Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Trouba is turning into a head case. This will be 2 organizations now having issues with him. We don't need that in the locker room.
His wife is a US trained doctor and wanted to live in the States to work. He’s not coming to Canada for sure, and was one of the reasons he wanted/needed out of Winnipeg.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think Kleven has played his off side, might be worth seeing how he does in camp too,

but, I think as a backup plan we could see something like this:

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Hakanpaa
Chychrun-Lybushkin
Extra: Kleven/JBD/Hamonic
Kleven is not sitting on his ass. He’s one of our top d

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Is it just me thinking the price to acquire these guys was very reasonable.

I think its an incredible move by UTAH ..who also had an impressive Draft; It helps to have a lot of draft capital and use it smartly,
Iginla an Beaudoin on day 1
I liked the Allard pick in the 5th round

I think Kleven has played his off side, might be worth seeing how he does in camp too,

but, I think as a backup plan we could see something like this:

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Hakanpaa
Chychrun-Lybushkin
Extra: Kleven/JBD/Hamonic
Maybe Chychrun can play forward,

Reactions: Micklebot

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Is it just me thinking the price to acquire these guys was very reasonable.

I think its an incredible move by UTAH ..who also had an impressive Draft; It helps to have a lot of draft capital and use it smartly,
Iginla an Beaudoin on day 1
I liked the Allard pick in the 5th round
I think Utah got bent over in the Sergachev deal.

Geekie is a very good prospect, Moser is a very, very good 24 year old D who will be making a much smaller amount than Sergachev and fills a huge role on Tampa that Sergachev doesn’t, and they have Hedman suiting up on the PP regardless.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
really ... wow bent over.. that is strong .. So I guess Moser is why?
He’s one of the most efficient, underrated D in the league, he’s like Devon Toews of 2020.

Nowhere near the name brand, or offensive ability of Sergachev which is huge for a new market looking to make a splash with fans, but he’s going to be a very good #2 in Tampa at an extremely good price.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He’s one of the most efficient, underrated D in the league, he’s like Devon Toews of 2020.

Nowhere near the name brand, or offensive ability of Sergachev which is huge for a new market looking to make a splash with fans, but he’s going to be a very good #2 in Tampa at an extremely good price.
What is his next contract expected to be? I'm guessing around 4.5,

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What is his next contract expected to be? I'm guessing around 4.5,
I’d assume around there. Doesn’t have the huge numbers after his 3 seasons.

Guy plays the hardest minutes around 21 a game which is likely to rise, is a rock defensively with like a 60% Dzone start letting Durzi sit at 60+ Ozone, compared to Sergachevs 56% Ozone career start, still puts up ~30 points, and is one of the smartest guys on the ice every time he steps on,

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think Utah is in a 'compete now' mode. Got to win a brand new fan base. Making big deals and possibly overpaying for a few guys who will help them win games now is worth it for them.

And it does make sense. You've got to get bums in the seats and start making money to make having a team feasible.

Reactions: BondraTime

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Depending on what Tampa pays Moser and Guentzel, that trade is pretty ridiculous. It shows the easy mode that teams like Tampa get to play on.

It probably works out to something like Sergachev, Stamkos, a 2025 3rd for Guntezel, Moser, Geekie, a 2025 2nd, and a 2024 7th. Maybe some additional cap space as well depending on what Moser comes in at.

Imagine being in a position where you can not only confidently trade a top pairing defenseman and know that you can attract a superstar with the cap space, but you can let Stamkos walk without really blinking. I get he is older and not the player he was before, but to put it in context he had more goals than any player on our team.

Guentzel’s rights being traded to Tampa for a ‘25 3rd.

I would easily do a 4th-5th for Roy’s rights, if there is indication he’d be interested in signing here. He needs to be target #1

Someone brought up Kaliyev, 2nd, and Roy's rights for Chychrun a page or two back.

I thought that was low considering Roy's rights are not worth very much - but if there is no market for Chychrun maybe a deal like that is what happens. It obfuscates the failure to get value for Chychrun because they can sell it like "we got a top 4 RHD back!", not "we got the rights to a top 4 RHD, which typically go for a mid or late draft pick".

Rather than moving Chychrun somewhere for a return like Marino got, that kind of package deal is a bit harder for your average fan to figure out because the Senators can claim Kaliyev is worth a 1st round pick (when he is not), and that they got back a top pairing RHD. If they just get back two 2nd round picks from another team, it's pretty obvious that they didn't get enough.

Maybe add in a few random pieces to make the return seem bigger for optics like a 22 year old AHLer who was drafted in the 3rd round 4 years ago, and some fake conditions like the 2026 2nd Round Pick becomes a 2025 1st Round Pick if LAK win the Stanley Cup and Chychrun plays in x amount of playoffs games.

Last edited:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I doubt anything gets announced or even leaked until after game 7 tomorrow.
It was
I know those other deals went through last week, but that was when everyone thought the series was over.
For the non believer, yes
Gary is going to tell teams to stfu before what’s probably going to be the biggest game, from a viewership perspective, in NHL history.
From last 15 years:
- SCF average 10th/15
- SCF game 7th, worst ranking out of 5
Free to change your 3 statements?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Depending on what Tampa pays Moser and Guentzel, that trade is pretty ridiculous. It shows the easy mode that teams like Tampa get to play on.

It probably works out to something like Sergachev, Stamkos, a 2025 3rd for Guntezel, Moser, Geekie, a 2025 2nd, and a 2024 7th. Maybe some additional cap space as well depending on what Moser comes in at.

Imagine being in a position where you can not only confidently trade a top pairing defenseman and know that you can attract a superstar with the cap space, but you can let Stamkos walk without really blinking. I get he is older and not the player he was before, but to put it in context he had more goals than any player on our team.

Someone brought up Kaliyev, 2nd, and Roy's rights for Chychrun a page or two back.

I thought that was low considering Roy's rights are not worth very much - but if there is no market for Chychrun maybe a deal like that is what happens. It obfuscates the failure to get value for Chychrun because they can sell it like "we got a top 4 RHD back!", not "we got the rights to a top 4 RHD, which typically go for a mid or late draft pick".

Rather than moving Chychrun somewhere for a return like Marino got, that kind of package deal is a bit harder for your average fan to figure out because the Senators can claim Kaliyev is worth a 1st round pick (when he is not), and that they got back a top pairing RHD. If they just get back two 2nd round picks from another team, it's pretty obvious that they didn't get enough.

Maybe add in a few random pieces like a 2022 year old who was drafted in the 3rd round 4 years ago, and some fake conditions for optics like the 2026 2nd Round Pick becomes a 2025 1st Round Pick if LAK win the Stanley Cup and Chychrun plays in x amount of playoffs games.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Staois treated the fans like they were this stupid. This is the kind of sell job Dorion would try to pull.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Worst case, he's flipped at the deadline for a late first.

Teams rarely keep players going into the season when they have been so obviously shopped.

Last year, ownership claimed that a request from the players was "less chaos". Keeping a player in this scenario serves as a major distraction.

They also need to get Chychrun's cap off the books to use it for other needs. A top 4 RHD is going to cost 5M+ in cap. Ottawa only has 11M in cap space. They need to sign at least 6 players, ideally 8. Pinto will cost between 3 to 5 million, depending on the term. In a best case scenario where we get Roy, he will cost 5M+. Pinto on a bridge, a RHD, and 4 warm body roster players takes up the entirety of the cap space without upgrading anywhere else.

Unless they pull a 180 and trade Chabot, and that move makes Chychrun renounce any desire to move on, they can't go into the season with Chychrun both for cap reasons and to prevent a distraction in what will be a very important season with Brady's NMC coming up and the team failing to make the playoffs for his entire career.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Staois treated the fans like they were this stupid. This is the kind of sell job Dorion would try to pull.

They already did the same thing with the Korpisalo trade and nobody noticed.

They may have leaked a monster asking price for Ullmark (Chych+1st+more), and then paid extra to acquire him because Boston had to take Korpisalo, and because a late 1st for an unsigned Ullmark seemed like such a good deal relative to the leak, nobody asked the big question of "could we have kept our 1st round pick and still acquired Ullmark if we didn't insist on including Korpisalo?"

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Teams rarely keep players going into the season when they have been so obviously shopped.

Last year, ownership claimed that a request from the players was "less chaos". Keeping a player in this scenario serves as a major distraction.

They also need to get Chychrun's cap off the books to use it for other needs. A top 4 RHD is going to cost 5M+ in cap. Ottawa only has 11M in cap space. They need to sign at least 6 players, ideally 8. Pinto will cost between 3 to 5 million, depending on the term. In a best case scenario where we get Roy, he will cost 5M+. Pinto on a bridge, a RHD, and 4 warm body roster players takes up the entirety of the cap space without upgrading anywhere else.

Unless they pull a 180 and trade Chabot, and that move makes Chychrun renounce any desire to move on, they can't go into the season with Chychrun both for cap reasons and to prevent a distraction in what will be a very important season with Brady's NMC coming up and the team failing to make the playoffs for his entire career.

They already did the same thing with the Korpisalo trade and nobody noticed.

They may have leaked a monster asking price for Ullmark (Chych+1st+more), and then paid extra to acquire him because Boston had to take Korpisalo, and because a late 1st for an unsigned Ullmark seemed like such a good deal relative to the leak, nobody asked the big question of "could we have kept our 1st round pick and still acquired Ullmark if we didn't insist on including Korpisalo?"
I think no one asked because the difference between that first and our second was 14 spots, and getting rid of Korpisalo was easily worth paying more.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I would rather keep Chychrun than get Pennie’s on the dollar. Play the dude on the left where he actually looked better. He also wants to be in Ottawa if there is a proper slot for him. I bet Sandy would be just fine on the right, that could be a good pair, and then Chabot plays better with Zub.

But what do I know. Maybe building around Sandy is better than using him on the offside.

Really what I want is getting good value in trades, and certainly not throwing away picks a la Dorion. Not much to go on, but it seems Staios is methodical (I really hope so), I’m cautiously optimistic.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
So you're hating on everything management is doing and want to sign Zadina? Hahaha. Soft as butter player when this team needs to get harder to play against. Wild.
Apples and oranges.

Using up draft capital on potentially underwhelming players isn' the same as taking a chance on a player without giving up assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad