GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I'm not caught up on everything because I've been at work... but the NMC and the NTC are there for a reason. Obviously you get less protection with a NTC. I have no idea what's fact or fiction yet but if he's claiming he won't report to a team he's traded to or claimed on waivers off of isn't that text book breach of contract stuff? I can't imagine they'd let that fly. Him even saying that is kinda questionable in that regard

End of the day he negotiated a contract that made him one of the highest paid defenders in the league at that time. He hasn't performed anything like that. There's a replacement in-house and we need the cap space. If he performed anywhere near his contract they would've prioritized keeping him... sorry
yeah i dunno why it's become so much more personal and apparently acrimonious in this specific situation.

the interesting thing is how it usually plays out publicly in NHL is guys say "i don't want to play for a team that doesn't want me."

but here it sounds like Trouba cares less about playing for an organization that wants him off the team than he cares about staying in the same city for personal and family reasons. Is he just more willing than almost every other NhL player to wield that implicit power? to effectively prevent other teams from trying to acquire him by lowering his own value by being incredibly difficult and - relative to other players - petulant in the name of his wife's career?

Or has this just not played out yet and he'll go to Anaheim with Kakko for Zegras tomorrow

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
yeah i dunno why it's become so much more personal and apparently acrimonious in this specific situation.

the interesting thing is how it usually plays out publicly in NHL is guys say "i don't want to play for a team that doesn't want me."

but here it sounds like Trouba cares less about playing for an organization that wants him off the team than he cares about staying in the same city for personal and family reasons. Is he just more willing than almost every other NhL player to wield that implicit power? to effectively prevent other teams from trying to acquire him by lowering his own value by being incredibly difficult and - relative to other players - petulant in tempe name of his wife's career?

Or has this just not played out yet and he'll go to Anaheim with Kakko for Zegras tomorrow
Sign me up for that bottom part 🤣🤣🤣

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Don’t be so soft.

He’ll be fine. If he sticks around, then maybe he gets some boos. 90% of the fanbase won’t have a clue or care after he throws his first big hit.
Exactly. 90 percent of the fans who attend the game have no idea. They still think he's a good player.
We are the only idiots who take this bs to heart.

Reactions: Barnaby

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
We could just keep him on the roster all season and scratch him every night to play Chad. Every 6 weeks or so, send him to Hartford for conditioning. Drury could be a real bustard if he wanted to be.

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I was just looking at some of the signings today. Holy shit. Worse than I thought. Many of these prices and term are completely insane. I had to do a double take on some of them. Glad we stayed away.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Why do you say that? Rempe literally is already fourth liner and Edstrom got minutes and will most likely get a job this year. Then one of Berard or Othmann. That's already 2-3. Not everyone will make it and not everyone does. You get those guys and someone like a Mancini hits, that's good value. The last core had a bunch of guys who did.

Too negative.
Nah, it’s realistic.

I’ve been coming to this board for 20 years. I’ve seen a 1,000 future lineups containing half to 2/3 homegrown line ups. You listed a number of fringe prospects as if they’ll be future core pieces. You hope a few guys make it. Most won’t.

We had a top 5 prospect list not too long ago. We drafted a few solid pieces and had more than a few busts. Could Chmelar or Roobrek make it? Sure, but odds are stacked against them just like they are with most of these kids. It’s not too long ago we were drafting Kakko with Lias, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, and Chytil (now injuries), on the way. We traded for Hajek and Howden. Look at how many high end pieces we had. What happened to all the fringe guys we drafted those years? If Laf didn’t pan out it’d really look poor.

Hopefully Othmann and Perreault pan out. Perreault might have higher end potential. Everyone else is pretty much a long shot to be anything more than a 4th liner or bottom pair dman - if they are lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crease

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Do you have kids? If I was going to be ripped from my infant kids for 8 months I would lose my shit, so if I already had millions in the bank I would probably do the same thing he is...
Most of these guys have kids.

They still get traded or take the biggest free agent contract offer all the time.

They always talk about it being part of the job. It’s a business. You go for contract protection when you’re a UFA, but once that’s over then that’s it. That’s what you bargained for and received. You don’t throw a tantrum afterwards. I think it’s unprofessional. Different scenario, but this reminds me of the Tavares nonsense.

Further, the Rangers agreement with him was contingent on his trade protection. They may have offered fewer years or lower AAV for two more years of a NMC. To me, that’s unprofessional, but I guess par for the course after his WPG situation.

I didn’t see Stepan, Staal, Gaborik, etc.. having meltdowns.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think the real reason is they respect him as a player and leader. They see him playing hard and playing in the playoffs with a broken ankle and going to war with the guy.

This is the kind of thing where I roll my eyes when people take players' opinions on roster building seriously. What players like does not necessarily correlate with winning.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers are a very good regular season team.....they're just not built for playoff style hockey.

They weren't built for the playoffs like Florida was built....one team, that is true. Florida pressures the puck all over the ice. The only other team that really does that is Carolina. The main difference was that Florida was a lot more physical than Carolina. The Rangers failed the test against them for sure. Puck movement was definitely part of the problem but the Panthers also dominated us physically. Unless we're saying that only one team is built for playoff style hockey and that team is the winner of the Stanley Cup though it's a curious idea to have.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Nah, it’s realistic.

I’ve been coming to this board for 20 years. I’ve seen a 1,000 future lineups containing half to 2/3 homegrown line ups. You listed a number of fringe prospects as if they’ll be future core pieces. You hope a few guys make it. Most won’t.

We had a top 5 prospect list not too long ago. We drafted a few solid pieces and had more than a few busts. Could Chmelar or Roobrek make it? Sure, but odds are stacked against them just like they are with most of these kids. It’s not too long ago we were drafting Kakko with Lias, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, and Chytil (now injuries), on the way. We traded for Hajek and Howden. Look at how many high end pieces we had. What happened to all the fringe guys we drafted those years? If Laf didn’t pan out it’d really look poor.

Hopefully Othmann and Perreault pan out. Perreault might have higher end potential. Everyone else is pretty much a long shot to be anything more than a 4th liner or bottom pair dman - if they are lucky.
I disagree. It depends who is making the picks. I think we have a pretty good prospect group and Drury has been good with the drafting. Jones, Rempe, Edstrom, Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Perreault, and Garand will all likely make it in the NHL with this team or another, obviously with different degrees of succcess. There are others who have a shot as well.

This is the kind of thing where I roll my eyes when people take players' opinions on roster building seriously. What players like does not necessarily correlate with winning.
Never said it did, just that they respect the guy and will have his back if he were to be on the team next year.

Reactions: mr figgles

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
What's the gripe?

A player is free not to report to a team and forfeit their contract. Patrick Berglund ring a bell? Remember that shit storm of embarrassment for the teams?
Yea, so does everyone else.

That’s why he essentially circumvented his contract to add a full NTC. Something he agreed to in contract negotiations. He put his pen to paper and is receiving 56 million in exchange.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
He can't move his family!?

That's the entire point. His wife can't move and there is no world that he would move and take the infant child away from his wife/it's mom.

This isn't him not wanting to move his family, he literally can't move them until next summer...

Im not being a smart ass, but do you realize his family literally can't move right now bc of his wife's residency? She can't move until next summer. So either he leaves his family or rips his kid away from his wife until she can move. Both are a disaster and teams would be beyond stupid to expect his to perform even semi decent with that kind of off ice drama at play. This isn't complicated. It's a unique situation.
He signed a 56 million dollar contract. Of course he can move. Are you high? What do you think military officers do? They spend 6 months in the Middle East. He’d be an hour flight away. What about the guys who get traded when their kids are halfway through a school year? What about when your kids are in school and you don’t get qualified and have to pick everyone up and go to a new city or new country?

Yea, no team is dealing with it now, but it’s wildly unprofessional as he agreed to and negotiated this deal.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Reading between the lines it seems like Trouba and his camp scared off even the teams not on his list. Basically saying, even if you trade me to a team not on my list I won’t report.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if that’s what went down, what a prima donna. f*** this guy.

And how would teams know this is a problem? They are doing the research and independently concluding that they wouldn’t want to acquire him and put stress on his family situation out of the kindness of their hearts?

Or his his f***ing agent warning off all the teams tell him Jacob wouldn’t report? Or he’d report but it would be miserable and it would effect his performance?

They should waive this guy and send him to play in Hartford on principal.

Completely agree. Drury should waive him.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Reading between the lines it seems like Trouba and his camp scared off even the teams not on his list. Basically saying, even if you trade me to a team not on my list I won’t report.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if that’s what went down, what a prima donna. f*** this guy.
And that should be considered circumvention of his NTC and therefore his contract should be voided. What good is going from a NMC to a NTC if you have scared away the other 16 teams not on your list?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
And that should be considered circumvention of his NTC and therefore his contract should be voided. What good is going from a NMC to a NTC if you have scared away the other 16 teams not on your list?

Well it's clear we aren't going to fight him on it.

We're taking it up the backside but fighting him on it probably hurts the prospect of other players signing with us in the future.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Have little sympathy for Trouba. He's not the first athlete with a family. If he's just going to threaten to not report to any team even though he now only has a limited NTC, enjoy Hartford. He shouldn't play another second at MSG unless it's as a visitor.

It's time to cut bait, even if they have to drag Jacob kicking and screaming out of the arena like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

We'll see how it shakes out but this posturing is ridiculous.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They weren't built for the playoffs like Florida was built....one team, that is true. Florida pressures the puck all over the ice. The only other team that really does that is Carolina. The main difference was that Florida was a lot more physical than Carolina. The Rangers failed the test against them for sure. Puck movement was definitely part of the problem but the Panthers also dominated us physically. Unless we're saying that only one team is built for playoff style hockey and that team is the winner of the Stanley Cup though it's a curious idea to have.
No No you are wrong. Any team that doesn't win the cup isn't built for the playoffs. Edmonton sucks, Rangers suck, Carolina sucks. It doesn't matter if you are one of four teams standing. It means nothing. :sarcasm:

Well it's clear we aren't going to fight him on it.

We're taking it up the backside but fighting him on it probably hurts the prospect of other players signing with us in the future.
I don't think anything is clear at this point tbh.

Reactions: eco's bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad