GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Let’s see what happens if/when Trouba gets moved, then we can complain afterwards. I think he’s the major holdup, but that it’s very possible he’s someone’s 2nd or 3rd choice after the smoke clears.

Reactions: n8

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
do you really believe that? Haven't we seen that the cap is completely fake and can be circumvented and manipulated without penalty?

Yes. But the Rangers haven't really done that and play by the book.

And yes I also agree with you that there should have been more effort today. I would have tried to upgrade Lindgren (Walker) and tried to solve the Trouba situtation and sign some sort of replacement.

As is, this team is good but not really good enough to win everything. We haven't really gotten better. However there are still trades to be made and I hope something will happen during the summer.

Reactions: noncents

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I wish Trouba was gone but if Chytil stays healthy and we now have an actual nhl player with 20/93 it's not really all that bad this is probably the best outcome with our cap being what it is Rangers were never going near the top free agents
If you are counting on a full season of Chytil, then I suggest you hang onto that first round pick to replace him at the deadline.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Have no opinion on Carrick but will go with everyone on here that he can be buried if he stinks. I guess 1 million is the new750k with the cap going up?

I like Smith. But when it went down was not happy we gave up yet another 2nd. Was hoping maybe a 3rd or a 4th rounder.
But if he plays like he's capable then its fine.

I know Drury is getting a lot of shit but I would have hated him a lot more if he gave a Stamkos that deal or a Toffoli that deal.
I'm glad he stood firm and refuse to overpay. Smith at 1 year @3.75 is infinitely better than any other top 6 RW signed today. (considering money and term).

Reactions: deathb4disco

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Yeah today is meaningless ultimately. I think today is just a reminder of the spot the team is at defensively and how we feel stuck in this mire of being unable to clear the zone against strong forechecks.

Reactions: NikC

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Trouba to Detroit has to be dead(if it was even real in the first place). Guessing Drury is waiting for dust to settle to see if he has a trading partner. If he doesn’t, he has to waive Trouba anyway before the next buyout period right? Probably won’t have a taker if buyout is imminent.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
People keep mentioning the trade deadline. When was the last time the Rangers got someone at the deadline that was a difference maker?
St Louis? Brassard?

The idea that this team is going to get anything better then like a 2nd pairing defensemen is ludicrous. The deadline wont turn this team into a serious cup contender if they make no moves to upgrade this defense now.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Have no opinion on Carrick but will go with everyone on here that he can be buried if he stinks. I guess 1 million is the new750k with the cap going up?

I like Smith. But when it went down was not happy we gave up yet another 2nd. Was hoping maybe a 3rd or a 4th rounder.
But if he plays like he's capable then its fine.

I know Drury is getting a lot of shit but I would have hated him a lot more if he gave a Stamkos that deal or a Toffoli that deal.
I'm glad he stood firm and refuse to overpay. Smith at 1 year @3.75 is infinitely better than any other top 6 RW signed today. (considering money and term).
Yeah, the prices today were bonkers. Wennberg got $5 million per. That's insane.

Reactions: NikC and bl02

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
No. Retool. Drury's picks are just starting to turn pro.

Not to put you on the spot, but save letting Panarin's contract expire in 2 years, I don't really know what a retool constitutes with this team.

Like or hate Mika in his role but it's not as though we have a future 1st line center in the pipeline. Kreider is now a team legend and while that doesn't forego his being moved on from... you could move Trouba, Panarin, Kreider, Mika... I don't see that as anything other than a full on rebuild unless you're really fortunate and some big time alternative UFA's become available at just the right time, in just the right positions.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Not to put you on the spot, but save letting Panarin's contract expire in 2 years, I don't really know what a retool constitutes with this team.

Like or hate Mika in his role but it's not as though we have a future 1st line center in the pipeline.
In two years well know how Othmann, Berard, Edstrom, Rempe, Sykora all are as pros. I don't expect any of those guys to have a Kucherov ascension but some should definitely be experienced locked in middle six wingers. Cullye will be much more seasoned.

Pearrault joins. Hopefully a Chlemar or Rooberak steals a spot. Who knows what BMB or one of the kids they got this year becomes.

Lindgren and Trouba will be out and Mancini and Fortescue in.

And you still have your centers while signing another one on the UFA market. This team has the pieces to be good to very good the remainder of this decade.

Reactions: Fitzy

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@Oscar Lindberg In all seriousness, if I were the GM of this team, I would

-Trade Trouba and I can't tell you how much I don't care what the return is.

-Put together a package to get Sam Girard and Ross Colton out of Colorado which involves Kakko and Lindgren, and it's hard to say what else because I'm not Colorado.

Kreider-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Panarin-Chytil-Berard
Cuylle-Zibanejad-Colton
Edstrom-Carrick?...I don't care

Miller-Fox
Girard-Schneider
Jones-Somebody

There's one more hole and it's cheating to say "oh, I'd go back and sign Matt Roy" so I'd have to think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad