GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Complete clown show and while Trouba is being a bitch it’s not his fault NYR are idiots and waited so many years to start alienating him. He didn’t start sucking yesterday. Why did they have to let him nuke 2 conference finals runs

I think his agent can basically alert teams of the impending shit show he will cause upon trade to just scare them away from even trying it

Right. So he's essentially blocking every trade which should be a breach of contract or something.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
He won't accept a trade to a team even on his list?

So he'll void his contract? But I guess we're gonna give him his way?

I guess we're just f***ed and have to essentially give him a full NMC because of his wife?

I guess his family is more important than any other player who has been traded in pro sports

Trouba has cried his way into a 30 team NMC despite that not being in his contract.
If he or his agent have scared off the 16 teams not on his list, the Rangers should have some legal recourse. I don't know if there is a grievance system in the NHL. If there isn't, then sue his ass.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
As Day 1 ends, I do think there are some positives.

Reilly Smith is a clear upgrade on Jack Roslovic. A more consistent player in expectations of what you will get. Has won. Has PK’ed. Can play either wing if needed. So a lot of versatility there. We have a better option than what we started last season with.

Goodrow (who I liked) was claimed on Waivers freeing up critical cap space.

I like Carrick. I think he helps the void left by Goodrow. Versatile and experienced. 4C handled.

I expect continued growth from Schneider and obviously Lafreniere. The real hope is 2 things;

1- Chytil staying healthy.
2- Kakko figuring out what Lafreniere did this past year. Kakko had 40 points last year. Can he get back on that upward trajectory. He hits the other underlying numbers, now need the production.

You have a lot of young forwards to fill out the 4th line & 13th forward slots. You have depth in Hartford should there be injuries with expected continued growth from Othmann/Berard/Sykora.

The biggest questions reside with the D. Trouba and Jones. We will see what happens there.

Reactions: TommyHip

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wouldn't his refusal nullify the no trade clause?
No. His no trade list is what it is. If he's traded to a team not on the list he could potentially refuse to report, which would end up with him being suspended. The acquiring team could also try to move to terminate his contract.

The whole reason we're having to talk about this, though, is that other teams don't want to have to deal with this shit. If a team thinks a guy might not report, they have no reason to trade for him and then have to deal with the ensuing headache. It's just not practical. Trouba was a headache for Winnipeg and now he's a headache for us.

This was my point last night about why it's easy to trade him on paper, but not necessarily in reality. On paper, we can trade him to 16 teams, no questions asked. The reality is that Trouba doesn't want to play for many of those teams and might not want to play for ANY of them, and in turn there are very, very few teams that would want to try to trade for him (or claim him on waivers or whatever).

Across all sports, we see players force their way to various places and prevent themselves from going various places, basically by doing nothing more than making their wishes public knowledge. This is one of those things.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Spoiler alert:

Most of these guys aren’t going to pan out. Hopefully 2-3 do.

I’ve been looking at “future lineups” for damn near 20 years now.

Still waiting on future shut down center Steve Fogarty.
Why do you say that? Rempe literally is already fourth liner and Edstrom got minutes and will most likely get a job this year. Then one of Berard or Othmann. That's already 2-3. Not everyone will make it and not everyone does. You get those guys and someone like a Mancini hits, that's good value. The last core had a bunch of guys who did.

Too negative.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Brooks article is written as if Drury is having a tantrum and is going to bully trouba into accepting leaving. Drury is a narcissist, he isn't use to not getting his way. This will be interesting.

Also this line from Brooks is 100 percent accurate and anyone that even suggests reily smith is a better piece than the names he listed as the piece to help this team take the next step then you're lying to yourself. They missed even on the tier two names and they ended up wasting more picks on a tier 3 option...

"Not one of them, whether Tyler Bertuzzi, Jake DeBrusk, Jonathan Marchessault or Tyler Toffoli would have made the difference against the Panthers and that is the only gauge by which management should be evaluating potential additions."
Not one of those other guys were going to sign a short term deal. The Rangers need the money to sign Laf, Miller, and Shesty next year. Reily was a good fit because he can put up 40-50 points and has 1 year left on his contract.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If he or his agent have scared off the 16 teams not on his list, the Rangers should have some legal recourse. I don't know if there is a grievance system in the NHL. If there isn't, then sue his ass.
It's really 18. Don't include the Islanders and Devils as targets. They ain't doing business with the Rangers.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
There are still ways out of this if Drury wants to do it. Lindgren can file for arbitration which is a no brainer unless he is close to finalizing a deal (hopefully not). Once he files, the 2nd buyout opens and Trouba has a high enough cap hit he can be bought out.

You can walk away from Lindgren in arbitration if his salary exceeds a certain amount. If Drury really wants to do this, he can, but I guess it'll piss too many of these guys off. The goal is to win the cup, not become best friends.

An upgrade on Lindgren is literally not much, but outside of a lower salary, I'm not sure there are many RHD left that are a significant upgrade at the current time to Trouba.

At this point, if we cut ties with Lindgren and get another LHD in free agency, we would be okay. Could explore the trade market in season for a LHD if need be.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
They should have some recourse. I would think this is not legal if true.
The agent can inform teams of the personal situation and direct them avoid a claim and such. It's not complicated. It's happened for decades behind the scenes.

What team is going to trade for him or claim him and essentially rip him away from his wife and infant kid? What idiot org would think that would work out well for their team?

The only teams that could help nyr in this situation are the Islanders or the devils but...

I'm not rationalizing anything. It's a fact. They don't have the money to sign any of those guys for 4 or 5 years with the contract extensions next year.
It's rationalizing. You think they were trying to trade trouba out to clear cap space to do nothing but get smith today? Come on

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The agent can inform teams of the personal situation and direct them avoid a claim and such. It's not complicated. It's happened for decades behind the scenes.

What team is going to trade for him or claim him and essentially rip him away from his wife and infant kid? What idiot org would think that would work out well for their team?

The only teams that could help nyr in this situation are the Islanders or the devils but...
So then his NTC is basically a NMC. Seems illegal to me.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

So anybody with a wife and kid gets a full NMC

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Trouba has made enough money for his wife to realistically never have to work a day in her life.

Of course she has the choice to work and not besmirching that, quite the opposite.

Trouba not accepting a trade and missing out on 8 million, I’d call bs. That’s more money than his wife will probably ever earn.

I’m not even sure I want to watch next season, we know the outcome with this roster.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Idk if anyone said it or not but has anyone mentioned that Wennberg might be one of the greatest huckster's of all time? The guy completely rides the coattails of his early career and just continues to pull in absurd contracts that don't align with his skillset. I'm sure San Jose needs to get to the cap floor but Jesus christ... the guy is making 5 million a year and hasn't had a 40 point season in almost a decade. Good for him, fantastic huckster

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
So then his NTC is basically a NMC. Seems illegal to me.
Not really, teams are free to do it but they won't.

You can go walk out in front of a bus but hopefully you won't

Remember Travis hamonic? Guy had a sick family member and could have been traded for assets and such. No one would take him and no one would trade him except to help his situation.

There is legal limitations and then rational limitations. No one that digs I to this situation is going to take trouba and rip him away from his family in this situation.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

It's rationalizing. You think they were trying to trade trouba out to clear cap space to do nothing but get smith today? Come on
Sure if Trouba was traded but he wasn't. Was this purely Drury's fault that he wasn't traded though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad