy like that. :dunno: Walker is probably more expensive, but also a smaller sort of guy. I am definitely wondering what they do with the D now. It really bodes well for Stastney and Del Gaizo if they just stand pat. :oops:

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Jani Hakanpaa might be the only big/tough/cheap/RD even left on the market now? And I think he was pretty much a pylon last year, no?

I'm not too sure I'd waste time on Boqvist or Lundqvist or any of the older/smaller/softer types who are lingering on the list either though... if we're going to sign that kind of player, might just as well make room for an early entry by Ufko/Molendyk or something crazy like that. :dunno: Walker is probably more expensive, but also a smaller sort of guy. I am definitely wondering what they do with the D now. It really bodes well for Stastney and Del Gaizo if they just stand pat. :oops:
Hakanpää would ultimately be just another Schenn, I'm afraid. His injury last year was a pretty serious one and his future in the NHL is in real jeopardy.

What we need is top-four RHD(s). We can try swing with one of Fabbro or Carrier but having both in the top-four is not optimal.

I would've pulled the trigger on Chychrun especially with the price being so low. Fabbro + 3rd would've gotten it done. Chychrun can play both sides and actually prefers the right side, IIRC.

I think there still could be similar options available, though.

If we're serious about winning - and we certainly look like we are - we need to do some renovations on the back-end. We need size and mobility there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad