GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
In two years well know how Othmann, Berard, Edstrom, Rempe, Sykora all are as pros. I don't expect any of those guys to have a Kucherov ascension but some should definitely be experienced locked in middle six wingers. Cullye will be much more seasoned.

Pearrault joins. Hopefully a Chlemar or Rooberak steals a spot. Who knows what BMB or one of the kids they got this year becomes.

Lindgren and Trouba will be out and Mancini and Fortescue in.

And you still have your centers while signing another one on the UFA market. This team has the pieces to be good to very good the remainder of this decade.

I like some of what's in the pipeline, but beyond Perrault there are no all-star players there.

Especially at the center position. The best centers are almost never there in UFA. Especially in their primes. It's one of the hardest things in the league to acquire.

Reactions: Barnaby and Atax

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
People keep mentioning the trade deadline. When was the last time the Rangers got someone at the deadline that was a difference maker?
St Louis? Brassard?

The idea that this team is going to get anything better then like a 2nd pairing defensemen is ludicrous. The deadline wont turn this team into a serious cup contender if they make no moves to upgrade this defense now.
It is quite literally July 1st. There is plenty of time left. Most of the UFA deals were atrocious.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I like some of what's in the pipeline, but beyond Perrault there are no all-star players there.

Especially at the center position. The best centers are almost never there in UFA. Especially in their primes. It's one of the hardest things in the league to acquire.
Not banking on it. We'll see what's up with Marner or Tavares next offseason, or if Draisatl makes it.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Yeah today is meaningless ultimately. I think today is just a reminder of the spot the team is at defensively and how we feel stuck in this mire of being unable to clear the zone against strong forechecks.
listen it's easy to rest on the laurels of relative success, to point to the team and say hey look at our results, Pres Trophy, ECF, we're close.

It's hard to make big moves on the back of that kind of success, to recognize that the results were indicative of goaltending prowess more than skater on-ice efficacy. It's hard to find defensemen who can handle strong forechecks.

But that's what it takes to win. Can Drury continue what he started by waiving goodrow and trade for the Defensive pieces we need?

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
listen it's easy to rest on the laurels of relative success, to point to the team and say hey look at our results, Pres Trophy, ECF, we're close.

It's hard to make big moves on the back of that kind of success, to recognize that the results were indicative of goaltending prowess more than skater on-ice efficacy. It's hard to find defensemen who can handle strong forechecks.

But that's what it takes to win. Can Drury continue what he started by waiving goodrow and trade for the Defensive pieces we need?
I am not sure what I even expected going into today. I suppose just the Trouba move that may not even happen. To that end I am disappointed. Doubly so because it was done in a shit way so far.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
But with a player like Wennberg getting 5m AAV, Duclair getting 4x3.5...

I can tell you- it's only going to get stupider and stupider as the cap starts to accellerate upwards and the league continues to dilute talent by expanding.

This team is going to want cost-controlled assets.

Reactions: Galvatron and Atax

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
In two years we’ll know how Othmann, Berard, Edstrom, Rempe, Sykora all are as pros. I don't expect any of those guys to have a Kucherov ascension but some should definitely be experienced locked in middle six wingers. Cullye will be much more seasoned.

Pearrault joins. Hopefully a Chlemar or Rooberak steals a spot. Who knows what BMB or one of the kids they got this year becomes.

Lindgren and Trouba will be out and Mancini and Fortescue in.

And you still have your centers while signing another one on the UFA market. This team has the pieces to be good to very good the remainder of this decade.
Spoiler alert:

Most of these guys aren’t going to pan out. Hopefully 2-3 do.

I’ve been looking at “future lineups” for damn near 20 years now.

Still waiting on future shut down center Steve Fogarty.

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It is quite literally July 1st. There is plenty of time left. Most of the UFA deals were atrocious.
Char_Gallery_CalendarMan_BM_384_C1_60d3985899c5f4.49426673.jpg

Reactions: Atax

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Smith and Carrick for Wheeler and Goodrow doesn't seem like a massive downgrade from last seasons pre TDL team that was firmly in a playoff spot.
Trades do have to me made on D in particular if they are thinking about a long run again though

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Looking at these 6+ million contracts for major term and suddenly Trouba for 2 years doesn’t look so bad. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think he can be moved. It’s just a matter if he wants to work with the Rangers to find a suitable destination or if he makes things difficult and goes on waivers.

I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that this relationship is fractured and Drury made the decision to move on already.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

This franchise has not had a legit 1st line center prospect since Marc Savard and he wasn't even a 1st round pick. They've always been like 2nd line center top-side. Miller buck the trend but he was two teams removed before breaking out. Stepan flirted a bit but was always a 2C. We traded Savard to draft Jamie "Yzerman" Lundmark. What a ffffing practical joke that was. Malhotra was always a 4C. Doug Weight was another 1C we traded but we have the consolation Cup for that one. Dave Gagner was not great for us but almost immediately became a 1C once traded. I have never seen in my life time the Rangers draft a top flight center and successfully develop them or not trade them.

Was praying in 2019 for the Devils to take Kakko #1OA simply because we needed and have always needed a top center on our team.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
This franchise has not had a legit 1st line center prospect since Marc Savard and he wasn't even a 1st round pick. They've always been like 2nd line center top-side. Miller buck the trend but he was two teams removed before breaking out. Stepan flirted a bit but was always a 2C. We traded Savard to draft Jamie "Yzerman" Lundmark. What a ffffing practical joke that was. Malhotra was always a 4C. Doug Weight was another 1C we traded but we have the consolation Cup for that one. Dave Gagner was not great for us but almost immediately became a 1C once traded. I have never seen in my life time the Rangers draft a top flight center and successfully develop them or not trade them.

Was praying in 2019 for the Devils to take Kakko #1OA simply because we needed and have always needed a top center on our team.
That's because the Rangers wait until the 6th round to start considering centers.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
But with a player like Wennberg getting 5m AAV, Duclair getting 4x3.5...

I can tell you- it's only going to get stupider and stupider as the cap starts to accellerate upwards and the league continues to dilute talent by expanding.

This team is going to want cost-controlled assets.
Wasn't Wennberg making a similar amount? That seems like a lot of money for a guy who doesn't score or put up points.

Skinner for 3M was not a better deal than smith for $3.5 and it cost us a 2nd+5th?
That 2nd kills me, but whatever. $3.5 for Smith is better than $5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad