GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 71 84.5%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
re: Lomberg
he's a big fan favorite and great locker room energy guy, very Oshie-like; duder gives 100% every time

gotta think FLA will try to keep him but maybe that 500K raise or whatever he's trying to get prices him out

I'd enjoy him in WSH but I think bringing up a Hershey on the cheap is best for 4th line this year

I really liked what I saw out of Lomberg during the playoffs, and I know we've got that 4LW opening now. But I'd still rather give some of the younger Hershey guys the chance to compete for that spot. Especially if Lomberg is due for a hefty raise (and given that he's already 29).

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
If Bear shows up to camp looking like an NHL player it would really help our D depth
Judging by Backy and Wilson coming back mid season after long term injuries and struggling, it’s not hard to imagine why Bear didn’t hit the ground running either. New teammates/new coach, new system, long layoff, and obviously struggling with something else as well.. a full offseason, familiarity with the environment/tactics, being ready from the get go. He might push TVR/Jensen down the lineup (best case scenario)

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
It was always a pipe dream. But why let that stop one from making impossible demands out of GMBM and preemptively complaining that he couldn't get it done?
Right here. Admitted they wouldn’t be getting either. Ehlers was my most realistic want but I don’t see that happening either.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Sorry but this is a lazy take by Whyno. He doesn’t factor in athletes being subject to a jock tax, which significantly eats into potential tax savings from playing in Florida, Texas, or Nevada. Per motleyfool.com

The jock tax​

While the average taxpayer will typically only have to worry about federal and state taxes, athletes have an additional tax to pay. Athletes are subject to what's known as the "jock tax," which is when they must file tax returns in all of the jurisdictions where they play that have an income tax. This is one way states try to boost their revenues.

On average, an NFL player will file between eight to 12 non-resident state tax returns, NBA players file 16 to 20, and MLB players 20 to 25. Thanks to the jock tax, one of the most successful basketball players, LeBron James, pays income taxes in 18 states. Visiting professional teams can potentially pay thousands of dollars in state tax revenue for every day they spend in that state.

It's important to note that the jock tax is not limited to professional sports; entertainers and even certain corporate executives may also be subject to a jock tax if they're traveling for their job. Ultimately, it is an additional expense that athletes have to account for every time they travel outside their designated jurisdiction in order to perform their job duties.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Right here. Admitted they wouldn’t be getting either. Ehlers was my most realistic want but I don’t see that happening either.
Well, there's always (faint) hope for some kind of Ehlers + McGroaty trade. Many WPG fans on that thread have specifically stated the need for a young/established NHL 2C and/or #4 RHD (in addition to picks), all of which we happen to have. (Or something close to it.)

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Again I ask, if we’re so hot to dump Jensen and/or TvR, what teams are clamoring to acquire them?
Ottawa and Buffalo both need RHD and will have a tough time attracting ones through free agency, so trading for guys like Jensen and TVR who don't have trade protection would make sense. Carolina suddenly has awful RHD depth with Pesce leaving and has familiarity with TVR. Edmonton could use a stable 2B type to go along with Ceci and I think they were rumored to be interested in Jensen (might be imagining that). That's by no means a comprehensive list, just the teams I thought of off the top of my head. There's always teams that need RHD, and not all of them will be able to land the handful of good ones on the market.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
July 5th, and puckpedia seems to be the leader, though it has a ways to go before it catches up with capfriendly
Yeah, PuckPedia seems to be the front runner. I just added them to my Caps/NHL Twitter feed. They are clearly trying to step up. But yeah, I looked at their site last night and yuck. have some work to do. I’m really gonna miss Cap Friendly, but if someone was going to buy it, I’m glad it was Caps.

Also, love GMBM being a bit of a bully on several things. Make some more magic today Mac!

Reactions: Marshall

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
So far Friedman is 4/4, maybe 5/5 if Dreger's right that OEL's signing in Toronto. Slowly feeling better about his Roy to the Caps projection....

Edit: Might now be 6/6 with Montour to Seattle

Edit: Trenin to Minnesota makes him 7/7

Brenden Dillon: New Jersey.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson: Toronto was chasing hard.

Brett Pesce: New Jersey.

Chris Tanev: Toronto (around six years at $4.5M AAV).

Tyler Bertuzzi: Chicago.
Brandon Montour: I thought Utah, but now I'm not as certain. A lot of teams like his fire. Seattle is looking for more offence and is believed to be in the mix.

Last edited:

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
On days like today, I really with twitter links worked on HFB. Is the trick still to replace the "x" in the url with "twitter" so the tweets show up? (Right now, I have to actually click the link before the tweet shows up on HFBoards. Or maybe there's just a massive delay?)

Also, LOL: TSN's Free Agent Frenzy show hasn't even started yet, and many of the big deals have already broken.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad