2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Zaitsev back in Russia.
woman-yelling.gif

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Cuz Torts can bring out Boucher's inner beast and Briere thinks he can't move anyone else on the roster to make capspace for Zamula

They'll have plenty of cap space when Ellis is put on the LTIR.

If they trade Zamula it'll be because they have 12 forwards and 7 defensemen on 1 way contracts + Michkov and Forester, which gives them a full roster.

Maraz

Jan 25, 2015
Guys I would like to know your opinion on some of the remaining UFAs that are either past their prime, had down year or dealt with some other off-ice issues (except Cousins) but are still interesting and can be signed for cheap.

Cousins - 31, C/LW, 69-7-8-15
Labanc - 28, RW, 46-2-7-9
Blais - 28, LW, 53-1-6-7
JvR - 35, LW, 71-11-27-38
Pitlick - 27, C/RW, 27-14-19-33 (AHL)

Ruhwedel - 34, RD, 52-1-3-4
Kylington - 27, LD, 33-3-5-8
Scandella - 34, LD, 65-2-6-8
Shattenkirk - 35, RD, 61-6-18-24
Addison - 24, RD, 72-1-16-17
Zboril - 27, LD, 46-0-13-13 (AHL)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Still hoping we can bring in Nick Cousins and a another d man for the bottom pair

I'm not hoping. It's a necessity. At least if Ottawa wants to make the playoffs.

Kleven-JBD might not make some AHL team's top pair. They're not fit enough to be a regular bottom pair. We need someone experienced.

And that 4th line is atrocious. The NHL is about depth. We need it in spades and it starts with minimum another 4th line (on the higher end like Cousins) and a another bottom pair (on the higher end like Shatty).

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Guys I would like to know your opinion on some of the remaining UFAs that are either past their prime, had down year or dealt with some other off-ice issues (except Cousins) but are still interesting and can be signed for cheap.

Cousins - 31, C/LW, 69-7-8-15
Labanc - 28, RW, 46-2-7-9
Blais - 28, LW, 53-1-6-7
JvR - 35, LW, 71-11-27-38
Pitlick - 27, C/RW, 27-14-19-33 (AHL)

Ruhwedel - 34, RD, 52-1-3-4
Kylington - 27, LD, 33-3-5-8
Scandella - 34, LD, 65-2-6-8
Shattenkirk - 35, RD, 61-6-18-24
Addison - 24, RD, 72-1-16-17
Zboril - 27, LD, 46-0-13-13 (AHL)
Can Shattenkirk still play? Hasn’t really been on my radar the past few years.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They'll have plenty of cap space when Ellis is put on the LTIR.

If they trade Zamula it'll be because they have 12 forwards and 7 defensemen on 1 way contracts + Michkov and Forester, which gives them a full roster.
Your right. When they put Ellis on LTIR, I believe (cursory glance at CapFriendly) they’ll have about $7 m of cap space and 21 players under contract. I doubt the Flyers would consider Zamula for Boucher. That seems like yet another far fetched dream scenario.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I'm not hoping. It's a necessity. At least if Ottawa wants to make the playoffs.

Kleven-JBD might not make some AHL team's top pair. They're not fit enough to be a regular bottom pair. We need someone experienced.

And that 4th line is atrocious. The NHL is about depth. We need it in spades and it starts with minimum another 4th line (on the higher end like Cousins) and a another bottom pair (on the higher end like Shatty).

At this point, I'm expecting them to go with a veteran defenceman on a camp PTO, rather than signing a veteran to a contract. We already have one veteran anchor (Hamonic) we can't move, and I doubt they want to risk having another on a guaranteed contract.

My expectation is it'll be a camp battle for the 3rd RHD spot, with JBD, Hamonic, Guenette, Matinpolo and a veteran PTO in the mix. Of that group, I'm most curious to see how Matinpolo looks. He and Kleven were paired together last year, they led Belleville in plus-minus, and he brings good size and mobility.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Other teams are still sorting out their roster and cap.

I could see us getting a castoff that way. Maybe we have a target or two and we are waiting on a domino.

People think the Joseph trade was for Pinto, but we had the money for Pinto. I think it was to clear some cap so that we could acquire a D.

We legitimately do not have a #5 or #6 NHL defenseman. Kleven is still a tweener until proven otherwise, then we have a glut of players like JBD and Harmonic who are find as 7th-8th depth options, as in you don't want to see them play but if there are 2+ injuries you're happy to have JBD there.

We need another D.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I could see us getting a castoff that way. Maybe we have a target or two and we are waiting on a domino.

People think the Joseph trade was for Pinto, but we had the money for Pinto. I think it was to clear some cap so that we could acquire a D.

We legitimately do not have a #5 or #6 NHL defenseman. Kleven is still a tweener until proven otherwise, then we have a glut of players like JBD and Harmonic who are find as 7th-8th depth options, as in you don't want to see them play but if there are 2+ injuries you're happy to have JBD there.

We need another D.

We're also going to be pretty early on the waiver claim wire to start the season. Maybe Staios will wait to see if something shakes loose there.

Reactions: DrEasy

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Recreated the PIZZA line and placing his order?
I'll bet his phone has been pretty busy these last weeks.

PS Thanks for your comments and vids from Camp. Keep us in the loop.

Reactions: Bileur

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
We're also going to be pretty early on the waiver claim wire to start the season. Maybe Staios will wait to see if something shakes loose there.

That's true, but I don't think you can really depend on that for anything other than patch work. Like how the Ducks claimed Lassi from us because they had injuries.

I think they need a legitimate veteran #5 D who is a known quantity and ideally on an expiring contract. It's not going to be a David Savard or an option people are super excited about.

Ideally, they would add two veteran defenseman to get depth and force Kleven or whoever else to have to fight for their spot.

If Edmonton is willing to bundle a pick to dump Ceci, maybe we could do a deal where we send that pick to a 3rd party for some retention. Pittsburgh is a team who wants to accrue picks to re-tool with. Something like Edmonton sends Ceci+3rd to Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh retains on Ceci and sends him to us for JBD.

"Pierre, for the last time, you're not supposed to be at dev camp."

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil and Loach

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

We need another D.

I think we may need to wait until after training camp and hit up the waiver wire. Not much left out there.

Not sure why we didn't sign Fleury for some cheap depth. Was decent in Tampa in a limited role, has spent time playing both sides, and didn't even get a 1-way contract.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad