GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 72 84.7%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
There's no CMM trade rumors. There's just fans here who are riding a sugar high of trades and free agent signings today, and don't want to come down.
Look, there seems to be mixed thoughts on wether or not we are cap complaint.

If we need to trade people to be cap compliant, we have few options: TvR, CMM, Milano.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Look, there seems to be mixed thoughts on wether or not we are cap complaint.

If we need to trade people to be cap compliant, we have few options: TvR, CMM, Milano.
I don't think that fact changes the suggestion that a guy who just signed is probably not on that list.

They could also punt Sandin, who also just signed, and free up most of the money so slap him on the list.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
If CMM has improved his shot - getting it off quicker, etc… there’s still untapped upside there. His hockey IQ, and vision is really high, he just has had trouble finishing.

With Miro - actually getting to watch him during the CC run - He def needs more time in Hershey. He struggles a bit off the puck with his positioning, and general awareness. Love his compete and willingness to shoot tho.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Which is why he needs the Hershey time.

He lost development years in lower leagues due to illness, he shows a lot of talent, now he needs a takeover season and that's best done with the Bears given the depth chart right now. He cut his teeth in the NHL this year, took it back to the playoffs and contributed, he's probably about caught up physically by now... so it's time for him to go out and flex night after night.

Go try and lead the team/league in scoring and we'll see about the gift wrapped top 6 spot
Miro in exactly the same position McMichael and Lapierre were. And to some extent Protas. They tasted NHL games and got a development plan to take to Hershey and be a beast. Then take advantage of call-up. That is Miro next year. Beast out in Hershey and hopefully get a bunch of call-up games, lead Hershey to three-peat and then full time Cap in 2025-2026. Easy!

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
There's no CMM trade rumors. There's just fans here who are riding a sugar high of trades and free agent signings today, and don't want to come down.
There's no sugar high here. You can go back, I'm an original CMM truther. I just continue to see a clear hole in our top 6 wingers while having a log jam at center. The logical course is to try to use one of those two to fill that top 6 winger hole. CMM struggled mightly at wing, and his game seems like one that would struggle at the transition, and I'm not sure Lapierre is best served their either. In that case one of Lapierre or CMM is sitting out, and both need to be playing in the NHL at this point.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Also my point about Miro is he's not the kind of player you put in the AHL for a 1+ season and can reasonably expect a top-6 output in the NHL after that. He's a Russian player, homegrown and they don't like north american minor leagues. At least not the forwards. They usually lose their game there and become easily frustrated. You have to bet on him, like all in kinda bet to have any hope he turns out actually good. Put him in the lineup, give him skilled linemates, use him on PP disposals and all that. Give him an extended tryout with the big boys.
That all could still happen. Especially with Oshie seemingly done.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
If I was looking at a contract to shed someway from the current Capitals roster it would be Ethan Bear. It's a 2 mil contract with one year left.

I know it may seem cold since he was in the player assistance program, but in the words of Michael Corleone, it's not personal it's business.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Also my point about Miro is he's not the kind of player you put in the AHL for a 1+ season and can reasonably expect a top-6 output in the NHL after that. He's a Russian player, homegrown and they don't like north american minor leagues. At least not the forwards. They usually lose their game there and become easily frustrated. You have to bet on him, like all in kinda bet to have any hope he turns out actually good. Put him in the lineup, give him skilled linemates, use him on PP disposals and all that. Give him an extended tryout with the big boys.
He literally ended his contract in Russia early to come to North America last year. He’s going to get NHL looks again next season. He still has plenty of room to grow.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
There's no sugar high here. You can go back, I'm an original CMM truther. I just continue to see a clear hole in our top 6 wingers while having a log jam at center. The logical course is to try to use one of those two to fill that top 6 winger hole. CMM struggled mightly at wing, and his game seems like one that would struggle at the transition, and I'm not sure Lapierre is best served there either. In that case one of Lapierre or CMM is sitting out, and both need to be playing in the NHL at this point.
Same. I rooted for him to be sent down when he wasn’t ready (not Lavis fault). Supported him last year. have been chiming on his 18 goals and being better at center. Need him at 3C this year and Lappy on the wing because i think he can do there and not be a baby about it.

Trade candidates in my world order:
* Milano
* Sandin
* Dowd (Sutter as replacement)
* TVR
* McMichael

We probably will only move one of that group, but I do think we’ll need to move one.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
He had 0 problem going up and down this last season.

Everything the kid has been through tells me he is a gamer. If anything, he probably welcomes competition and having to earn his spot.

If he really has a chance to live up to his potential he can easily win the spot in camp. I’m sure there would be hand wringing on one of our new 4th line signings being demoted to the press box but that’s a good problem to have.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
If I was looking at a contract to shed someway from the current Capitals roster it would be Ethan Bear. It's a 2 mil contract with one year left.

I know it may seem cold since he was in the player assistance program, but in the words of Michael Corleone, it's not personal it's business.
I just don’t think Bear is tradeable. Who wants to take on that 2M. Probably nobody right now. He could get sent down and will have to pass waivers but if he gets claimed so be it… he was a free asset to acquire.

Same for Dahaimer and Raddysh. for that matter same with Milano. But GMBM has been great at getting value for some pieces we don’t want/need.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That doesn’t appear to be enough to make us cap compliant.

Anyway, if there is a consensus on this, I may have missed it.
tgScatW.png

That -$4.881M figure doesn't include Oshie on LTIR. Move Osh to LTIR (or true retirement) and then they're cap compliant, with a tiny bit of money to spare for an $860K extra forward (Rybinski or Trineyev). Demoting Sgarbossa would also free up an additional $775K.

Even if they opt to move someone for a bit more breathing room - there's no reason to think the list is limited to the names you mentioned. Bear and Dowd seem like much easier to candidates to move with minimal roster impact than the 23 year old they signed to a new contract earlier today. Even Fehervary could be an option (more likely if they're willing to commit long-term to Chychrun).

But, to repeat the initial point, they don't have to make a trade right now to become cap compliant, unless Oshie decides to play. And in that situation, none of the names we've talked about would get the job done. It would have to be someone like Wilson or Mangiapane to clear enough space to fit Oshie.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
24/25 lineup
Ovechkin - PLD - Wilson
Milano -Strome - Mangiapane
Lappiere - McMichael - Protas
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh
Sgarbossa/Frank

Fever/Carlson
Chychrun/Roy
Sandin/TVR
AA

Lindgren/Thompson

25/26 lineup
Ovechkin - PLD - Leonard
Mirochenko - Strome -Wilson
Milano -Lappiere - Protas
Duhaime -McMichael
Frank

Fever/Carlson
/Roy
Sandin/TVR
AA

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
All of our signings are now official. And lots of ex-caps on the move. NAK signed in BUF 1x1.5M. Dillon to NJ. Pilon signed a two-way deal in Ottawa. Sammy just went out west.

Looks like we lost Jimmy Huntington to Pens. That makes me sad.
What team in the West did Samsonov sign with?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Those 4th liners we just signed are totally tradeable and waivable if a better structure comes along. It would be savage, but no more so than trading CMM. Maybe that's the reason we got both... trade chips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad