GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Is this the most boring off season the Pens have had in years? Feels like it is. Just nothing exciting at all.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. But oof
Good thing considering how the last couple July's have went for the Pens. Looking back its crazy how bad the last few offseasons were:

2023: Sign Graves, Jarry and Acciari
2022: Dump Matheson and Marino for nothing
2021: Lose Tanev, Mccann and Gadreau for nothing
2020: Trade a 1st for Kapanen

Its just been one mistake after another across 3 different Gms

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Good thing considering how the last couple July's have went for the Pens. Looking back its crazy how bad the last few offseasons were:

Easy to see why this is all somehow the core's fault, eh?

But yeah... putting aside my jackassery for a moment.. that's a friggin murderer's row of horrible decisions.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I feel this season will be better for Karlsson as well… I think he was constantly looking at the big 3 to deviate to instead of doing what he’s done his entire career where he’d go eff it I’ll do it myself.

1720114753572.png

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
Yeah, it's totally rad to acquire Kevin Hayes and 2nd round picks while also trading our best trade asset for Michael Bunting within the last few months.

Great direction...

Well you see. Zegras is 23, so if we trade for him it helps us with the rebuild, because of reas
So you'd rather let Guentzel walk for nothing? That makes no sense. Maybe we could have traded guentzel for granlund like your favorite GM did :help:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

It's funny that we say signing Graves and Acciari is bad, but then we are crying about losing Marino and Tanev who are just Graves and Acciari.

So you'd rather let Guentzel walk for nothing? That makes no sense. Maybe we could have traded guentzel for granlund like your favorite GM did :help:

We could've traded Guentzel for a 1st and a good prospect instead of a bunch of crap.

That's what rebuilding teams do.

See Calgary, Philadelphia, the Rangers, etc.

Instead we took a stupid half in / half out approach and got a 2nd and a roster player and some mid prospects.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
In spite of the coaching yes lol whether that leads to teams success or padding his trade value is to be determined. I don’t think he ever looked comfortable last season.

I don't think he ever looked comfortable last season because he was being directed by a buncha doofs. That didn't change. Hell they added a NEW doof.

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
We could've traded Guentzel for a 1st and a good prospect instead of a bunch of crap.

That's what rebuilding teams do.

See Calgary, Philadelphia, the Rangers, etc.

Instead we took a stupid half in / half out approach and got a 2nd and a roster player and some mid prospects.
Didn't realize you have the inside track of what was being offered.

Reactions: Rave7215

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, but he won a Norris under David Quinn when the entire Sharks system was "get EK65 the puck".

That's surely happening here next season right?

Yes. Surely they will center their gameplan around one of the like two guys they tried shoving all the blame off to for last season's failures.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Is this the most boring off season the Pens have had in years? Feels like it is. Just nothing exciting at all.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. But oof
EK trade last year happened much later.

Graves and Jarry and plugs were signed in 2023.
Not much excitement there

I've been told this is very cool and very necessary so I'm just basking in the warm glow of "the rebuild."

...until the team dishes a first for Zegras or something in a few days and you guys all change your mind again.

Not looking forward to the pain. I think more could have been done and it's possible more will be done as EK was a month later.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If the rumor was true the Rangers were offering Othmann+ for Jake, Dubas should've bit the bullet and sent him there tbh. I dunno if that rumor was true, but I'm not really interested in anything we got from Carolina. Maybe Koivunen, but that's about it, and barely so. Pono seems whatever from what I've read. Bunting's a roster spot. Lucius is a nobody.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
If the rumor was true the Rangers were offering Othmann+ for Jake, Dubas should've bit the bullet and sent him there tbh. I dunno if that rumor was true, but I'm not really interested in anything we got from Carolina. Maybe Koivunen, but that's about it, and barely so. Pono seems whatever from what I've read. Bunting's a roster spot. Lucius is a nobody.

Pono will be the piece that pushes the tade to "good" if he can develop into the player he projects to.

I trust Carolina at drafting those types of players too given they were the ones that grabbed Nic Roy and Luostrainen who have been great dual C/W bottom six wingers on two seperate teams.

I don't trust Carolina's evolution of "elite" talent at all. They haven't had a single forward in that regard develop outside of big time 1st round picks and Aho.

I definitely assumed a 1st rounder was coming back in a potential Guentzel trade last deadline as well.

1720116005723.png

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I give you max credit for saying this after being so bullish about that "haul" only for Dubas to get what he got... not being sarcastic. Trading Jake was absolutely necessary and thank goodness the team at least realized that. The return was pretty whatever, though. I guess the hope there is to have enough shit to throw at the wall that something sticks. Maybe that turns out to not be the worst plan but at least on first blush rather underwhelming.

I'm just glad we gave away the absolutely incredible acquisition of Reilly Smith to a divisional rival for a 2027 pick.

That's how you rebuild, baby!

I take your point but I won't miss Smith at all haha

Although according to Kyle we should all be sad and think of what could have been with him were it not for that dastardly Evgeni Malkin messing up his whole season. He definitely made him dog it all year with his evil Russian mind powers.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Not sure I buy the rumor.

Dubas should have really harassed the Rangers to up their offering for Jake though. Imo if the Rangers had acquired Jake they might be the Cup champs right now. He legit could have pushed them over the edge.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Not sure I buy the rumor.

Dubas should have really harassed the Rangers to up their offering for Jake though. Imo if the Rangers had acquired Jake they might be the Cup champs right now. He legit could have pushed them over the edge.

I'm not sure I buy the idea that Dubas didn't hear "Michael Bunting" and immediately get JR vision.

Although according to Kyle we should all be sad and think of what could have been with him were it not for that dastardly Evgeni Malkin messing up his whole season. He definitely made him dog it all year with his evil Russian mind powers.

We all know Reilly Smith is going to put up 25goals + 35 assists or something with the Rangers and then fans will be like "yeah, but they have good players" while simultaneously saying the only reason Granlund is producing is "because he is on a bad team".

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm not sure I buy the idea that Dubas didn't hear "Michael Bunting" and immediately get JR vision.
I honestly don't object to taking a cap dump back in a Jake deal and to make the dollars work.

Doing that should have sweetened the return for Dubas though. And it didn't.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I honestly don't object to taking a cap dump back in a Jake deal and to make the dollars work.

Doing that should have sweetened the return for Dubas though. And it didn't.
Bunting was legit good here. I don't know if we should just be assuming he'll be ass next year. And we have to give the prospects some time. If none of them are getting NHL time by next season, it's probably not a good trade, but as of now we got a legit NHL player and 3 lottery tickets. If one of them hits as a top-9 NHL forward, I don't see how that's not a good trade for an expiring contract at the deadline (and, don't forget, Jake didn't even re-sign with the Canes)

edit: I'm more upset that we simply didn't offer Jake 7x9 to make it a victimless crime

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I give you max credit for saying this after being so bullish about that "haul" only for Dubas to get what he got... not being sarcastic. Trading Jake was absolutely necessary and thank goodness the team at least realized that. The return was pretty whatever, though. I guess the hope there is to have enough shit to throw at the wall that something sticks. Maybe that turns out to not be the worst plan but at least on first blush rather underwhelming.

Yeah I think as far as picks outside of top-10 and prospects go, getting quantity is the play, so I don't hate landing that kinda stuff in bulk but I'm really not impressed at first glance by any of the guys coming back. Oh well. Apparently Jake decided last summer after he declined the Pens' offer that he was done negotiating with anyone until FA and that just cratered his value.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Bunting was legit good here. I don't know if we should just be assuming he'll be ass next year. And we have to give the prospects some time. If none of them are getting NHL time by next season, it's probably not a good trade, but as of now we got a legit NHL player and 3 lottery tickets. If one of them hits as a top-9 NHL forward, I don't see how that's not a good trade for an expiring contract at the deadline (and, don't forget, Jake didn't even re-sign with the Canes)

edit: I'm more upset that we simply didn't offer Jake 7x9 to make it a victimless crime

As we saw with Carolina they turned that 1st into two 2nds.

Smart teams do smart things.

Like give up nothing for Jake Guentzel and then recoup a 3rd for his rights.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I think as far as picks outside of top-10 and prospects go, getting quantity is the play, so I don't hate landing that kinda stuff in bulk but I'm really not impressed at first glance by any of the guys coming back. Oh well. Apparently Jake decided last summer after he declined the Pens' offer that he was done negotiating with anyone until FA and that just cratered his value.

I never bought into the "haul" idea one way or the other since he was a rental. But it woulda been cool to score one of their top five prospects or a first, at least. I want to be excited about Bunting next season but I dunno... he seems like the kinda player we've seen here before that comes in with a bang and then follows it up with a big, swampy, extended wet fart. I'll be very happy to be wrong on that front though as a late-season Bunting extrapolated over the course of all next year would make things a lot more watchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad