Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well that’s draft picks in general, doesn’t mean they aren’t useful.

The thing with Chychrun is he’s not good enough to get you a solid RD, and it doesn’t make much sense to trade him for bottom six wingers, which are our other needs. And we just got a goalie, so that basically leaves trading him for futures.
I just would prefer not Kaliyev. I think if you’re getting a young player it’s gotta be a guy you know can at least play

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
My theory on all the NTC stuff.

Ill trust Freidman saying it seems like Ottawa was not on his NTC. I believe he did it believing Ottawa wound't trade for him after committing to Korpi. The pressure was on to get this trade completed before July 1st when Ullmark could have updated his NTC list and included Ottawa.

Do I think we have zero chance at extending him? not at all. Hellebuyck committed to Winnipeg so Ottawa has a decent shot at retaining Ullmark, but even if he walks in a year this trade is a win because it allows the Sens to have goaltending that can bring them to the playoffs to get that playoff experience and possibly go on a run. You also got out of that Korpi contract with minimal damage compared to how long he would have been on the books with a buyout.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
My theory on all the NTC stuff.

Ill trust Freidman saying it seems like Ottawa was not on his NTC. I believe he did it believing Ottawa wound't trade for him after committing to Korpi. The pressure was on to get this trade completed before July 1st when Ullmark could have updated his NTC list and included Ottawa.

Do I think we have zero chance at extending him? not at all. Hellebuyck committed to Winnipeg so Ottawa has a decent shot at retaining Ullmark, but even if he walks in a year this trade is a win because it allows the Sens to have goaltending that can bring them to the playoffs to get that playoff experience and possibly go on a run. You also got out of that Korpi contract with minimal damage compared to how long he would have been on the books with a buyout.
Friedman even said it was uncomfirmed. Bruce seemed to confirm that we were on the NTC and he waived. Bruins insider on TSN 1200 said he heard Alfie talked him into waiving. Pagnotta says Ottawa was the one place Ullmark was interested in.

Maybe we’ll never know.

Reactions: gab6511

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Chychrun is being severely under-valued here. He was not put in a good position with the Sens and was trying to fill a role outside of his skill-set. He is not and never has been a physical player and should not have been put in a spot to be the defensive conscious on any pairing - doing so has only made the need for that type more glaring (and is why we all clamor for Tanev/Roy/etc.).

As much as the cost to aquire Ullmark surprised us for the right reasons, so to will the return for Chychrun. JC will flourish with the right team and, thank God, Staios knows that and has set the price at 1st + 2nd.
Very small update.

Ottawa doesn’t know what total picks they have in this draft until tonight’s game.

Not to say that is significant in the Ullmark deal, but potentially one of the other dominos that needs to fall in regards to Philly or Seattle if those rumours are on point.
Seattle...hmm.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If I had to guess, Detroit is clearing space for hometown guy Matt Roy. If we give them Chychrun, they got a great d-corps unfortunately.
Did not know Roy was a Detroit kid. Yeah that’s done.

If they get chychrun they will have the same issue that people complained about here. To much money in the D.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I’d put money on Kaliyev being waived in the next year
If I had to guess, Detroit is clearing space for hometown guy Matt Roy. If we give them Chychrun, they got a great d-corps unfortunately.
Detroit has 32 mil to sign Seider ($8.5m+), Raymond ($5.5+ on a bridge, $7.5m+ longterm), plus re-sign or replace Kane, Ghost, Perron, Sprong, Veleno, and Fischer, and that would still leave them with just 12+6+2.

Not saying they cant add Roy but they would need to get incredibly creative

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I'd still look at options to move Chabot and his $8m a year. We need capspace to sign a top 4 RD, a middle 6 winger, and a depth shutdown D too. Keep Chychrun till trade deadline and recoup a first rounder:

Chychrun Top4RD
Sanderson Zub
Kleven ShutdownD
JBD

Draft Buium or Parekh

Last edited:
Reactions: Duncstar and Volt

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Yzerman realizing he can't fleece Ottawa anymore:

Hitler_Takes_Off_Glasses.gif

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Chychrun is being severely under-valued here. He was not put in a good position with the Sens and was trying to fill a role outside of his skill-set. He is not and never has been a physical player and should not have been put in a spot to be the defensive conscious on any pairing - doing so has only made the need for that type more glaring (and is why we all clamor for Tanev/Roy/etc.).

As much as the cost to aquire Ullmark surprised us for the right reasons, so to will the return for Chychrun. JC will flourish with the right team and, thank God, Staios knows that and has set the price at 1st + 2nd.
Seattle...hmm.

It's getting ridiculous. I can understand people projecting an underwhelming return, but you'd think we were trading away Zaitsev again by the way some people talk about the player. He's a legitimate top four defenceman who made zero sense on this roster.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Not sure why Chicago would want Chychrun given that they have Vlasic and Korchinski on the left.. Chychrun could definitely help short-term, but I see both of those guys ahead of him before long (Vlasic arguably already is).

Either way, I would be happy to move Chychrun for Murphy. Anything beyond that would be gravy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The return for Chychrun will be underwhelming because of what Dorion gave up to get him in the first place: three picks for a player most of knew was a bad fit. We are not going to recoup much of that.

Reactions: bicboi64

vandelay

Nov 3, 2022
I'd still look at options to move Chabot and his $8m a year. We need capspace to sign a top 4 RD, a middle 6 winger, and a depth shutdown D too. Keep Chychrun till trade deadline and recoup a first rounder:

Chychrun Top4RD
Sanderson Zub
Kleven ShutdownD
JBD

Draft Buium or Parekh
So start over? If you're trading a top 4 defenceman, you'd better have a plan to get one back.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I feel the Middelstadt contract helps us in Pinto negotiations. Two essentially 60 point seasons and it buys some UFA time. If we bridge Pinto it should come in a good amount lower than Mittelstadt's 5.75.

Reactions: bicboi64

vandelay

Nov 3, 2022
The return for Chychrun will be underwhelming because of what Dorion gave up to get him in the first place: three picks for a player most of knew was a bad fit. We are not going to recoup much of that.
We won't get what we gave but you could argue that his value to teams has increased since he came to ottawa. He just played a full 82 which was the biggest concern. Just like our goalies were bad because our D was bas, Chych was bad because he was on his wrong side and ever settled in. I agree he's not a fit as long as we have Chabot but he's very undervalued on here for some reason.

Reactions: Alex1234

vandelay

Nov 3, 2022
Did you read my post?
Bare with me, I'm still learning but I think it was "We need capspace to sign a top 4 RD"?

Let's get rid of a top 4 do we can go sign a top 4. I understand the logic and I don't necessarily disagree but the UFA route is less than ideal. Wasn't a lot of options to begin with and I'd bet it's pretty slim pickings by the weekend.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Is there a team that needs more offense from its defense that has a defensive top 4 RD with 1 year left on his deal they could swap with Chychrun?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad