GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 71 84.5%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I saw Leason not qualified by AMA. We could grab him at league minimum as an option for the 4th line. This would make Protas happy. Especially if they do move Dowd and it would reunite them on the 4th line, maybe with Trineyev.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Roy sounds like a D zone defender and PK. With almost 0 offensive skill to add. Im not sure where he fits in if the rumors are true we are in on him.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
My understanding is we just have to ignor any potential LTIR Relief for Oshie until after the season starts. We can use the 10% Summer Cushion until then and CAN use Backstrom's LTIR Relief now because he is already on LTIR.

So right now, I believe about $12 to work with after the CMM signing.

And that is assuming Bear plays.

Reactions: Serial_Derecho

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
My understanding is we just have to ignor any potential LTIR Relief for Oshie until after the season starts. We can use the 10% Summer Cushion until then and CAN use Backstrom's LTIR Relief now because he is already on LTIR.

So right now, I believe about $12 to work with after the CMM signing.
Summer LTIR is a thing. IF Oshie is going to spend the season on LTIR, he can spend the summer on it too.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm not sure Roy is better than Jensen. Nick obviously had a down year in 2023-24, but he also had some struggles when he first arrived in Washington. He seems to take some time to learn a new system, and he was hesitating under Carbery's defensive system early in the year. He looked better later in the season, and I think he rebounds in 2024-25. He's an asset in getting the puck out of the D Zone and into the O Zone with control. If he can bring his Zone Entry denial back in line with his previous career expectations, he's then back to being a significant asset to the team.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to having a younger version of Jensen in Matt Roy.

Reactions: tycoonheart

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I saw Leason not qualified by AMA. We could grab him at league minimum as an option for the 4th line. This would make Protas happy. Especially if they do move Dowd and it would reunite them on the 4th line, maybe with Trineyev.
This would be an interesting move. I loved Leason, but I don’t think he has the ability to move up the lineup like say Trineyev. Doesn’t offer the flexibility that Rybinski and Sutter offer. Only thing he brings is size and some NHL experience which the other two don’t posses.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Sorry but this is a lazy take by Whyno. He doesn’t factor in athletes being subject to a jock tax, which significantly eats into potential tax savings from playing in Florida, Texas, or Nevada. Per motleyfool.com
It's $63M vs $64M, I'm pretty confident he's right even if it isn't a huge gap, obviously it's a year less and that is more significant

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not sure Roy is better than Jensen. Nick obviously had a down year in 2023-24, but he also had some struggles when he first arrived in Washington. He seems to take some time to learn a new system, and he was hesitating under Carbery's defensive system early in the year. He looked better later in the season, and I think he rebounds in 2024-25. He's an asset in getting the puck out of the D Zone and into the O Zone with control. If he can bring his Zone Entry denial back in line with his previous career expectations, he's then back to being a significant asset to the team.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to having a younger version of Jensen in Matt Roy.
I just disagree. Jensen is gonna be 34 right as the season starts, it's probably more likely father time is catching up with him then it was simply a down year. Even if he wasn't, I'm not sure I agree Roy is worse, or even equal too, Jensen. I think he's a much better defender while being younger. Seems like a no brainer if they can do the swap.

1719848016761.jpeg

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
This would be an interesting move. I loved Leason, but I don’t think he has the ability to move up the lineup like say Trineyev. Doesn’t offer the flexibility that Rybinski and Sutter offer. Only thing he brings is size and some NHL experience which the other two don’t posses.

Posters on the AMA board liked his PK so there is that. He and Protas were very solid together in Junior and I always thought we didn't want lose him and hoped to get him through waivers because of the numbers at that time. Again, just another option.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I’d like to see them move TvR and move Jensen to 3RD if they sign Roy. Roy and Jensen don’t provide much offense but they’d be strong 2 and 3RD options defensively which should help reduce the load on Carlson and help with matchups.

You’d likely see:

Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Roy
Alexeyev/HHA/free agent-Jensen

I wouldn’t rule out a 2LD acquisition as well and pushing Sandin to the third pair.

Fever-Carlson
Chyrchrun-Roy
Sandin-Jensen

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

It’s just as much about switching up the chemistry on blue line. It’s not effective right now. And yes, a younger D also fits the mantra. I’d be happy if we could move out Jensen and bring in Roy.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If Jensen can be used in a trade to address another need, and Roy--five years younger, every bit as defensively solid, and puts up the same offensive numbers as Jensen--can be brought in via free agency to replace Jensen, I'd consider that a win-win. Especially if Roy can also be paired with Sandin and improve his play. (Wasn't Sandin touted as an offensive defenseman? His offense has been pretty disappointing so far...)

Or, as mentioned above, move TVR instead and drop Jensen down to 3RD. Though I appreciate TVR's ability to play both sides on the third pairing, which could be great if we've got Alexeyev and Iorio as 3LHD and 3RHD options and they need a vet presence to help them out.

Reactions: DWGie26

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think Evolving Hockey had CMM at 2x$2.3, TEB mentioned it here but nothing at monumental is loading

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I’d like to see them move TvR and move Jensen to 3RD if they sign Roy. Roy and Jensen don’t provide much offense but they’d be strong 2 and 3RD options defensively which should help reduce the load on Carlson and help with matchups.

You’d likely see:

Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Roy
Alexeyev/HHA/free agent-Jensen

I wouldn’t rule out a 2LD acquisition as well and pushing Sandin to the third pair.

Fever-Carlson
Chyrchrun-Roy
Sandin-Jensen
Do you prefer to move Jensen or do you think it is just more likely given some political issues like relationship with Dowd and perhaps salary being a million less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad