Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well, the original claim was Boston addressed it's deficiency with a high end option. It's deficiency was no number 1 Center. I don't think they really filled that, they got another number 2 center imo,

The problem is while this increases their depth, they haven't added a game breaking dynamic that you want out of your top line. He's a good fit for the way boston plays though, so I think they can make that work, but I'm unsure how much it will move the needle for them.

When you bump Zacha or Coyle down a line, you aren't likely to continue getting 60 pts out of them. They've essentially improved the 3rd line while perhaps marginally improving the top 6. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.
OK, but what is the bottom line or conclusion which is what “I thought” was the objective? Do they sink in the standings? Will they be out of the playoffs? Will they finish ahead of Ottawa?

Imo, the Bruins once again did fairly well last year both in regular and probably a bit better than I expected in the playoffs. They beat the Leafs which was sweet. Their top 2 centers did better than I expected. So, if there’s some improvement at center, I’m just a little nervous that we’ll write them off yet again but they will still be a playoff team ultimately.

I guess the first objective or bar that we need to get over is making the playoffs, so I guess I’m just aligning all of this off season detail that one basic over arching objective.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Its actually f***ing hilarious that the usual negative nancys on Twitter are very level headed about the moves and more positive than some here.

I mean, Staios set expectations pretty well, the only complaint I have is we acquired a RHD via trade instead of UFA and that meant losing some of the potential value we could have gotten for Chychrun,

Overall, we addressed pretty much all of our needs with the type of guys we said we would target.

I'm a little sour that Toronto picked up two D that I wanted from UFA, but c'est la vie.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
It’s pretty clear we need upgrade on Hamonic but I have no idea who to event target anymore, anybody have ideas on who to target?

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I mean, Staios set expectations pretty well, the only complaint I have is we acquired a RHD via trade instead of UFA and that meant losing some of the potential value we could have gotten for Chychrun,

Overall, we addressed pretty much all of our needs with the type of guys we said we would target.

I'm a little sour that Toronto picked up two D that I wanted from UFA, but c'est la vie.

Steve Simmons reported this morning that Hakanpaa may never play again.

The Leafs signed him to play but many doubt he will. It’s said to be bone-on-bone with not much knee left. It’s said to be trouble. Two years ago, Hakanpaa was playing 18 minutes for the Stars. He might have played his last NHL game in March. If he plays again, plays at all for the Leafs, it will shock those who were around in recent seasons.

So that's interesting, because I also thought he'd be a good fit here.

I wonder if that contract ends up actually being finalized post-physical.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
OK, but what is the bottom line or conclusion which is what “I thought” was the objective? Do they sink in the standings? Will they be out of the playoffs? Will they finish ahead of Ottawa?

Imo, the Bruins once again did fairly well last year both in regular and probably a bit better than I expected in the playoffs. They beat the Leafs which was sweet. Their top 2 centers did better than I expected. So, if there’s some improvement at center, I’m just a little nervous that we’ll write them off yet again but they will still be a playoff team ultimately.

I guess the first objective or bar that we need to get over is making the playoffs, so I guess I’m just aligning all of this off season detail that one basic over arching objective.
It sort of is, though.

Boston improved, but not by as much as some imo make it out to be. They failed in acquiring a #1 center to address their biggest need, but did get a very solid backup plan. I see that as similar to us failing to acquire a coveted top 4 RHD, but landing a solid backup option in Jensen (obviously Lindholm is better than Jensen but relative to the target). On the flip side, we absolutely made a massive upgrade on our biggest weakness (goaltending).

Boston was a playoff team, and I expect them to continue to be a playoff team, so I don't know why we'd right them off, but I actually am far more worried about the improvements NJD and Was made, those are the teams we are competing with for the wild card spots, not Toronto, TBL and Boston.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
It’s pretty clear we need upgrade on Hamonic but I have no idea who to event target anymore, anybody have ideas on who to target?

I could see them bringing in a veteran on a PTO and letting JBD, Hamonic, Guenette, Matinpolo and that veteran PTO fight it out for that third pairing spot.

It's easier to live with that kind of uncertainty when your top two pairs are, at least in theory, pretty solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hamonic's role is sitting in the pressbox eating nachos and in very rare cases suiting up when JBD eats some bad clams for his pregame meal. When we get an injury, we'll call up Guenette or Mantipalo and hopefully play them.

JBD is the one we should be interested in upgrading, Hamonic's role is to make sure we don't need to have a guy who is still developing stuck in the pressbox getting fat on nachos when they should be playing 20+ mins a night in belleville.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Cause goalies aren't worth much and trading a top 4 D and a 1st rounder would have been poor value for 1 year of Ullmark

I get people want to shit on Chychrun on his way out the door but he is a legit top 4 defensemen in the league and Washington is going to use him as their first option offensively

Not a chance that Chych is their first option over John Carlson. I think he'll fit nicely with their group but Carlson is superior to Chychrun at everything offensive (and defensive for that matter).

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
It sort of is, though.

Boston improved, but not by as much as some imo make it out to be. They failed in acquiring a #1 center to address their biggest need, but did get a very solid backup plan. I see that as similar to us failing to acquire a coveted top 4 RHD, but landing a solid backup option in Jensen (obviously Lindholm is better than Jensen but relative to the target). On the flip side, we absolutely made a massive upgrade on our biggest weakness (goaltending).

Boston was a playoff team, and I expect them to continue to be a playoff team, so I don't know why we'd right them off, but I actually am far more worried about the improvements NJD and Was made, those are the teams we are competing with for the wild card spots, not Toronto, TBL and Boston.

Luckily I think NJD will be safely in the top 3 of the Metro. Barring injuries or something unforseen (i.e. the Leafs goaltending falling apart), these 7 are pretty safe bets to be in the playoffs: Carolina, NYR, NJ, Florida, Boston, Toronto, Tampa.

So for the wild card, we'll be up against NYI, Detroit, Washington and Pittsburgh.

I think we have as good a shot as any of them.

The unfortunate part is it really looks like there's only 1 spot available.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It sort of is, though.

The playoffs seem to be a few years away for Ottawa.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Luckily I think NJD will be safely in the top 3 of the Metro. Barring injuries or something unforseen (i.e. the Leafs goaltending falling apart), these 7 are pretty safe bets to be in the playoffs: Carolina, NYR, NJ, Florida, Boston, Toronto, Tampa.

So for the wild card, we'll be up against NYI, Detroit, Washington and Pittsburgh.

Bobrovsky another year older, losing key pieces to free agency with no ready replacements coming.

The bottom may fall out pretty quickly for Florida.

We'll see.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I’m not giving Tampa the nod yet, they’re battling like the rest for a WC spot.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Not a chance that Chych is their first option over John Carlson. I think he'll fit nicely with their group but Carlson is superior to Chychrun at everything offensive (and defensive for that matter).
There is a very good chance that Chych will take that spot with Carlson slowing down

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

I like Schmidt and Shattenkirk, but probably too expensive to fit under our cap.

An interesting name to take a gamble on would be Kylington. He was on the verge of breaking out a couple of seasons ago. If he's healthy there could be something there still, and he plays both sides.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I’m not giving Tampa the nod yet, they’re battling like the rest for a WC spot.

A full year with a healthy Vasilevskyi gives them a pretty solid floor. They won't have a Jonas Johansson/Matt Tomkins duo in net for 30+ games this season putting up worse numbers than Korpisalo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bobrovsky another year older, losing key pieces to free agency with no ready replacements coming.

The bottom may fall out pretty quickly for Florida.

We'll see.

That D group looks pretty suspect imo, losing Montour and OEL without a clear replacement...

They have 7 mil in cap space but need to sign Lundell.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
They never needed to go big game hunting .. re DeBrincat and Chychrun... is the reference
Not sure .. cool

Listening to CIH yesterday I think he legitimately likes the moves and I don't think he forms his opinion because his Brother has a small piece of the team
Yorkie has usually had rose coloured tints when talking about the sens especially since the ownership change. He was defending DJ for a long long time then jumped on the Martin bandwagon the second the new ownership canned DJ.

I guess everyone has their bias but his brother being part owner obviously plays a part.

Yorkie was on the sens need size train though

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
There is a very good chance that Chych will take that spot with Carlson slowing down

A slowing down Carlson put up 52 points last year on a low-scoring team. More than Chychrun has ever put up in his entire career.

The problem with Chychrun is that this is a league where offensive defenseman are now putting up 60+ points a season, and the elite guys are at ~80. With those numbers, teams will look away from some defensive deficiencies.

But you can't be a 40 point guy while ignoring your own end.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
jet!!!!!

I was being factitious.

Jason York was once in local media and then national media. He should not be part oft the propaganda tool.

Shame on him. He should be embarrassed of this tweet.. he made BooBoo seem credible.
Unfortunately for you, it didn’t come across as facetious.
Rarely does in a text format.

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
Hm Nick Cousins still free, why we are not trying, cost will be maximum 1-1.5

Czarnik also can try low cost, and our boy Colin White also, if hi is alive

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Some teams will get better, while others will get worse. Ultimately, it's still really difficult for 9/10 teams to make the playoffs because there are only 16 spots in a 32 team league. Even if Boston is worse and New Jersey is better, or Florida is worse and the Islanders are better, the challenge is still the same.

Outside of maybe 6-8 contenders spread across the league, no one team is guaranteed a playoff spot. There is also so much volatility and luck. I don't think we are anywhere near close to the point where we have built a legitimate contender.

Look at it this way, the perception is that we have stunk the last few years but 2 years ago had we beaten the Panthers in game 79, and made up a random 4 points in the season, we would have made the playoffs. Isn't the absurd?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
A full year with a healthy Vasilevskyi gives them a pretty solid floor. They won't have a Jonas Johansson/Matt Tomkins duo in net for 30+ games this season putting up worse numbers than Korpisalo.
Yep and Ottawa has Ullmark now, not Korpisalo, TB is still a bubible team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chych may work in Washington because Carlsson is a right D.

He's able to slot with him, or on the 3rd pairin, will see what Washington thinks with regards to Sandin/Chychrun

Fehevery is manning their 2nd unit and taking their tough matchups, there wasn't a role or room for Chych to anchor his own pair unless it's the 3rd.

Chychrun is still the #2 PP guy and not a PK guy, but he has/may have a spot on the first pair with Carlsson

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Yep and Ottawa has Ullmark now, not Korpisalo, TB is still a bubible team.

Yeah, I disagree. TB was 7 points clear of a wildcard spot last year despite getting shit goaltending for 32 games and if you move past the sentimental stuff, Guentzel over Stamkos is an improvement, especially at 5v5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad