Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
need scouts to identify these players. Some teams are better than others

Our pro scouting has not been good, but it's not an everyday situation that a throw in tier pickup takes the next step right away.

Again, the player in question was basically given away twice over a short time span. It would be like if Kastelic scored 30 goals this year and Boston fans acted like it was stupid for the Senators to get rid of him, when no one in their right mind pegged him as a 1st line producer.

I agree that pro scouting is very important, but "find top pairing RHDs for nothing like NJD did!" Isn't a fair or actionable comment. This isn't homerism either, since I feel the same way about the Sens picking up Demelo as a throw in and him becoming a top 4 RHD.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
So...reading that Conroy is looking for a centre got me thinking. If - big IF - one of Halliday or Ostaptchuk showed enough growth this year to be able to fill that 3C role, would anyone consider something around Pinto for Weegar? I don't know that the Flames would jump at that, and ideally I'd like to send Chabot along for the ride and see Zary coming back. How crazy is that?

Brady - Timmy - Claude
Zary - Norris - Batherson
Perron - Halliday/Ostaptchuk - Amadio
Gregor - Halliday/Ostaptchuk/Gaudette - MacEwan

Sanderson - Zub
Weegar - Yakemchuk
Kleven - Jenson
JBD

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
I think you unload Norris for a D while he's playing well and is healthy. His shoulder is still a ticking time-bomb imo.
I'm firmly in that camp, too (even though I agreed we should just see how it plays out for a bit before bringing it up again).

That said, every GM in the league knows the same as us.

• Haha
Reactions: OD99

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That's easier said than done. There were thousands of posts in this thread during the offseason, and I don't think a single person brought up his name as a possible buy-low candidate.

We got lucky that way when Demelo was a throw in for Karlsson, and he blossomed into a top 4 D, but it's not an easy thing to replicate.

If you look at Kovacevic, this is the second time someone took a chance on him. Montreal got him off waivers, then he was traded for a 4th.

The Devils certainly deserve credit for identifying him, but I look at it like us drafting Batherson in the 5th round. There's an element of luck and uncertainty to finding those types of gems at a low cost, it's not something that can be replicated all the time.

I don't know if I said anything about Kovacevic this off-season because I didn't think the Habs would trade him, but I said many times we should have dealt the Jets a mid-late round pick to acquire him back in 2022 when they waived him (much to the disappointment of their fans).

Certainly didn't expect him to have 5 points in 8 games to start this year, but he was a solid bottom pairing guy for a couple years in MTL, is a 6'5 RD that can both defend and move the puck decently well, is only 27, makes about league minimum and has a history of playing in the Ottawa area.

Should have been all over him, just like we should have been all over acquiring Marino from the Pens back in 2022 when the Devils snagged him too.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think you unload Norris for a D while he's playing well and is healthy. His shoulder is still a ticking time-bomb imo.
If you think he’s a ticking time bomb what do you a GM would think that actually has to tell his boss to pay him 7.9 lol.

That’s why I singled out Greig. Sell high option

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
If his shoulder is a ticking time bomb for Ottawa then it's a ticking time bomb for every team. If you're going to trade Norris, then the reason can't be to run away from his shoulder issues, because if it's a problem that Ottawa wants to get away from, then why would any other team want to take that gamble?

It doesn't make much sense to trade Norris. He's our best shooter, he's solid defensively, and he's well-liked in the room. I'm sure his success so far this season has been a big source of energy for the team after seeing what he's gone through the past few years. Trading him in the middle of his return to form would probably massively anger a lot of players in the room.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Maybe pintos the guy to trade. Willa ant a raise. Maybe Greig slides into the 3c role at half the price for the next 5 years after next year.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Slow down and go back and read some posts for context.
It's all dumb.

We finally have all 3 of our C healthy and in the lineup at the same time and we are talking about trading them?!

It's what most of the board have been saying for a couple of years, yet 5 games into the season it's move 1 of them, or our other young C, in Greig.

Madness!

Reactions: Dionysus and Loach

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What is with this idiocy about trading any of our centre depth. Why are people saying this, just stupid.
Well we may not be able to afford all 4.

There are also other ways to get center depth.

Sign a vet who is equally comfortable in both positions for one.

What about our D depth.

Reminder I can’t actually make these trades lol.

It's all dumb.

We finally have all 3 of our C healthy and in the lineup at the same time and we are talking about trading them?!

It's what most of the board have been saying for a couple of years, yet 5 games into the season it's move 1 of them, or our other young C, in Greig.

Madness!
Not necessarily trade them right now.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
I think we try to move Forsberg in a 3 way with a team like CLB with a cheaper backup coming back. Then we have a bit more room to fill holes.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
We finally have centre depth and people want to voluntarily torpedo that...? If we're trading from this purely hypothetical wealth of riches you do it once it becomes clear who should be traded and for what EXACTLY. We aren't ready to go deep, why jump the gun? If Yak makes the team next year and JBD is more than doing his job, what good is Weegar? If Chabot maintains and Ridley is great (on top of everything else) wouldn't you rather be like Florida, Carolina or Dallas and go into the TDL or offseason with no real weaknesses?

And anyone who thinks we're trading Norris is ignoring the distinct possibility that you are selling low on a 75 pt two way 40 goal centreman, the type you can't win cups without. Everyone is thinking of the looking smart angle, but what about the looking really dumb angle? SS would not be sitting where he is if he was the type of guy to roll the dice on 'I told ya so' moves, that type of sh1t is out of the Dorion playbook. People want to return to that kind of news cycle? Absolutely not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad