Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Every GM seems to disagree though, because any team could have had him at 800k and they all passed...
Cool.

You can just agree with GMs all the time and I can see why that works.

Here’s the thing. He was a decent 5 for us last year. That’s it. That’s all

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Cool.

You can just agree with GMs all the time and I can see why that works.

Here’s the thing. He was a decent 5 for us last year. That’s it. That’s all
He was a decent bottom pairing D on a horrible team. He will be in Europe next year or sooner. Fearless, competitive and a brilliant guy but not an NHL D.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He was a decent bottom pairing D on a horrible team. He will be in Europe next year or sooner. Fearless, competitive and a brilliant guy but not an NHL D.
if korpisalo made saves we wouldn’t be viewed as so bad. And then he would have been a bottom pairing d man on a competitive team!

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The issue with Korpisalo wasn't that he wasn't very good, it was that he was hysterically bad. It wasn't just a grey area like Talbot, where maybe you could justify that he had a down season because of the team in front of him.

4M is not really starting goalie money. If he was a consistent .900 goalie, he would be fine. The bar wasn't super high.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
if korpisalo made saves we wouldn’t be viewed as so bad. And then he would have been a bottom pairing d man on a competitive team!
He’s way too small to be effective with his skill set. It’s been repeated by myself, @bert and others. Brannstrom in Chychrun’s body would win a Norris.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The issue with Korpisalo wasn't that he wasn't very good, it was that he was hysterically bad. It wasn't just a grey area like Talbot, where maybe you could justify that he had a down season because of the team in front of him.

4M is not really starting goalie money. If he was a consistent .900 goalie, he would be fine. The bar wasn't super high.
Ya the issue wasn't really the salary in a bubble itself. You can't blame the guy for taking the bag being offered to him either. It was more just how bad he was even below reasonable expectations of doubters of his ability, the absurd term for a backup caliber guy coming off an outlier, and expecting him to run with the starting job. He's a backup with erratic play even at that.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Tbh, Dorion taking a chance at Korpi when we REALLY needed a goalie wasn't the craziest thing ever, the issue was giving him FIVE YEARS as a contract.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Tbh, Dorion taking a chance at Korpi when we REALLY needed a goalie wasn't the craziest thing ever, the issue was giving him FIVE YEARS as a contract.
That's when you have to walk away though. Goalies like him are a dime a dozen.

One thing really struck me where Dorion after the signing said something to the effect of Korpse being the best available option in a tough goalie market. Then there was the hip surgeries talk explaining the outlier "hoping" that it explained the 1 season uptick. It just struck me as even the GM just throwing caution to the wind and hoping for the best, but not having a ton of confidence in what he'd just done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad