Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
seen a lot of people want Carrier...isnt he just another undersized defensemen. I get he is a RD but we don't need another year of people complaining about having another undersized D

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I wonder if any part of letting Brannstrom walk now has to do with Alex Carrier being their top UFA target for the 2nd RHD slot, and they're preparing to bulk up the rest of the group. A kind of "you can have one undersized guy" line of thinking.

Carrier makes a lot of sense for us. He's a French Canadian guy who might actually want to come here, he played in Gatineau for juniors, he looks to be friends with Mathieu Joseph, he's the same age as Chabot so I'm guessing they know each other. He's a different player than Tanev, that's for sure, but he could be a nice stabilizing presence next to Chabot, in the same way Demelo was.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
seen a lot of people want Carrier...isnt he just another undersized defensemen. I get he is a RD but we don't need another year of people complaining about having another undersized D
No, he’s strong defensively and very smart, a perfect guy to play 19 a night in your 2nd pair.

He’s not bruising, but we need a stabilizing presence. He was extremely strong in the playoffs playing 20+ a night, he’d be able to be that guy for Ottawa as well.

He’s likely the best realistic option for the Sens.

He’s going GM to make some GM look very smart

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Relax, there are always strong opinions on draft day….Back in 2018 a lot of people in this forum had their heads on fire because the Sens passed on Zadina….. and took some other guy instead…… the Sharks just passed on giving Zadina a QO, and the guy Dorion selected is still playing in Ottawa.

I wasn't referring to myself. Just the general vibe here this time of year. There is always a lot of initial disappointment with the draft, FA & Ottawa not getting any of the big fish.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Don’t be surprised if the Senators make an aggressive pitch to Los Angeles Kings blueliner Matt Roy. He’s a name on the club’s list along with Brandon Montour of the Florida Panthers. The Senators need a right shot blueliner, but they also have to convince these players to come here.

A league source told us that the Senators may have had some level of interest in Carolina Hurricanes’ defenceman Brett Pesce, but it would appear he’s all but settled on going to the New Jersey Devils.

From League executive.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Apples and oranges.

Using up draft capital on potentially underwhelming players isn' the same as taking a chance on a player without giving up assets.
Zadina wasn’t qualified by SJ, the worst team in the league with lots of cap space. There is no upside, time to let it go, he is Rudolph Balcers.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
No, he’s strong defensively and very smart, a perfect guy to play 19 a night in your 2nd pair.

He’s not bruising, but we need a stabilizing presence. He was extremely strong in the playoffs playing 20+ a night, he’d be able to be that guy for Ottawa as well.

if you are looking to overhaul the defense to be tougher to play against then you are going to need some guys who have some size to them and uses that size. Carrier might fit but there needs to be more around him. Kleven if he is ready can provide that in the bottom pair but I think there needs to be a significant shift in the top 4

I guess though if you miss out on Tanev and Roy then there isn't much option

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

One thing I didn't realize is how little Carrier has played in the NHL. He's only at 217 NHL games, which is remarkably low for a 27 year old who's about to get paid. Brannstrom, in comparison, has already played 266 games.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
leagueexcecutive.jpg

This is meant as a good natured rib over the league executive line he keeps using. I feel the need to clarify that, because sometimes people are hard on Garrioch over things that aren't directly related to his work.

Reactions: GCK

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
So the Sharks didn't qualify Zadina.

I don't think he'll ever become a top 6 forward, but I wouldn't mind signing him a cheap scoring winger for our 3rd line.
What do you like about his game other than being a former 6th overall pick?

San Jose, the worst team in the league by far, doesn't see any value in keeping him around. That should tell you a lot about his game.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think no one asked because the difference between that first and our second was 14 spots, and getting rid of Korpisalo was easily worth paying more.
Yes it was.

Having 3 goaltenders at $5M + $4M + $2.75M = 11.75M would be ridiculous; we had to get rid of one of them, preferably Korpisalo due to his higher salary.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
We can't keep Chychrun. We have to move him or Chabot, and bring in a stabilizing RHD. Ideally, we bring in the RHD to be Chabot's "Methot".

If we move Chabot instead of Chychrun, we create a possible complication where if Chychrun walks at the end of the season, we lose both of them in the span of one season.

We could possibly squeeze in a RHD at 5M-6M, bridge Pinto, and do nothing else while still coming in under the salary cap with 21 players. That is far from ideal because then we're paying Chychrun to be our #5 defenseman, in a role where he would be redundant.

You have to keep in mind that the return on Chychrun also includes whatever his near 5M in cap is used to add to our roster. The dynamic is that Chychrun is not staying after this season. So even if the return is similar to Marino, if it opens up the cap space for us to add a RHD in free agency, that RHD is part of the overall return, even if it is indirect.

It doesn't make sense to deliberately make our team worse for an important season just because we're going to have to take a massive haircut on what we paid for Chychrun. Chychrun either playing instead of a RHD, or using the last bit of cap space on that RHD and having Chychrun playing on the bottom pair which prevents us from adding a forward would not be good.

If they can get a RHD in free agency, they just need to make the best deal they can for Chychrun and move on.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Skinner, Schmidt, Boqvist bought out
A.Nylander and T.Raddysh not qualified

Any potential fits?
I think skinner could be a fit if he wants to come here. That Norris sitch is hard to read.
Schmidt I like. But I liked him two years ago I don’t know what he is now

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think skinner could be a fit if he wants to come here. That Norris sitch is hard to read.
Schmidt I like. But I liked him two years ago I don’t know what he is now
Yeah, I haven't paid much attention to any of these guys, so aside from Skinner I'm unsure.

Boqvist and Schmidt don't exactly fit the architype of who were looking for but maybe for depth?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brannstrom is better than boost and we just let Branny go
Brannstrom was let go because a) were loaded at LD, b) he had a case for a raise, and c) he's too small.

Boqvist is a RHD, we can make an offer at what we're willing to pay without worrying he'll be awarded more, and c) he's bigger...

I don't want him as a regular in the lineup, but maybe as a 7th d? Probably not since Hamonic is likely filling that role.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad