The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Krieger Bot

Apr 30, 2007
Call me crazy, but I actually kinda like what they've done (and I've hated just about every offseason Adams has had up until now). Starting in goal, UPL/Levi is the best tandem they've had since Miller was in his prime. They're in good shape there.

On the blue line, I'd still like to see them find a taker for Joker and add one more veteran DFD. But that was never going to be a problem they solved today. Have to wait for other teams to strike out on their preferred options. Then you can pawn off Joker on someone, and add somebody else who's a better fit. Making that series of moves will give them a pretty nice mix of breakout and takeout. Hopefully Adams is trying to figure that out, rather than giving Jokiharju a 2687th chance.

Up front, the new checking line looks great. Honestly, it's better than I expected. Fears of Cody Eakin and Erik Johnson definitely ran through my mind when people talked about building a new checking line. And I'm glad Adams managed to beat those (admittedly meager) expectations.

Additionally, I'm not worried about the third line. Frankly, I think people are underselling just how close some of our F prospects are. I mean, I know everyone has fatigue about relying on prospects. But come on guys. Some combination of Savoie/Kulich/Rosen/Ostlund etc. is going to be ready to anchor a bottom 6 scoring line by like Thanksgiving. These guys are really skilled and very close. Keep their minutes light, both in terms of volume and competition, and it will be just fine. It's a non-issue to me.

The top 6 is where the concerns are. I had a feeling our top-6 addition was going to be an under the radar veteran the analytics staff liked. My guess was Garland, but Zucker is better. To try to mitigate some of the skill deficit here, I wonder if Lindy will try to get them to play more of a puck possession oriented game. Cozens and Tuch's skills would fit this style nicely. Guys like Quinn and Zucker can likely play it too, which would give them 2 lines that cycle the puck well. It's not an ideal scenario, but I see how it can work. I'd actually be somewhat excited to see it tried out.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Only Tarasenko and Roslovic remain in UFA, who may be of some interest.

I think Adams did a good job on the fourth line, but otherwise, nothing. Our central axis still looks weird and very thin (if there is an injury). But Adams still has time to trade for a 3C and possibly a top-6 forward.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Ok, I've cooled down a bit and it's time to get to work. I think Adams will have no problem getting 3C/2C and top 6 forward. I think the center position is more important, but we also have the assets to get a top 6 forward. I think we have too many prospects in Rochester already and some of them will be at a disadvantage playing smaller roles. I'm also a little confused by the presence of so many LDs. We have Johnson, who looked okay on the third pairing, and Adams signed Gilbert and re-signed Bryson, not to mention Davis and Clague for Rochester. Jokiharju is a very strange guy here.

Who am I looking at to add a center to our lineup.

Carolina has Aho, Kuznetsov, Staal, Kotkaniemi and Drury. I think we could get one of KK and Drury.

Vegas has Eichel, Hertl, Karlsson and Roy, maybe one of the last two could be available.

Kick the tires on Frost.

Seattle signed Stephenson and they have Beniers, and maybe they'll give Wright the 3C role. Then Gourde would make sense for us.

Pinto seems like an obvious choice.

Oilers above the cap, McLeod was a good target.

Maybe players like Hartman, Schenn, Colton, Granlund, Dickinson, Eller and Suter.

Top 6 F:

I think the Necas story has died down. But who else is there? Ehlers would look perfect, even if for one year. Konecny, Zegras, Farabee, Laine, Coleman, Crouse, Schmaltz, Boeser, Vatrano. Tarasenko in UFA.

I think Adams has the assets to get one center and one top 6 forward, if he wants to. Also, trading Joki and Krebs would give us about 5 million in cap space. Not to mention that our UFA will free up more than 10 million in cap space after season.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Ok, I've cooled down a bit and it's time to get to work. I think Adams will have no problem getting 3C/2C and top 6 forward. I think the center position is more important, but we also have the assets to get a top 6 forward. I think we have too many prospects in Rochester already and some of them will be at a disadvantage playing smaller roles. I'm also a little confused by the presence of so many LDs. We have Johnson, who looked okay on the third pairing, and Adams signed Gilbert and re-signed Bryson, not to mention Davis and Clague for Rochester. Jokiharju is a very strange guy here.

Who am I looking at to add a center to our lineup.

Carolina has Aho, Kuznetsov, Staal, Kotkaniemi and Drury. I think we could get one of KK and Drury.

Vegas has Eichel, Hertl, Karlsson and Roy, maybe one of the last two could be available.

Kick the tires on Frost.

Seattle signed Stephenson and they have Beniers, and maybe they'll give Wright the 3C role. Then Gourde would make sense for us.

Pinto seems like an obvious choice.

Maybe players like Hartman, Schenn, Colton, Granlund, Dickinson, Eller and Suter.

Top 6 F:

I think the Necas story has died down. But who else is there? Ehlers would look perfect, even if for one year. Konecny, Zegras, Farabee, Laine, Coleman, Crouse, Schmaltz, Boeser, Vatrano. Tarasenko in UFA.

I think Adams has the assets to get one center and one top 6 forward, if he wants to. Also, trading Joki and Krebs would give us about 5 million in cap space. Not to mention that our UFA will free up more than 10 million in cap space after season.
Do you think we have enough roster space for two more sizable additions?

I've been travelling over the weekend - my thoughts pretty much echo those of @Krieger Bot posted above. I think the majority of people have unrealistic expectations, then get angry when those expectations aren't met.

The only move i really haven't liked is the Skinner buyout. It made so much more sense to do that next offseason instead.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Do you think we have enough roster space for two more sizable additions?

I've been travelling over the weekend - my thoughts pretty much echo those of @Krieger Bot posted above. I think the majority of people have unrealistic expectations, then get angry when those expectations aren't met.

The only move i really haven't liked is the Skinner buyout. It made so much more sense to do that next offseason instead.
Why not? We have cap space and roster space. We have assets. We need 3C and top 6 forward.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Why not? We have cap space and roster space. We have assets. We need 3C and top 6 forward.
That was my point - do we have roster space?

Once Krebs & Malenstyn are extended, that's 12 guys who are all probably too good to be 13/14th type forwards. Not to mention all the young guys in the system who will be getting looks.

Reactions: Zman5778 and jc17

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That was my point - do we have roster space?

Once Krebs & Malenstyn are extended, that's 12 guys who are all probably too good to be 13/14th type forwards. Not to mention all the young guys in the system who will be getting looks.
You always have a place in the team.

Better depth and competition are still there, it's better than worrying about one of your top 6 forwards getting injured and us having no one to replace him, especially if it's Thompson or Cozens.

Krebs can be traded or play as a 4C. NAK was a healthy scratch at times last season and played in the AHL. Lafferty can easily play wing if needed. They could also trade Krebs in some kind of deal if that's what it takes.

xxxx/Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
xxxx/Peterka - Cozens - Quinn
Zucker - xxxx - Benson
Malenstyn - Lafferty - Greenway (if they keep Krebs, he 4C, Lafferty/NAK 4RW)

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Looking at a possible line up:

Peterka - Thompson- Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - Benson
Zucker - Krebs - Greenway
Malenstyn - Lafferty - NAK
xxx

Power - Dahlin
Byrum - Samuelsson
Johnson - Clifton
Bryson, Gilbert

UPL, Levi

I think it’s a better roster than last season. Having a legitimate 4th line which can take tough assignments is a big addition. I also think that removing Skinner from the line up will be good for possession and team defense.

If this is the line up, I think there will be two positives: players getting better and Ruff’s coaching. Internal improvement will happen. I also think Ruff’s coaching is going to be a big difference in game play.

The downside is that if internal improvement doesn’t happen, neither will the playoffs.

The team could still use a top 6 power forward and a creative playmaker.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
You always have a place in the team.

Better depth and competition are still there, it's better than worrying about one of your top 6 forwards getting injured and us having no one to replace him, especially if it's Thompson or Cozens.

Krebs can be traded or play as a 4C. NAK was a healthy scratch at times last season and played in the AHL. Lafferty can easily play wing if needed. They could also trade Krebs in some kind of deal if that's what it takes.

xxxx/Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
xxxx/Peterka - Cozens - Quinn
Zucker - xxxx - Benson
Malenstyn - Lafferty - Greenway (if they keep Krebs, he 4C, Lafferty/NAK 4RW)
I'd be shocked if Krebs is moved at this point. For some reason he's turned into most people's whipping boy now that Skinner has gone.

There's room for maybe one more addition at most, IMO. Anything beyond that would require current roster players to go the other way, which seems very unlikely.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Peterka - Thompson- Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - Benson
xxx

Power - Dahlin
Byrum - Samuelsson
Johnson - Clifton
Bryson, Gilbert

UPL, Levi

I think it’s a better roster than last season. Having a legitimate 4th line which can take tough assignments is a big addition. I also think that removing Skinner from the line up will be good for possession and team defense.

If this is the line up, I think there will be two positives: players getting better and Ruff’s coaching. Internal improvement will happen. I also think Ruff’s coaching is going to be a big difference in game play.

The downside is that if internal improvement doesn’t happen, neither will the playoffs.

I'm not sure the roster is better. The bottom 6 depth is better and they added the players they wanted to the 4th line. But we also lost Skinner who could have scored 30 goals and didn't have bad metrics, and most importantly we lost Mitts and didn't replace him, our center depth sucks.

This is the same shit that happens to Adams every year, he take risks and is confident that all the players will be better, that there will be no injuries, that there will be no regression (and last season there was regress and there were injuries). That our goalies will cope. Ruff is certainly an experienced and good coach, but I don't believe he will make the playoffs with this roster. Our division and conference are loaded, other teams are improving, teams like Carolina and Detroit are probably not done yet. I hope Adams is not done either and gives Ruff a better roster and better depth, for his own good.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'd be shocked if Krebs is moved at this point. For some reason he's turned into most people's whipping boy now that Skinner has gone.

There's room for maybe one more addition at most, IMO. Anything beyond that would require current roster players to go the other way, which seems very unlikely.
He said the same thing about Mitts, and here we are. Adams, by the way, also told us how important Mitts is to the team, and then traded him.

I already said there is room for two players, but if you choose one, it should be 3C. Because it is easier to replace a winger and in theory the top 6 could play Benson, Zucker, Greenway, Savoie, Kulich or Rosen.

Although signing someone like Tarasenko for one year would be an ideal move.

Last edited:

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

Peterka - Thompson- Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - Benson
xxx

Power - Dahlin
Byrum - Samuelsson
Johnson - Clifton
Bryson, Gilbert

UPL, Levi

Losing Mitts still hurts, Krebs showed nothing last year.

Reactions: Fjordy

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
One thing I struggle with is, how much time do we give these kids in Rochester? Should a prospect really spend 3 full years in the AHL? It just seems to me that Rosen ain't gonna learn anything new down there.

If we plan on just throwing these prospect into trades, why not just give them an opportunity here?

So many 1st round picks from the 2020 draft (1 year before Rosen draft) already have so many games. What that says to me, these guys should be in NHL by the time they are 21/22,

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Peterka - Thompson- Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - Benson
xxx

Power - Dahlin
Byrum - Samuelsson
Johnson - Clifton
Bryson, Gilbert

UPL, Levi

It really does seem to live or die with certain guys taking a step forward, which is a little more uncertainty than I'd like, but is what it is.

I think that lineup is roughly what most people envision, and I think it's the play of the guys on that second line that's the wildcard. A ton of potential there but still relatively inexperienced

Edit: I need to proofread more often

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It really does seem to live or die with certain guys taking a step forward, which is a little more uncertainty than I'd like, but is what it is.

I think that lineup is roughly what most people envision, and I think the team will sort of live and die by the play of the guys on that second line. A ton of potential there but still relatively inexperienced
Add a decent 3C and I could live with this lineup. It's just that if Cozens and Tage get hurt or one of them has another bad season, we're screwed.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
One thing I struggle with is, how much time do we give these kids in Rochester? Should a prospect really spend 3 full years in the AHL? It just seems to me that Rosen ain't gonna learn anything new down there.

If we plan on just throwing these prospect into trades, why not just give them an opportunity here?

So many 1st round picks from the 2020 draft (1 year before Rosen draft) already have so many games. What that says to me, these guys should be in NHL by the time they are 21/22,
They cannot have the youngest roster in the league yet again.

If guys like Rosen and Kulich are up, then you probably have to send Benson back to the WHL. And people would lose their minds if that happens.

And there is no way that Rosen or Kulich fit on the 4th line with what Lindy obviously wants which is a pure energy line that will skate fast, block shots, and finish hits.

Reactions: Zman5778

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I gotta say after I listened to the presser I had to really roll my eyes at how everyone had reacted to and presented what he said. I went in ready to take a dump all over him. Some of what he said was a bit obnoxious. I don't exactly have confidence that he is gonna address the need to upgrade at least one of Krebs and/or top 6 wing but nothing he said implies he is any less likely to than before.

I think the 2nd half of this is what they grabbed onto to claim he’s done making moves. Which is bizarre, since he opens with saying he is open to adding someone to the top 6. I think they were just looking for something to grab onto to rage out about.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Add a decent 3C and I could live with this lineup. It's just that if Cozens and Tage get hurt or one of them has another bad season, we're screwed.
I'm would still be interested in Roslovic depending on the price, which I think would send Krebs down to 4C and maybe NAK to 13th F.

It would have to be a good contract though. As much as I'd also like another experienced C, I don't want them overpaying a guy for more than 3 years if they don't think he's really going to be good.

This offseason seems a little strange in that it seems like there are fewer sellers than usual. While I'd rather start the season with a roster that's ready to go, I wonder if more opportunities come in December if some teams are out of it early.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I don’t see their GMs using it as an excuse like Adams does. Adams mentions it at every deadline and every offseason, and those teams have gone decades without mentioning it once.
I guess maybe listen more? Toronto brings it up unprompted every time they talk about the roster. It was last week that their entire news cycle was on treliving saying the players they need aren’t available.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm would still be interested in Roslovic depending on the price, which I think would send Krebs down to 4C and maybe NAK to 13th F.

It would have to be a good contract though. As much as I'd also like another experienced C, I don't want them overpaying a guy for more than 3 years if they don't think he's really going to be good.

This offseason seems a little strange in that it seems like there are fewer sellers than usual. While I'd rather start the season with a roster that's ready to go, I wonder if more opportunities come in December if some teams are out of it early.
Krebs is not the type of 4C that fits with what Lindy wants on the 4th line.

Lindy wants guys that play fast, play in straight lines, finishes all their checks, blocks shots, and are really hard to play against.

That isn't Krebs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad