GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 72 84.7%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
They still have to move $3.6Mish off the books, no?
Not if Oshie's on LTIR. I think the moves today all but confirm that he's headed to LTIRetirement.

With Oshie on LTIR, this is the current setup, which leaves them with 1.03M in cap room.

Ovie-Strome-Wilson
Mangiapane-PLD-Protas
McMichael-Lapierre-Milano
Raddysh-Dowd-Duhaime

Fehervary-Carlson
Chychrun-Roy
Sandin-TVR
Alexeyev-Bear

Lindgren
Thompson

alexthekidd

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2008
London
Not if Oshie's on LTIR. I think the moves today all but confirm that he's headed to LTIRetirement.

With Oshie on LTIR, this is the current setup, which leaves them with 1.03M in cap room.

Ovie-Strome-Wilson
Mangiapane-PLD-Protas
Raddysh-Dowd-Duhaime

Fehervary-Carlson
Chychrun-Roy
Sandin-TVR
Alexeyev-Bear

Lindgren
Thompson

Leonard sure would look nice in that 2RW slot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'll be honest I don't know a ton about Duhaime but from what I have read and what you said he will be a pain in the ass, someone needs to PK too. I am fine with making our AHL guys prove it and take his spot and if he gets scratched so be it. Good problem to have if we are arguing over who plays 4th line minutes.
It mostly comes down to $1.85M being a lot for a 12th-14th forward. The fact that Raddysh got $1M is kinda proof of that. Dowd makes $1.3M. Milano makes $1.9M.

Is $1.85M going to break the team? Hopefully not. But in comparison to someone like Rybinski making $860K, that extra million could be the difference between keeping a guy like TvR or not.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
It mostly comes down to $1.85M being a lot for a 12th-14th forward. The fact that Raddysh got $1M is kinda proof of that. Dowd makes $1.3M. Milano makes $1.9M.

Is $1.85M going to break the team? Hopefully not. But in comparison to someone like Rybinski making $860K, that extra million could be the difference between keeping a guy like TvR or not.
Trenin got 4x3.5M. Jeannot got a 2nd and a 4th. Beck got a 2nd. I think this is the new reality. Some of it's the cap going up, but the league has been moving for years now towards more specialized deployments. Your offensive stars get the O-Zone shifts, so someone needs to take the D-Zone shifts and not get caved in. Teams are realizing you can invest a bit more than other teams in your 4th line, give it the tough minutes, and make up that investment with more offense from your stars.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Decided to peruse over to the Pens board and there's a poster laughing at the Caps for "still trying to contend" with these moves as if the Penguins didn't just trade for Erik Karlsson last summer only to completely miss the playoffs.

FWIW the overall sentiment over there is that our offseason is strong.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Trenin got 4x3.5M. Jeannot got a 2nd and a 4th. Beck got a 2nd. I think this is the new reality. Some of it's the cap going up, but the league has been moving for years now towards more specialized deployments. Your offensive stars get the O-Zone shifts, so someone needs to take the D-Zone shifts and not get caved in. Teams are realizing you can invest a bit more than other teams in your 4th line, give it the tough minutes, and make up that investment with more offense from your stars.
I don't really view Duhaime as a match-up 4th liner though. He's been more of a sparkplug, an energy 4th liner. His game is much more about throwing everything out there with reckless abandon on the forecheck (and a fair bit of fighting). He's more of the 4th liner that you put up there to wear down your opponent's D and fire up your team with a big hit. He's much less of the guy you trust against top forwards to get the puck out of your zone and chew up 45 seconds with a keep-away cycle. Duhaime's line got absolutely crushed in their defensive deployments in Minnesota.

That being said, I would love if he can grow into a broader defensive role at even-strength. He's got PK experience (albeit PK and 5v5 defense are two different beats) and he's got good wheels. So it's possible he can develop that aspect of his game.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

So...

Ovechkin - PLD - Wilson
Milano - Strome - Mangiapane
Lapierre - McMichael - Protas
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh
Sgarbossa/Sutter/etc.

Chychrun - Carlson
Fehervary - Roy
Sandin - TVR
Alexeyev, Bear

Lindgren
Thompson

Wings remain a bit thin as we continue to wait on Lenny. They're basically capped out now even with Oshie -> LTIR it looks like (after promoting Lapierre and keeping Sgarbossa as the extra). They probably won't go with 8D, of course. HHA, Sutter & Limoges are all arbitration-eligible so perhaps there's a slim chance a second buyout window could open up (for Bear).

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Decided to peruse over to the Pens board and there's a poster laughing at the Caps for "still trying to contend" with these moves as if the Penguins didn't just trade for Erik Karlsson last summer only to completely miss the playoffs.

FWIW the overall sentiment over there is that our offseason is strong.
We kept all our own 1st and 2nd rounders and prospects. Makes it even better

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I don't really view Duhaime as a match-up 4th liner though. He's been more of a sparkplug, an energy 4th liner. His game is much more about throwing everything out there with reckless abandon on the forecheck (and a fair bit of fighting). He's more of the 4th liner that you put up there to wear down your opponent's D and fire up your team with a big hit. He's much less of the guy you trust against top forwards to get the puck out of your zone and chew up 45 seconds with a keep-away cycle. Duhaime's line got absolutely crushed in their defensive deployments in Minnesota.

That being said, I would love if he can grow into a broader defensive role at even-strength. He's got PK experience (albeit PK and 5v5 defense are two different beats) and he's got good wheels. So it's possible he can develop that aspect of his game.
I assume the Caps see traits in Duhaime that make them think with the right system and linemates he can be that guy. If there's anything MacLellan's excelled at and earned the benefit of the doubt on, it's finding guys that fit together to make an elite 4th line.

Also, the guy's in a prank war with Marc-Andre Fleury. That adds at least 500K of value, right?

Seriously though, he sounds like a great locker room guy and I think that factors in.

Reactions: um

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Caps management pushed Backstrom to LTIRetire last season (wasn't initiated by Nick) and they are probably going to do the same with Oshie. TJ got to 1,000 games and 300 goals. Time to hang 'em up.

What a retool!
Do you have a source for your claim that Backstrom's LTIRment was initiated by Caps management?

Also, remember that Backstrom tried to play this year, and effectively retired at the beginning of November. If Oshie were to do the same, they would still have to clear cap space.

Reactions: um and Block

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

Ovie-Strome-Wilson
Mangiapane-PLD-Protas
Raddysh-Dowd-Duhaime

Fehervary-Carlson
Chychrun-Roy
Sandin-TVR
Alexeyev-Bear

Lindgren
Thompson
Trade one of those 3rd/4th pair D for McGroarty and we're in business.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad