Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Larsson would be a great fit as a defensive RD. The 1 year remaining before FA is tough though. Will get paid well with the lack of RD out there.
Yes, but you're forgetting the Swedish connection Staios is building! Just picture Alfie, Ullmark, and Larsson spending their free time eating little meatballs and assembling cheap furniture together and maybe you'll understand the plan 😉

The rangers have two LD. Both arguably more valuable to them than chychrun would be
Miller and who?

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Larsson would be a great fit as a defensive RD. The 1 year remaining before FA is tough though. Will get paid well with the lack of RD out there.
I'm sure Seattle would view Chychrun in a similar way. He'll cost a good amount as a UFA as he-ll put up good numbers, and numbers bring money.

I forgot Larsson even exists. Defensive defensemen who don't make many mistakes tend not to get noticed.

I would absolutely do this trade.

The only negative is that Larsson isn't very physical. There isn't a problem with him not being physical, just that our team only has 1 physical guy (Kleven), and 1 somewhat physical guy (Zub). Maybe we'll draft 6'7 Silayev, and insert him immediately as our 6D RD. He is a LD that mostly plays the right side. Best upside as a defensive defender in the draft. Not Jared Cowen, as Silayev is a great skater for someone so large.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Yes, but you're forgetting the Swedish connection Staios is building! Just picture Alfie, Ullmark, and Larsson spending their free time eating little meatballs and assembling cheap furniture together and maybe you'll understand the plan 😉

No Karlsson??

I do like Larsson though. Steady, size, some physicality. Would fit in well I think.

Would prefer to grab one of the RD in UFA, but if prices are too high a trade may be in order.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chychrun for Mayfield + 20OA

Or let’s go fantasy

Chychrun + 7OA for Dobson

Or crazier

Chabot for Mayfield + Pageau 50% + 20OA

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
No Karlsson??

I do like Larsson though. Steady, size, some physicality. Would fit in well I think.

Would prefer to grab one of the RD in UFA, but if prices are too high a trade may be in order.
😆 You're correct, of course. Karlsson would join them when visiting his in-laws.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The rangers have two LD. Both arguably more valuable to them than chychrun would be
They have Miller. I'm assuming you mean lindgren as the 2nd one and I would disagree. I also mentioned the Rangers because a good portion of their fan base was not happy with their dmen moving the puck up the ice (besides fox) so if that's a legitimate need then Chychrun can fill that role

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
They have Miller. I'm assuming you mean lindgren as the 2nd one and I would disagree. I also mentioned the Rangers because a good portion of their fan base was not happy with their dmen moving the puck up the ice (besides fox) so if that's a legitimate need then Chychrun can fill that role
Chychrun - Trouba
Miller - Fox

Potential to be a filthy top 4.

Reactions: Icelevel

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 11.33.32 AM.png

Then a draft pick or prospect to Seattle for Tanev w/ 1.25M retained (or Seattle taking Forsberg).

How mad would you guys be out of car commercials?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
View attachment 887475

Then a draft pick or prospect to Seattle for Tanev w/ 1.25M retained (or Seattle taking Forsberg).

How mad would you guys be out of car commercials?

After what Detroit did with Jake Walman I suppose anything can happen, but I would just keep Joseph.

The buyout is just such a blunt force tool. It's an immediate solution with long term repurcussions. Dorion loved it because he couldn't think more than one step ahead. Staois probably views it as a last resort, and we're not close to last resort territory with Joseph.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
Chychrun is subpar defensively and I recall Ranger fans not happy with Troubas play lately.
Fair, but was Trouba's play the result of trying to do too much? (Seriously, was it? I don't know.) Trouba is a defence first player, might be that getting paired with Chychrun creates a nice balance.

Issue I see with a NYR deal is cap space - won't be long before a few players there are looking to cash in.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
After what Detroit did with Jake Walman I suppose anything can happen, but I would just keep Joseph.

The buyout is just such a blunt force tool. It's an immediate solution with long term repurcussions. Dorion loved it because he couldn't think more than one step ahead. Staois probably views it as a last resort, and we're not close to last resort territory with Joseph.

I think Staios wants to try and completely overturn the non-core players of the team to try and bring as much of a change in as short of a period of time. We have basically heard everybody's name as being shopped, short of the core guys. They have gone as far as to buyout Hamonic, even know it technically costs them cap space vs sitting him in the press box. They retained for four years on Korpisalo. They clearly aren't afraid of dead cap up to a point if they feel it helps with the changeover of the roster. Otherwise, it's difficult to get out of contracts and change the roster so much over such a short timeframe.

I think if there was a market to move Joseph without taking back another contract, he would have been moved by now. I think that Seattle would probably be more open to retaining on Tanev than taking Joseph, because retention on Tanev is a one year and done thing, Joseph is two years of term.

I think a buyout is incredibly unlikely, but if I thought it was a 0/10 chance yesterday, maybe I think it's a 2 or 3 out of 10 today. Attaching a pick to him seems more likely.

I hope I am wrong and we can trade him for an asset.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
From a timing perspective, it would be better to land the RD first (either via trade or preferably/hopefully free agency) and then move Chychrun. The reasons are rather obvious. Hope for the best obviously, but they would want to avoid moving Chychrun without filling the hole in the top 4 first. Of course, we would rather not think of this, but its still within the range of possibilities that they come up dry on their quest for a RD. I think its possible we’ll be waiting a bit before all this unfolds, but let’s see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blotto71

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I think Staios wants to try and completely overturn the non-core players of the team to try and bring as much of a change in as short of a period of time. We have basically heard everybody's name as being shopped, short of the core guys. They have gone as far as to buyout Hamonic, even know it technically costs them cap space vs sitting him in the press box. They retained for four years on Korpisalo. They clearly aren't afraid of dead cap up to a point if they feel it helps with the changeover of the roster. Otherwise, it's difficult to get out of contracts and change the roster so much over such a short timeframe.

I think if there was a market to move Joseph without taking back another contract, he would have been moved by now. I think that Seattle would probably be more open to retaining on Tanev than taking Joseph, because retention on Tanev is a one year and done thing, Joseph is two years of term.

I think a buyout is incredibly unlikely, but if I thought it was a 0/10 chance yesterday, maybe I think it's a 2 or 3 out of 10 today. Attaching a pick to him seems more likely.

I hope I am wrong and we can trade him for an asset.

I think Staois probably feels like he had to get off Korpisalo to improve the goaltending, hence the retention, and that between Hamonic's declining play and the relatively low cost to buying him out, that's a move that makes sense.

We don't need to get rid of Joseph in the same way. Clearly they would like to trade him, but he's not preventing a necessary upgrade in the same way Korpisalo was, and he's still a solid player, unlike Hamonic.

This is the week where Joseph is likely to move, and we're still early in. I'd say it's too early to conclude what the market for him will be.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think Staois probably feels like he had to get off Korpisalo to improve the goaltending, hence the retention, and that between Hamonic's declining play and the relatively low cost to buying him out, that's a move that makes sense.

We don't need to get rid of Joseph in the same way. Clearly they would like to trade him, but he's not preventing a necessary upgrade in the same way Korpisalo was, and he's still a solid player, unlike Hamonic.

This is the week where Joseph is likely to move, and we're still early in. I'd say it's too early to conclude what the market for him will be.

I think they want to transform the room and culture of the team over a short period of time. Not to say one guy is the problem, but I think they want to change the group which means they need lots of new faces in.

They cannot move core guys, so they are moving out all of Dorion's second and third tier guys that are easier to move and replace. I base this on the long list of names rumoured to be shopped. It seems like we are going to swap out over half the roster, which is pretty drastic in one off season..

If they have a plan to bring in the Tanev brothers, they need cap space to do that. If Seattle will retain on Tanev, a Joseph buyout could be cap neutral this year.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I think they want to transform the room and culture of the team over a short period of time. Not to say one guy is the problem, but I think they want to change the group which means they need lots of new faces in.

They cannot move core guys, so they are moving out all of Dorion's second and third tier guys that are easier to move and replace. I base this on the long list of names rumoured to be shopped. It seems like we are going to swap out over half the roster, which is pretty drastic in one off season..

If they have a plan to bring in the Tanev brothers, they need cap space to do that. If Seattle will retain on Tanev, a Joseph buyout could be cap neutral this year.

I agree with all that - need for change plus locked in core means need to ship out secondary pieces like Joseph. I would just be surprised if Staois resorted to buying out a useful player in Joseph, based on the patience he's shown so far.

But hey, I'm not in the room and don't know what teams are telling him about Joseph's value (slightly positive? slightly negative? very negative?).

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Seems like you suggested trading two top 4 D in Chychrun and Chabot, and adding one top 4 RHD.

If we move out both Chych and Chabot we need to add another top. 4 LHD too.
In the post I said Buium as a draft option for LD. Sanderson becomes our top LD as he should. We keep Chychrun and trade him if we cant resign him at the deadline and we are not in the playoff hunt. Chabot has a lot less trade value because of that cap hit and staying healthy but it was an option to clear cap space that we can redistribute to other areas in our team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In the post I said Buium as a draft option for LD. Sanderson becomes our top LD as he should. We keep Chychrun and trade him if we cant resign him at the deadline and we are not in the playoff hunt. Chabot has a lot less value because of that cap hit and staying healthy but it was an option to clear cap space that we can redistribute to other areas in our team.
Ok, so you a) are assuming Buium will be available at 7 and b) ready for top 4 deployment in a year? That seems pretty optimistic.

You're also trading a top 4 D at a time when we should be fighting for a playoff spot, didn't see anything about extending Chychrun in your post but he is gone, there's no way we're bringing him back imo.

Reactions: vandelay and DrEasy

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Ok, so you a) are assuming Buium will be available at 7 and b) ready for top 4 deployment in a year? That seems pretty optimistic.

You're also trading a top 4 D at a time when we should be fighting for a playoff spot, Chychrun is gone, there's no way we're bringing him back imo.
There are great options as LD in this draft. The point is capspace, who said you cant find a cheaper option at LD to replace Chabot? Especially when you move him. I think Chychrun is the easier guy to move and why he is being shopped but he still is a really good dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad