Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Boston improved, Toronto improved and Ottawa improved. All 3 addressed their biggest weakness.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If Bostons biggest worry is their backup goalie then I would say they have definitely improved
Well they are going from league best backup to league worst backup from what was a heralded 50/50 tandem, but it's just one factor. They also lost DeBrusk and Heinen up front.

I think they got a little better overall, but like all teams that added, there were some trade offs.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I wonder if teams view trading for Joseph as a way of helping Ottawa, meaning they’re asking Staios to attach a sweetener to dump him. Is it going to get to the point where waiving him is all we can do to sign Pinto?

Reactions: NB613

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And they added Lindholm and Zadorov who are better than all those guys you listed

Im surprised this is considered a hot take around here when the main boards think Boston did well
It's not a hot take. They did do well, but it's still fair to point out that there were subtractions to make room for the additions, and there's no guarantee they are actually better as a group next year. They're potential improvements, especially if Lindholm can get his groove back, but DeBrusk has paced the last two years in line with Lindholm ppg and scores goals at a higher rate the last 3 seasons. Zadorov is more of a 3rd pairing guy getting paid like a guaranteed top 4. I dunno, it's nice and I like the players, and they play the roles they need, but I don't think it's a slam dunk they improve as a whole year on year.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It's not a hot take. They did do well, but it's still fair to point out that there were subtractions to make room for the additions, and there's no guarantee they are actually better as a group next year. They're potential improvements, especially if Lindholm can get his groove back, but DeBrusk has paced the last two years in line with Lindholm ppg and scores goals at a higher rate the last 3 seasons. Zadorov is more of a 3rd pairing guy getting paid like a guaranteed top 4. I dunno, it's nice and I like the players, and they play the roles they need, but I don't think it's a slam dunk they improve as a whole year on year.
Lindholm is a center which was their weakest position. Its a clear upgrade then keeping the winger

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lindholm is a center which was their weakest position. Its a clear upgrade then keeping the winger
I agree with that, it was the obvious play, but it is still a factor and cost them almost twice as much as said winger was costing them, so they had to sacrifice in some areas like wing and goaltending. We'll see if the sum of their parts ends up better.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I do think the guys brought in fit better with the team, but....it's hard getting used to the idea of bottom 6 type guys in the $2-4.5 mil range. I would expect $4.5 mil to be the total spent on the fourth line.

It really emphasizes that you need to push for value in every contract on the roster. An extra $500k here, or $1 mil there....it adds up and really handcuffs a team at this time of year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I do think the guys brought in fit better with the team, but....it's hard getting used to the idea of bottom 6 type guys in the $2-4.5 mil range. I would expect $4.5 mil to be the total spent on the fourth line.

It really emphasizes that you need to push for value in every contract on the roster. An extra $500k here, or $1 mil there....it adds up and really handcuffs a team at this time of year.
They are likely spending less than 4.5 on the 4th line. Likely less than 3 million by the time the season roles around with Norris on the IT which I think is a high possibility.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Unfortunately the window should have opened 2 years ago. We are not young anymore. If we tank this season it will be big changes. And stutzle and Sanderson will follow suit after that
Note sure those guys are ready two years ago at all. I don’t think that’s realistic at all.

If you want a two 5!year rebuild you need a team filled with all of the outgoing guys ready to transition.

We started with nothing. Respect the process is what I’d say.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
They are likely spending less than 4.5 on the 4th line. Likely less than 3 million by the time the season roles around with Norris on the IT which I think is a high possibility.

We really have no choice at this point. I'm not sure how we're going to dump salary when most teams don't really have much in the way of cap space left.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Only stutzle, Sanderson, pinto, and Greig are under 25 when the season starts and could be considered part of our core.

Tkachuk, batherson, Giroux, Norris, Chabot, zub, ullmark etc will all be 25 or older.

This team is pretty much in their prime.
25. Brady is 25.

I personally think you negative guys are blowing yourselves by not being realistic or patient with you opinions.

Its fine, someone always has to be on the forefront of ringing the alarm and complaining about stuff. You're in that group, and I’m in the other.

I see solid upgrades, not the home runs outside of goaltending, but hitting every need with what we can get. I see a better team already.

You seem to se the worst you can for whatever reason have taken you there.

You do you, be bummed, that’s on you. I like the moves, it’s not hard to see the benefits.

Reactions: LiseL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Note sure those guys are ready two years ago at all. I don’t think that’s realistic at all.

If you want a two 5!year rebuild you need a team filled with all of the outgoing guys ready to transition.

We started with nothing. Respect the process is what I’d say.
Contend for the playoffs I mean. Not the cup.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Right. Lindholm is meh and if there’s an improvement from UFA signings it’s not a big one. 9 times out of 10 when a team improves its because of a new coaching style, goaltending, or progress of young players.
Not sure if Lindholm is “meh", and they added both him and Zadorov. Bruins have been written off every summer for several years. I think they still have about $8 m of cap space so maybe they add more - see Note. They’ll need Swayman to play more games though. Some Bruin fans seem to think they have a young goalie in their system with some promise.

Note (update) - Bruins still need to get Swayman under contract.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad