Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
At minimum I think it's safe to assume he's a 40g-40a guy on Tampa's top line, at worst a Stamkos replacement playing with Kucherov and Point; their right side is definitely an issue, but they improved their left side by a gigantic margin. They went from:

Hedman
34 games of Sergachev
de Haan/Fleury
Lilliberg

to

Hedman
McD/Moser
McD/Moser

That's a gigantic improvement
We shall see. I’m not sold.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think our goaltending and Boston’s centre positions were the worst deficiencies and both were addressed with high end replacements. Toronto shook up their D and it looks pretty good but I’ll need to see them under a new coach. I like Stolarz but can he play 50 games ?

I think Tampa has a worse roster than last year but a Vasi bounce back season should make up for that.
Lindholm hasn't been great the last two seasons, I wonder if he'll bounce back in Boston. Pasta is great, but he was with Gaudreau and Tkachuk the last time he put up big numbers.

I still think he's a good player, and a great fit for Boston, but I never really felt he was a true #1 center.

Reactions: BigRig4

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’d like to see a more vet option as Klevens partner on the 3rd pairing.

JBD should be our 7th D
Not likely to happen, imo.

We are up against the cap as it is, I guess we could look to sign a vet on a cheap deal, but if we do that it will be at the expense of having JBD at all rather than push him to 7th D, we can't afford to keep 8 D and Hamonic is here till that contract expires.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I was replying to someone saying we were like, a LOT better defensively with Jensen. I think that's an overstatement. No need to invent anything.

Keep being a little shit though!
No need, seems like you have plenty of people taking you to task as is

Btw, werent you crying about “name-calling” like… a page ago? Come on, man. Have a little conviction.

Reactions: GCK and Masked

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Not likely to happen, imo.

We are up against the cap as it is, I guess we could look to sign a vet on a cheap deal, but if we do that it will be at the expense of having JBD at all rather than push him to 7th D, we can't afford to keep 8 D and Hamonic is here till that contract expires.
People talk about trading Joseph to fit Pinto… doesnt seem at all necessary to me. The scenario you are responding to - that of upgrading on JBD.. that would require a Joseph trade.

Makes a lot more sense to me after adding Amadio + Perron, although I personally wouldnt have added Perron at that $ figure, especially if it means trading Jo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
People talk about trading Joseph to fit Pinto… doesnt seem at all necessary to me. The scenario you are responding to - that of upgrading on JBD.. that would require a Joseph trade.

Makes a lot more sense to me after adding Amadio + Perron, although I personally wouldnt have added Perron at that $ figure, especially if it means trading Jo

I crunched the numbers and with a 21 man roster (Hamonic as the 7th D) we can pay Pinto 3.4 mil and be cap compliant, which seems feasible as a bridge.

If we want to give him term, Joseph would have to be traded (Forsberg would work as an alternative)

Upgrading JBD has a lot of variables;

If we are dumping JBD, it becomes cost of signing a guy minus 805k.
So for example, had we picked up Haakanpaa at the 1.5 mil, it would need about 700k to make the upgrade

(btw we just signed Flip Roos whoever that is)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'd be fine moving Forsberg's year of 2.7 and going with Soogard in net for 25 games at 800k on a 1 way deal. Saves 2 million, gives Soogard more experience in the NHL in a sheltered role.

Saves them 2 million, and I don't think there is going to be much difference between a backup Soogard and a backup Forsberg. Soogard could likely play ~.900 in a backup role with sheltered minutes in predetermined games.

In saying that, I realize it's extremely unlikely, an Ullmark injury and the season is all but done, though I think that applies with Forsberg as well.

Don't want to go with Soogard, there are almost always guys on waivers, including Forsberg, you can pickup throughout the year

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd be fine moving Forsberg's year of 2.7 and going with Soogard in net for 25 games at 800k on a 1 way deal. Saves 2 million, gives Soogard more experience in the NHL in a sheltered role.

Saves them 2 million, and I don't think there is going to be much difference between a backup Soogard and a backup Forsberg. Soogard could likely play ~.900 in a backup role with sheltered minutes in predetermined games.

In saying that, I realize it's extremely unlikely, an Ullmark injury and the season is all but done, though I think that applies with Forsberg as well.
I think that's a move we might make next offseason.

I think we have a couple options this year;

1. Give Pinto a 1 year deal similar to Connor McMichael but a bit more, 2.5-3 mil
2. Give Pinto a proper bridge, up to 3.4 mil x 2 years
3. Trade Joseph to get a deal with term in place with Joseph, up to about 5.5x5

Reactions: Senator Stanley

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Lindholm hasn't been great the last two seasons, I wonder if he'll bounce back in Boston. Pasta is great, but he was with Gaudreau and Tkachuk the last time he put up big numbers.

I still think he's a good player, and a great fit for Boston, but I never really felt he was a true #1 center.
They basically have 3 #2 centres. I think Lindhom is a perfect fit since he should help them shore up their porous defensive play along with Zadorov.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
i think moving forsberg is a no go just because he was a component in the pitch to ullmark for ottawa and until/if ullmark extends its not a move to make

i wonder if we can take advantage of colorado's cap situation and make a deal. They need to shed cap while keeping nhl level talent, they still need to sign at least 1 more dman, probably a better backup and im not sure if they get cap relief for nuke's situation

joseph to colorado, colton to third team, something to us?

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They basically have 3 #2 centres. I think Lindhom is a perfect fit since he should help them shore up their porous defensive play along with Zadorov.
Right, I agree he's a good fit, I'm not sure he's worth that contract though. I think playing with Gaudreau and Tkachuk has people thinking he's a pt per game player that was just stuck in a bad situation, and I'm not sold. I guess he had a good playoff run with Vancouver after adjusting, but I see him as a 60 pts two way center, maybe I'm underselling him or just need to adjust what that's worth these days.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Right, I agree he's a good fit, I'm not sure he's worth that contract though. I think playing with Gaudreau and Tkachuk has people thinking he's a pt per game player that was just stuck in a bad situation, and I'm not sold. I guess he had a good playoff run with Vancouver after adjusting, but I see him as a 60 pts two way center, maybe I'm underselling him or just need to adjust what that's worth these days.
You need to get used to 7M for 2nd line centres and 5-6M for good 2nd pair D.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I crunched the numbers and with a 21 man roster (Hamonic as the 7th D) we can pay Pinto 3.4 mil and be cap compliant, which seems feasible as a bridge.

If we want to give him term, Joseph would have to be traded (Forsberg would work as an alternative)

Upgrading JBD has a lot of variables;

If we are dumping JBD, it becomes cost of signing a guy minus 805k.
So for example, had we picked up Haakanpaa at the 1.5 mil, it would need about 700k to make the upgrade

(btw we just signed Flip Roos whoever that is)

I keep seeing that we're in a cap crunch, but are we? If we were to sign Pinto to a 2-year bridge at $3.75M per, which is more than fair, we'd be looking at:

TkachukStützleBatherson
$8,205,417$8,350,000$4,950,000
PerronNorrisGiroux
$4,000,000$7,950,000$6,500,000
GreigPintoAmadio
$863,333$3,750,000$2,600,000
GregorOstapchukJoseph
$850,000$825,000$2,950,000
SandersonJensen
$8,050,000$4,050,000
ChabotZub
$8,000,000$4,600,000
Kleven
$925,000
Ullmark
$5,000,000
Forsberg
$2,750,000
Hamonic$1,100,000
Korpisalo *retention$1,000,000

That adds up to $87,268,750 and with the $625k credit from the White buyout, leaves ~1.35M for a 3rd pairing defenseman (assuming we shop JBD out for a pick).

So you could keep Joseph and still sign a guy like Shattenkirk, who'll likely get ~1M on a 1-year deal.

If Staios is able to get Pinto's AAV down even more, that opens up even more room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad