Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Cool.

You can just agree with GMs all the time and I can see why that works.

Here’s the thing. He was a decent 5 for us last year. That’s it. That’s all
He was a decent bottom pairing D on a horrible team. He will be in Europe next year or sooner. Fearless, competitive and a brilliant guy but not an NHL D.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He was a decent bottom pairing D on a horrible team. He will be in Europe next year or sooner. Fearless, competitive and a brilliant guy but not an NHL D.
if korpisalo made saves we wouldn’t be viewed as so bad. And then he would have been a bottom pairing d man on a competitive team!

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The issue with Korpisalo wasn't that he wasn't very good, it was that he was hysterically bad. It wasn't just a grey area like Talbot, where maybe you could justify that he had a down season because of the team in front of him.

4M is not really starting goalie money. If he was a consistent .900 goalie, he would be fine. The bar wasn't super high.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
if korpisalo made saves we wouldn’t be viewed as so bad. And then he would have been a bottom pairing d man on a competitive team!
He’s way too small to be effective with his skill set. It’s been repeated by myself, @bert and others. Brannstrom in Chychrun’s body would win a Norris.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The issue with Korpisalo wasn't that he wasn't very good, it was that he was hysterically bad. It wasn't just a grey area like Talbot, where maybe you could justify that he had a down season because of the team in front of him.

4M is not really starting goalie money. If he was a consistent .900 goalie, he would be fine. The bar wasn't super high.
Ya the issue wasn't really the salary in a bubble itself. You can't blame the guy for taking the bag being offered to him either. It was more just how bad he was even below reasonable expectations of doubters of his ability, the absurd term for a backup caliber guy coming off an outlier, and expecting him to run with the starting job. He's a backup with erratic play even at that.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Tbh, Dorion taking a chance at Korpi when we REALLY needed a goalie wasn't the craziest thing ever, the issue was giving him FIVE YEARS as a contract.
That's when you have to walk away though. Goalies like him are a dime a dozen.

One thing really struck me where Dorion after the signing said something to the effect of Korpse being the best available option in a tough goalie market. Then there was the hip surgeries talk explaining the outlier "hoping" that it explained the 1 season uptick. It just struck me as even the GM just throwing caution to the wind and hoping for the best, but not having a ton of confidence in what he'd just done.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He’s way too small to be effective with his skill set. It’s been repeated by myself, @bert and others. Brannstrom in Chychrun’s body would win a Norris.
He was effective against whoever he had to play against last year. Was he playing against top forwards? No. But whoever he played against he was effective. He was a fine bottom pairing d man for us, last year.

There’s nothing wrong with admitting that.

We couldn’t give him 2 million and it was time to move on at that price. But last year, he played fine

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He was effective against whoever he had to play against last year. Was he playing against top forwards? No. But whoever he played against he was effective. He was a fine bottom pairing d man for us, last year.

There’s nothing wrong with admitting that.

We couldn’t give him 2 million and it was time to move on at that price. But last year, he played fine
Agree to disagree.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I hope we (fan base) start looking at the here and now and the future more now versus spending so much time talking about Dorion & Korpisalo. We seem to have turned the corner on most everything i.e., new owner, GM, management, players, etc. Sometimes I think the Around the NHL thread needs to be renamed to “Korpisalo”.

Reactions: GCK

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I hope we (fan base) start looking at the here and now and the future more now versus spending so much time talking about Dorion & Korpisalo. We seem to have turned the corner on most everything i.e., new owner, GM, management, players, etc. Sometimes I think the Around the NHL thread needs to be renamed to “Korpisalo”.

We haven’t even played a single game yet and I’m hearing that Staios is the greatest GM in team history and our goaltending problems are over for five years.

I think people are nuts, personally.

Reactions: bicboi64 and Masked

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Tbh, Dorion taking a chance at Korpi when we REALLY needed a goalie wasn't the craziest thing ever, the issue was giving him FIVE YEARS as a contract.

That's what happens when you have a GM on the hot seat. They know it won't be their problem, it will be the next guy's problem. See also, Tarasenko alleged 5x5.5M offer.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
We haven’t even played a single game I’m hearing that Staois is the greatest GM in team history and our goaltending problems are over for five years.

Well, as they say, the proof is in the pudding and we still need to see the results. I think we had other issues besides goaltending last year, yet there is far less emphasis & discussion on those issues. Those other things tend to get drowned out by the Korpisalo focus and talk.

I shall remain optimistic, although I’m still in the observation mode and waiting to see what happens. There is a noticeable anomaly that I’ve noticed in that our biggest problem (goaltending) has been addressed, but predictions from many on how well we’ll do this year are still rather muted and quite low. Maybe that’s more indicative of what people really think, but they are loathe to admit it? Who knows?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We haven’t even played a single game yet and I’m hearing that Staios is the greatest GM in team history and our goaltending problems are over for five years.

I could end up wrong about tending, and will live with my commentary, but I stand by it that he's the only guy brought in since before the rebuild where these expectations are actually reasonable and based on a resume, not fools gold BS like Korpisalo.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well, as they say, the proof is in the pudding and we still need to see the results. I think we had other issues besides goaltending last year, yet there is far less emphasis & discussion on those issues. Those other things tend to get drowned out by the Korpisalo focus and talk.

I shall remain optimistic, although I’m still in the observation mode and waiting to see what happens. There is a noticeable anomaly that I’ve noticed in that our biggest problem (goaltending) has been addressed, but predictions from many on how well we’ll do this year are still rather muted and quite low. Maybe that’s more indicative of what people really think, but they are loathe to admit it? Who knows?
Predictions are muted based on being burned too many times over the last few years. It’s like making predictions that the leafs will win a playoff round. Basically I’ll believe it when I see it

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Predictions are muted based on being burned too many times over the last few years. It’s like making predictions that the leafs will win a playoff round. Basically I’ll believe it when I see it
As you say, there’s a history of Senator fans being burned in the past. That’s understandable.

I’m not sure that’s all it is though. If we believe in all these changes, that goaltending was the big problem, and that our core is good, then we should certainly be able to get into the playoffs as a wild card. And yet predictions are often lower than that from many.

I think many hold the same belief as you’ve stated in your last sentence. Whether they vocalize that belief is perhaps another matter.

Reactions: bicboi64

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As you say, there’s a history of Senator fans being burned in the past. That’s understandable.

I’m not sure that’s all it is though. If we believe in all these changes, that goaltending was the big problem, and that our core is good, then we should certainly be able to get into the playoffs as a wild card. And yet predictions are often lower than that from many.

I think many hold the same belief as you’ve stated in your last sentence. Whether they vocalize that belief is perhaps another matter.

We have a head coach that was run out of town by the fans of all the teams he's coached in the NHL.

Two of our core players have been chronically injured over the past few years.

To date, the younger core players have not necessarily shown the required focus on two-way play that will also be required to improve our overall competitiveness. Meanwhile, Giroux has been admirably battling Father Time to date, but how long does he keep that up?

We have no idea what Perron, Amadio and Gregor can bring to the table now that the games will matter.

We have no idea if Jensen was deemed expendable by the Capitals because his abilities have fallen below a certain threshold due to age.

We don't know how many games Ulmark can actually start and be effective as a #1 goalie.

Question marks abound with this team.

I'm excited to see what this team can do - the off-seasons have been long for us over the past few years.

But I don't think it's going to be an instant transformation, and with the amount of scrutiny on the early season in Ottawa, it could turn very ugly very quickly around here.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
That's what happens when you have a GM on the hot seat. They know it won't be their problem, it will be the next guy's problem. See also, Tarasenko alleged 5x5.5M offer.
It's funny, despite their past failures, Andlauer was willing to give both DJ Smith and Dorion another chance to succeed, but then

A. DJ had ANOTHER terrible start despite a super-soft, mostly at home schedule to begin the season.

B. Dorion made the terrible Korpisalo signing, and the Dadonov trade came back to bite him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad