Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don’t know what I did to offend you lol. You said yakemchuk. I said I doubt he’s available. It has to be our first cuz that’s what we have left to deal

It is way too convoluted to give up a 1st when we already owe the league one in the next two years.

I think it's safe to assume McGroarty is not getting a 1st otherwise the Jets would have dealt him at the draft if one was on table.

Reactions: DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It is way too convoluted to give up a 1st when we already owe the league one in the next two years.

I think it's safe to assume McGroarty is not getting a 1st otherwise the Jets would have dealt him at the draft if one was on table.
Yeah. And if they’re not taking the first or not getting firsts. What else do we have that’s valuable? SOA says yakemchuk. Not sure we move that.

We don’t have second tier pieces. We have two nice pieces (the first and yakemchuk) and then like nothing.

Reactions: Duncstar

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Yeah. And if they’re not taking the first or not getting firsts. What else do we have that’s valuable? SOA says yakemchuk. Not sure we move that.

We don’t have second tier pieces. We have two nice pieces (the first and yakemchuk) and then like nothing.

They are not trading Yakemchuk for McGroarty. If they were willing to do that, they would have traded 7OA on draft day and Winnipeg would have been overjoyed.

This thread is becoming an exercise in negotiating against ourselves.

Appreciate the support.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Sounds like that McGroaty kid wants a guaranteed spot on an NHL roster. That alone should be reason NOT to make a trade for him. Earn the spot, or gtfo. You don't gift spots in the top league (of any sport) in the world.

Generally I’d agree but with guys like Gaudette and MacEwen having solid shots of making this team I’m not convinced it will be that hard for him to win a spot.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

We don't have any great pieces, but the point is that I don't think McGroarty is going to go for a 1st. If we're setting the bar at nobody is giving up a 1st, then Ostapchuk and a 2nd makes sense.

What might be happening is that Winnipeg does not want to let McGroarty talk to teams, but teams do not want to give up A-level assets for a player who could refuse to sign with them. At the same time, if it turns out McGroarty will only sign with a few or one teams, he will be even more difficult to trade. Look at what Fox went for relative to his stature at the time (high 2nd+3rd).

The 2nd they get in compensation for McGroarty is years in the future. If they get an upcoming 2nd and a B prospect who might play for them, that's better than a 2nd multiple years down the line.

I could be completely off, and he could be a hot trade piece. I just find it suspicious that he wasn't moved at the draft, which would have been the best time to get top value when a whole bunch of picks were potentially available. The fact that this has dragged on makes it seem like Winnipeg has not been able to create the market they needed.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Sounds like that McGroaty kid wants a guaranteed spot on an NHL roster. That alone should be reason NOT to make a trade for him. Earn the spot, or gtfo. You don't gift spots in the top league (of any sport) in the world.
I agree. This has pre madonna and selfish kid who will eventually become a young adult. These attitudes do not really change. They will most likely manifest into an adult who has a bigger head than the rest of the locker room. Like Chychrun, Zadorov etc. This kid will hold us ransom at some point if he comes to Ottawa. No thanks

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Generally I’d agree but with guys like Gaudette and MacEwen having solid shots of making this team I’m not convinced it will be that hard for him to win a spot.

Sure, we're very thin when it comes to depth, but if he's trying to leave Winnipeg because he doesn't want to earn his spot on a team with more depth, then how much competitive fire does he really have? You would think a guy who wants to win and become a star in the league would want to be on a stronger team and earn a place on it.

Now I don't know this kid and haven't followed what's going on over there too closely, so there might be something else going on with him. I don't know. But if it is wanting something beyond the typical 7-9 games (whatever the number is now they do) at the beginning of the season...that's a problem.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Maybe the kid just hates Winnipeg and is using that and an excuse?
I think there’s likely some real differences of opinion and conflict there, but you do have to wonder if the same situation had occurred and he was a Florida Panther if there would be a greater attempt and desire on his part to resolve it. I think there might be which would give me pause in acquiring him for any sort of hefty price.

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
I agree. This has pre madonna and selfish kid who will eventually become a young adult. These attitudes do not really change. They will most likely manifest into an adult who has a bigger head than the rest of the locker room. Like Chychrun, Zadorov etc. This kid will hold us ransom at some point if he comes to Ottawa. No thanks
In the words of Jamie Tartt “who the f*** says pre Madonna? It’s prima Donna”

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I starting to wonder if they just roll with what we got ?

They may wanna save whatever space we have for deadline moves if needed.
The cap $$$ available are not enough to sign a mid-range player. We have only $3.6M available and need to sign 2 Fs and 1 D to get to 13F and 7D, plus have some $$$ available for callus for injuries. I think we go with the roster we have now and use 2 Fs and 1D from Belleville to bring the roster up to 22 players.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad