Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I hope Giroux accepts a $4 million aav if we offer extra term. He needs to retire a Senator, but we can't make the same mistake the Laffs did with their vets (like Marleau, granted Giroux is more useful than Marleau could ever be on ice)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Now that they trapped Ullmark here, they can waive his best goalie friend Forsberg, without worrying about him spitefully refusing to take 32 million dollars because the team now failed his vibe check.
If Forsberg has the same numbers as last year W/L I think we are a playoff team.

I hope Giroux accepts a $4 million aav if we offer extra term. He needs to retire a Senator, but we can't make the same mistake the Laffs did with their vets (like Marleau, granted Giroux is more useful than Marleau could ever be on ice)
I’m thinking we extend him at 2 x 5M AAV.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Raphael Lavoie is on waivers again after being claimed by Vegas yesterday. Is he worth a claim?

Big guy, shoots right & can score, he would probably fit in Belleville, but unfortunately he is available at a time where Ott & the org in general all of a sudden have a number of RWs, so probably not.
And yet no NHL team wants him on their roster… tells you something up the value of the “expected goals” numbers…
Some just don't understand roles on hockey teams & what is expected in certain positions & depend too much on fancy stats rather than the eye test. It was always obvious he was too small & too soft for the NHl given he was not outstanding offensively. He was easily overpowered & teams would target him & his corner to retrieve pucks.
I'd love to bring him back, but I think the team will ride out Forsbergs contract before making any moves at goal.

~3 mil is a lot of money to pay a guy in the AHL, and while it's a sunk cost, that's still a mental hurdle to overcome.
With Ullmark signed to an extension, I would like to see Staois pull another rabbit out of his hat & move Forsberg but I think we are stuck with him until a team becomes desperate enough to take him du to injuries to their goalies. He is in the last yr of his contract which means he could be available between now & the trade deadline, but I have a hard time thinking someone else will want him given his history here.

I think he ends up in Europe next season. Unfortunately I have lost hope in Sogaard as well & unless he has a fabulous yr in Belleville I assume Staois will be looking for an affordable backup to finish this yr or to play next season. We'll see.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
well if brannstrom sucks so much than it should be no problem for hamonic, kleven and jbd to step up in a top 4 role and drive positive results.

great.

How do you define positive results? Wins?

Because the standard that was set Brannstrom is pretty low. If one of those guys steps into a top 4 role and we lose... that'll be the same thing that happened when Brannstrom had to play up...

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brann is what he is, a small D with no stand out ability who is at the very best average at his best facet of the game

If you have him in your top 4, you are going to be a last place team

No team looking to win is going to want him on their bottom pair

He's an AHL/pressbox guy who lucked out being in Ottawa during a full on rebuild.

He's not fast, not big, not physical, not good defensively, not good offensively, not a PP or PK guy. There is really nothing for a team to want him in the lineup

It's not as though he has a huge contract preventing him from being in the league, the Sens could have legitimately saved capspace by picking Brannstrom up on waivers for free and letting Kleven start in the AHL. That goes for every team in the league. He's just not an NHL player

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

Because the standard that was set Brannstrom is pretty low. If one of those guys steps into a top 4 role and we lose... that'll be the same thing that happened when Brannstrom had to play up...

brannstrom stepping up in chabots role had really no detrimental effect on the pairing and the team. thats positive results.

the pairings were succeeding from the eye test and all the numbers back that up.

but like i said if kleven, hamonic, and jbd can do the same and according to you guys they will do better, than great. we have nothing to worry about because that's great depth.

hopefully we never have to find out though.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He played in the top 4 and the numbers were positive.

He should NOT be a top 4 d full time.

But he was a good 5 here last year. Who could play in the top 4 and have good numbers.

With our structure could we pay him 2 million? Very tough answer is likely no.

Would he be valuable to us at 800k if he played exactly like last year? Yes.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
He played in the top 4 and the numbers were positive.

He should NOT be a top 4 d full time.

But he was a good 5 here last year. Who could play in the top 4 and have good numbers.

With our structure could we pay him 2 million? Very tough answer is likely no.

Would he be valuable to us at 800k if he played exactly like last year? Yes.

Every GM seems to disagree though, because any team could have had him at 800k and they all passed...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brannstrom is probably underrated as a D. He's not someone who want playing come playoff time, but he's generally solid enough that he'll help you get there more than a bigger, tougher, dumber defenseman would in comparison.

There are regular season players and playoff players. He's definitely a regular season guy and teams tend to shy away from guys like him.

Personally I think it's a little silly because there's a number of teams out there who will play worse D all season because they are better fits for the post-season, ignoring that unless they maximize their chance at the playoffs they probably won't make it to the dance anyways.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'd go as high as 5, maybe 2yr -10M

Reactions: BigRig4

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Staois seems to have addressed most of the areas of weakness on this team with the exception of Forsberg who I assume he was unable to move. I expect they might try & move him again leading up to the trade deadline unless he gets off to a great start & can stay consistent all yr which he has yet to do during his time here. An affordable backup is required unless Sogaard improves dramatically over this season, although he too has been very inconsistent.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Only thing that scares me going into the season, is our bottom pairing D. I like Kleven a lot and think he has a bright future but pairing him with JBD and/or Hamonic could be hard to watch most nights. I wish we could have gotten a veteran 5-6 dman to play with him. An upgrade over JBD/Hamonic

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Can someone confirm if the trading of joseph finally ends the long tail of the sens first ever draft pick?

Yashin -> Spezza -> paul -> joseph

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad