GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 72 84.7%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
What kind of shot does he have? I wonder what the chances are they run him opposite Ovechkin. Who's going to start where on the Power Play this year will be fairly interesting out of camp.
He has a good shot. I’ve seen him score with a big slapper walking the line in AZ. The Sens PP often worked it over to him for a one-timer in the right circle. Has a good wrister as well.

I’ll believe Carlson is off PP1 when I see it. But I like the idea of more shots coming from that right side to open up Ovi and whoever is in the bumper (Wilson?).

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
He's great at finding the soft spot in the D and then picking his spot when the puck gets to him. I think he's the perfect guy for the spot below the net on the PP.
If you noticed reading our draft picks profiles this season this is a trait GMBM seems to be looking for. Teriks game has alot of this

Reactions: Kalopsia

Apr 6, 2004
Still wondering where the goals are going to come from, but they've done about as much as they could to shore up the D and goaltending. All without mortgaging the future.

Love the Roy signing. I think he's going to have a similar impact as Niskanen, maybe a bit less offense. Chychrun is a clear upgrade over Jensen and even if I think he's more of a second pair D he provides plenty of value at his current contract. As I mentioned earlier I'd hold off on re-signing him now and plan on re-evaluating mid-season. No need to go long-term on him now, and he should be a prized asset at the TDL if the season goes sideways or he's just not a good fit.
Don't post much these days, mostly a lurker but came to say exactly this. They still need goal scoring unless there's a big jump from those on the existing roster.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I don’t watch Dubois at all. What makes him elite? If you assume the caps don’t really change the pp structure significantly, what role is he?
He has a wicked one timer from the half wall when he has open space on the PP. He also scores the vast majority of his goals around the paint on rebounds and tips. His hand-eye is Oshie-like. He scored 15(one less than Ovi who scored 50 that season) and 11(3 less than Ovi who scored 42 that season) PP goals in his last two seasons before the LA mismanagement. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the PP structure change with the addition of PLD and Chychrun. We could see a lefty running the point now.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm looking forward to Coach SC and this new version of the Caps. I never ever thought the Caps would get Chychrun and for that price! To get Roy too is amazing! This has the potential to be an insane 2024-25 if everything hits all cylinders.

McGroarty would be the icing on the cake, I hope we can make a deal happen there.

Sometimes it's fun to be greedy!

Don't post much these days, mostly a lurker but came to say exactly this. They still need goal scoring unless there's a big jump from those on the existing roster.

True, but let's celebrate the victories of this offseason lol!

Reactions: Firsov99

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
At the end of the day it’s pretty fun they built a whole new team. It’s like they bought CapFriendly and went nuts on Armchair GM.

I still think this is mostly a bubble team but the defense is really strong and they didn’t ship off any high picks or prospects, so I like the direction

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Love our moves on defense. Exactly what we needed. And budget friendly too.

And we are getting tons of money freed up next season too. Looking good.

I love the dedication to Ovy's record and another playoff push with some depth. This also sends a message to our youth and prospects the organization is committed to the plan and not just Ovy's record drive.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Tanget, but has anybody seen any info on dev camp released yet? TIA
6 invites so far. One I actually watched play a good bit in the NAHL(Charpentier) so that's pretty cool....and Pierre McGuires son...ugh.

Darmouth forward Nikita Nikora, Dartmouth defender Eric Charpentier, Vermont defenseman Duncan Ramsay, Vermont forward Jens Richards, Northeastern forward Ryan McGuire and Adrian College defender Ayodele Adeniye

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I loved the D moves. Also enjoy the 4th liners. I prefer those being vets vs rookies. Still not trilled with the PLD and Mango moves with the cap space being tied up in them. Would love to see one more middle 6 winger added.
I think PLD will surprise. He’s going to likely start at 1C and will be given a lot of responsibility. And everyone thinks Washington sucks so the team won’t be in the spotlight.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I love the dedication to Ovy's record and another playoff push with some depth. This also sends a message to our youth and prospects the organization is committed to the plan and not just Ovy's record drive.
Exactly. This is one of the best off-seasons in a long time. Just a well-calculated approach on team building while so many weaknesses are being addressed. Couldn’t ask for more from our management.

It’s such a relief as well actually — knowing that our management is so prudent.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
6 invites so far. One I actually watched play a good bit in the NAHL(Charpentier) so that's pretty cool....and Pierre McGuires son...ugh.

Darmouth forward Nikita Nikora, Dartmouth defender Eric Charpentier, Vermont defenseman Duncan Ramsay, Vermont forward Jens Richards, Northeastern forward Ryan McGuire and Adrian College defender Ayodele Adeniye

Now if he ever makes it to the NHL, the amusement of Locker pronouncing his name is worth watching.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Well, 18 pages here. HF went down a couple of times. Messages were going to fast i couldn’t keep up with both X and boards. Good times folks! And great outcomes!

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Some moves I have loved and others have me scratching my head but I think the plan is to put together a team that can compete this year, and if it can’t then sell hard at the deadline and recoup assets.
Which moves have you scratching your head? When you look at them in totality (assuming Oshie is going to LTIR), it seems they had a well thought plan and followed it to a Tee. Sure, we won’t know if any of the players acquired were “back up options” — I honestly can’t look at it determine that any were? And the Beck trade kinda came outta left field,it seems….

But they are were done in synergy w each other, IMO.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Chychrun's handedness makes it difficult to work him into the PP setup they've always had.

But, it may be time for them to utilize a different setup anyway, with how mid the results have been the past three years.
It’s long overdue. And please no more 2 minutes of Ovie on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad