GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 72 84.7%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think that is the right move. Miro needs another year in AHL (where we need some high end skill guys) and use him as a call-up. the Hershey depth is really important to consider as well. This also includes Rybinski and Trineyev. It’s ok to cook those guys longer.
Those last two guys you mentioned can be used in many roles, they can work their way up to the main team in a Malenstyn type of role if the stars align. Miro needs a different, more of a Trotz with Kuznetsov type of approach to insert him into the lineup and they're obviously not gonna give it to him

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
For the lines I hope Carbery has nothing set in stone and let the new players have a chance to play with other lines. Ovie could have any one of PLD, Strome, Lappy, CMM center him this season.

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Those last two guys you mentioned can be used in many roles, they can work their way up to the main team in a Malenstyn type of role if the stars align. Miro needs a different, more of a Trotz with Kuznetsov type of approach to insert him into the lineup and they're obviously not gonna give it to him
And Miro can refine the high end scoring skills and gain consistency in Hershey. He will likely be the first call-up for the Caps. And in Hershey he will play 1LW with Sgarbosa and either Frank or Dube.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Even if Oshie goes on LTIR I think they've got to clear about about $3.6M because the LTIR overage is limited to 10% of the cap
This is what CapFriendly says in their LTIR FAQ

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?​

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.
I read that as LTIR working as usual in the offseason, allowing teams to exceed the 10% cushion.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Some of the criticism on Washington being active is absurd. What's he supposed to do? Tear it to the studs outside of 8/74? Crazy. He's trying to improve like everyone else. There's some risk in the Roy term I guess but the Chychrun deal was a no-brainer. They've given up minimal value overall. Not sure what a Chychrun extension would look like and, more importantly, whether one and Sandin together can co-exist.

So I could see Sandin swapped for a winger maybe. Gostisbehere is still out there I believe. Brannstrom. Some cheap UFA wings left I guess but seems unlikely. Either way, have to like how they stack up in the East (at least currently).

There's still a path, albeit gone were Leonard to sign. But otherwise they could have Raddysh as the scratch if he's outplayed and Sgarbossa back in Hershey.
Seems like you are drinking the GMBM Kool Aid again. Good to have you back, we missed you!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The Caps are fortunate to have the best AHL affiliate there is, bar none. Miro just won his first North American championship. He's gonna get a chance to play top-line pro minutes and be The Guy in Hershey this year, with spot duty on the big club. Relax.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
So the day has come down to arguing over who will be a 4th line wing and what this does to Miro - I would call that a damn good problem to have.

My take on Miro is this - he obviously wants to be in the NHL and he has said as much. He got a taste of it last year, he got an AHL Cup Run in for some more experience. His offseason and training camp can go two ways, continue to do the same and follow the path of Lappy this past year, first guy with skill called up, play 20ish games in the NHL and be the best player in Hershey. The other path is he sees what Lappy went through and coming out and saying he never wants to be in Hershey again, that means going out this summer and taking someones spot on the Caps. It is a long shot but he is close and if things break right I could see him taking a huge step to own a spot on the Caps.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Even if Oshie goes on LTIR I think they've got to clear about about $3.6M because the LTIR overage is limited to 10% of the cap
That’s not accurate my man. Summer cushion is 10% of the Cap. The LTIR can carry throughout the Summer. They have to put him on LTIR shortly, I believe

Not this coming season, no. Doesn’t look like it (unless injury?).

They have a bunch of UFA’s coming on offense. So a full year in Hershey while being one of the first injury call ups — that’s not going to hurt him, IMO.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I mean it's there for Miro to beat out Milano if he shows well in camp, right? And hopefully that possibility motivates Milano to show that he can be a consistent net positive night in and night out, rather than a guy who has some spectacular games spread over maybe too many meh nights.

Seems good to have that kind of competition

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
That’s not accurate my man. Summer cushion is 10% of the Cap. The LTIR can carry throughout the Summer. They have to put him on LTIR shortly, I believe

Not this coming season, no. Doesn’t look like it (unless injury?).

They have a bunch of UFA’s coming on offense. So a full year in Hershey while being one of the first injury call ups — that’s not going to hurt him, IMO.
I mean for the season though. 110% of the cap is $96.8M and even if they carry 20 and bury Bear I've got them at $99.4M.
Whoops nm

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Seems like you are drinking the GMBM Kool Aid again. Good to have you back, we missed you!
Still think there are some clear limitations up front...but if they can get Leonard signed they could cook. It's a better foundation anyway between the Roy and Chychrun additions on the back-end.

It's still super early in the off-season but at least at this point hard not to like how they stack up in the East. Will be very interesting to see what else NYR/CAR/TBL/BOS/DET do.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not sure how the lines will be composited. There is a TON of mix and match ability to be used. Like a TON.

More than 3 players for all 4 lines, wrt how those players can play.

The newbies (Duhaime/Raddysh) are bottom 6. Along with Dowd, Milano, Protas, IMO

The other newbies (DuBois/Mangiapane) are top 6. Along w Ovechkin, Strome, Lapierre.

That leaves Wilson, McMichael and Oshie as middle 6 forwards.

LOTS of moving parts, and probably Oshie to LTIR.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Do you have a source for your claim that Backstrom's LTIRment was initiated by Caps management?

Also, remember that Backstrom tried to play this year, and effectively retired at the beginning of November. If Oshie were to do the same, they would still have to clear cap space.

I do, actually. Not from the Caps Org but from a pretty high up, plugged-in person in the hockey world. I'm not going to say who so feel free to ignore if you like. But the story was that after the start of the season the team basically sat Nick down, was very blunt about his performance, and pushed him to take a step back.

With Oshie, the situation is different because they were already talking about his future with uncertainty going back to the end of the season. 1K games and 300 goals were likely very important to him (1K games definitely was), and now we've crossed those milestones.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I mean for the season though. 110% of the cap is $96.8M and even if they carry 20 and bury Bear I've got them at $99.4M.
I don’t believe there is an LTIR cap amount. They are what they are — and as a franchise (the owner), if you are ok paying the extra monies that LTIR creates, then more power too you.

Toronto had a crap load of LTIR last year. Nothing stopped them from filling it all.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
This is their current situation with Backstrom and Oshie on LTIR, and with Lapierre up and Sgarbossa down (don't read into the lines and pairings, just putting this together to illustrate the total). If Bear's sent down the cap space goes up to 1.93M. They don't need to move anyone, although if they can get someone to take Bear's whole contract that'd be nice for their flexibility.

Current Cap.png

Attachments

• Current Cap.png
    Current Cap.png
    720.4 KB · Views: 2

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007
Also they better find a way to get Chychrun to sign an extension here because he's their last chance to stay at least relevant. That left D side without him is horrendous.

Ain't nobody wants Bear, if they did they'd sign him a year ago when he was there to grab
I'd imagine that they talked to the player prior to trading for him. Wouldn't be surprised to hear a 7 yr extension soon.

Agreed. Though you try at the TDL.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Lines I see, and like.

Ovi-PLD-Sonny/Miro
Mongo-Strome-Willy
Lappy-CMM-Protas
Duche-Dowd-Radish/Frank
Miro/Frank taking nacho turns and/or Hershey time

I could also see Lappy top line RW, his energy and hockey sense would go well with PLD.

But what do I know 🤷

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Throwing a white flag? He had one season in North America. He played well in limited deployments at the NHL level but I don’t see how any sane person watches those games and pencils him in as a top 6 winger next season. He needs more seasoning and that’s okay. He needs to work on consistently producing before he’s a full time NHLer
Wasn't Miro on the third line at Hershey this past season?

Agree with you, he needs another season in Hershey.

Lappiere has definitely graduated to the Capitals. I even have the likes of Frank and Dube getting called up before Miro for openings due to injuries in the top 9.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad