GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Robertson for Kakko kind of makes sense.
f*** that, he's not going to cost Kakko lol. I don't mind taking a flyer on him, but does that mean we aren't looking for any top-6 players in the free agency or trade market? Because if Robertson doesn't become this amazing top-6 scorer, he's f***ing useless. The Leafs have tried. He's not a bottom-6 player.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
If true, this is ripe!

Its very much the fraternity. The older, more seasoned the Vet the more they stand by their teammates. Its like when you hear the retired player speaking on NHL radio saying things like..."Player X should get $5 mil per with term. He put his time in" Meanwhile player X has been cooked for half a decade. To them...It doesn't matter how much player X may suck. they see it as...how many pucks did that guy eat. How many times did he play through injury.

The Good:
The players have their teammates back.

The Bad:
If guys are speaking out publicly, they aren't drinking the cool aid.

The Ugly:
If guys are speaking out through the beat writers, and names aren't mentioned that means they are uncomfortable from a job security standpoint, and too much of a puss to say what they mean.
NHL players: “I want to get as much money as I can.”

Also NHL players: “I’m mad that the team has to send away my highly priced friends and co-workers to make room to pay my next contract’s ridiculous demands which always insist on setting the top of the market.”

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
On his podcast last week, Vince M said they may be theoretically looking for players who would be interested in taking short term 1-2 year deals because of the money they need to pay Shesty, Laf and Miller next offseason. Given what we know of Shesty's possible raise, and what we could reasonable expect with Miller and Laf -- team may need to find about 15-17 million dollars for raises for all 3. if they don't spend a dime more than last year's cap ceiling and save all the new cap increases between now and next season, that's rough 8-10m to pay for Miller/Laf. They still need find 5-9m. They saved 3.6 with Goody. And if reports are accurate, roughly 5.5 with Trouba, but those guys will need to be replaced. So, keep that in mind. Berard, Othmann, Sykora, Edstrom, Rempe -- the development of these guys into regulars by 2025-6 is crucial or that whole season could feel the Patrick Kane deadline re: depth/cap issues. but it'll be all season.

Even if Trouba's gone this year, Lindgren, Kakko, Chytil and lord knows how else may need to go by end of next year and replaced with ELCs (see above) or 1 year vet deals.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Both Trouba and Goodrow are well respected and hard working vets. These guys are human beings which so many posters here seem to forget. It's not that hard to understand why some guys on the team are upset. It's really not a big deal either. It's not like they are going to request a trade because of it.
I find it strange that for 5+ years now, there's been at least one player each off-season that has a horror story about how NYR treated them, handled something, or about their playtime here. Anderson, Krav, Strome, Zuke, Kakko, now Trouba and Goodrow. Maybe I just don't pay attention when it happens to other teams. Either NYR are truly shit at dealing with these players, or the players just can't handle having to play somewhere else and not being able to have whatever lifestyle in/around NYC.

Trouba is in a slightly different boat for me. He wanted to play in NY for his own and his wife's careers and they established a family here. I can sympathize and understand him being upset and "not trying to rush things along", and understand the stress behind all the logistics they would have to work through if he does get moved from NYR. But if and when it happens, it's gonna be a "Thank you for your service and best of luck" from me.

I understand they're humans. They also get paid millions upon millions to play a sport for a living so forgive me if I'm not terribly sympathetic to the plight of not being able to play with their friends. Hoping them being "upset" is more a "Oh that sucks they won't be here next season, they were a good guy to have around" than them actually internally chastising the FO for the moves they make.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I wonder what Gaudreau would cost us at 50% retained for CBUS.
Almost 5 mil for 5 more years?

A f***ing shitload. Paying that much dead money for that long is not just a huge pain for the salary cap, try to explain that to your owner. You better get something really good in return. I'm talking multiple big pieces.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Vegas shopping Pietrangelo. $8.8M cap hit. Can the Rangers ditch all $8M of Troubas AAV via waivers or otherwise? If so, they could perhaps fit him. Trade package would be meaningful, but that would be a hell of a hockey player to add.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
Almost 5 mil for 5 more years?

A f***ing shitload. Paying that much dead money for that long is not just a huge pain for the salary cap, try to explain that to your owner. You better get something really good in return. I'm talking multiple big pieces.

Gaudreau, Zibs, Kakko

Those 3 names together made my eyes twitch.

If any of you have kids acting up because of a severe sugar rush, I bet if you said to them "Gaudreau, Zibs, Kakko" they'll be under the table fast asleep.

• Haha
Reactions: egelband

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It's absolutely understandable to be a little bummed for your friend. 100%...these guys are human.

But you have to be a killer to win in professional sports. Winning has to come first. You can feel for your buddy who got moved to another team...and then still fish with him in the offseason.

The stuff about Trouba's wife is dumb. The Troubas have every right to make her career a priority. But that doesn't mean anything to the Rangers players or management...and it shouldn't. It's weird to even be talking about it (not that you are, Puck).
And I'm pretty confident the players can separate being upset about losing a friend and their captain and getting back to business next year. So many people are so upset that they dare have emotions about what is playing out.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Vegas shopping Pietrangelo. $8.8M cap hit. Can the Rangers ditch all $8M of Troubas AAV via waivers or otherwise? If so, they could perhaps fit him. Trade package would be meaningful, but that would be a hell of a hockey player to add.
I hope this isn't a serious post? Pietro is so overrated & very unimpressive when you watch him play everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad