Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That year with the .892 save % is probably the weakest I've ever seen him, but the team was also underperforming and was the end of Daryl Sutter's tenure. Vladar also saw a .011 save % drop year on year, so something was in the water there that year or something. Markstrom had been above .910 save % every year but 1 of the 7 prior where he had .905. No excuse either way, but he is a guy I see as relatively consistent.
Vladar had never established himself so him dropping from the previous year isn't really evidence of anything, maybe 2022 was the outlier not last year.

Cgy was top ten scoring 5v5 in 2023, and middle of the pack in GA in spite of their goalies sv%. Their xGA was close to the best of the league 5v5, Markstrom was just bad, not Cgy.

Goalies are fickle, and he's not been elite two years running now, I don't see him as a premium solution, I think you can expect average from him, and I don't see that as worth a first +, not if you only have 2 years of it and are taking on the risk that he is in the midst of aging poorly.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Vladar had never established himself so him dropping from the previous year isn't really evidence of anything, maybe 2022 was the outlier not last year.

Cgy was top ten scoring 5v5 in 2023, and middle of the pack in GA in spite of their goalies sv%. Their xGA was close to the best of the league 5v5, Markstrom was just bad, not Cgy.

Goalies are fickle, and he's not been elite two years running now, I don't see him as a premium solution, I think you can expect average from him, and I don't see that as worth a first +, not if you only have 2 years of it and are taking on the risk that he is in the midst of aging poorly.
I'm honestly not going to argue that too much because I did think he had a down year. Vladar took an even bigger step back this year too. There were some weird things happening like the Sutter story and guys expiring hanging over their heads, but he flat out wasn't good. It just didn't really shake my confidence in him to provide reasonable stability though, which is what I think this team needs.

Tough call either way. Imo, anything is better than Korpisalo as I see that as a guarantee we're a lottery team again, so I'm probably willing to stick my neck out here more than some are. I'm pretty shocked at how many are willing to go back to that well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
At least we'll be guaranteed another lottery pick!
To be fair, Forsberg was fine every other year with us, maybe a down year after double knee injury should have been expected.

As for Korpisalo, I don't trust he will bounce back, but he does have 2 or 3 respectable seasons out of 9 in his career, so there's a chance he could have another one...

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Reads like Markstrom tried to be flexible and may have been willing to waive if it came down to it
Very interesting insight into our offseason plans...

I keep seeing people say that management is taking the long but methodical route towards fixing all of the roster issues. That management and ownership don't believe we're close to a contention window, currently, and that it's reflected in a lot of the language/statements we hear from them. So then why are we sniffing around a 34yo goalie who has maybe a couple of years of prime play left?

If management think this team isn't as far as some of the fanbase seem to believe and that a competitive goalie can deliver a huge boon to our results, then why didn't we make a better offer? A late 1st and B+ prospect should have been pretty easy to beat if this was a big piece of the puzzle.

Now, presumably, if they were sussing out a trade for a Markstrom-calibre goalie, then it seems likely that they believe we're a lot closer to the playoffs than they've let on.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I wonder if we were adamant about them eating the Korpisalo contract. Wasn't it reported that we tried to get Boston to take him back in a trade for Ullmark at the deadline?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
To be fair, Forsberg was fine every other year with us, maybe a down year after double knee injury should have been expected.

As for Korpisalo, I don't trust he will bounce back, but he does have 2 or 3 respectable seasons out of 9 in his career, so there's a chance he could have another one...
I have more confidence in Forsberg offering something of use out of the 2.

I also don't discount the idea that Korpisalo could end up providing something not below replacement level in a short term window as an outlier type thing, but it's not a mid/long term solution no matter how well he plays in the short term. I'd actually kind of hate that in a way because then we probably roll with him and he ruins the next season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Very interesting insight into our offseason plans...

I keep seeing people say that management is taking the long but methodical route towards fixing all of the roster issues. That management and ownership don't believe we're close to a contention window, currently, and that it's reflected in a lot of the language/statements we hear from them. So then why are we sniffing around a 34yo goalie who has maybe a couple of years of prime play left?

If management think this team isn't as far as some of the fanbase seem to believe and that a competitive goalie can deliver a huge boon to our results, then why didn't we make a better offer? A late 1st and B+ prospect should have been pretty easy to beat if this was a big piece of the puzzle.

Now, presumably, if they were sussing out a trade for a Markstrom-calibre goalie, then it seems likely that they believe we're a lot closer to the playoffs than they've let on.

It's hard to say, without knowing what we were offering.

If we saw trading for Markstrom as a means to shipping out Korpisalo, thats a bit different.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have more confidence in Forsberg offering something of use out of the 2.

I also don't discount the idea that Korpisalo could end up providing something not below replacement level in a short term window as an outlier type thing, but it's not a mid/long term solution no matter how well he plays in the short term. I'd actually kind of hate that in a way because then we probably roll with him and he ruins the next season.
I'm telling ya, with his newly fitted helmet an laser eye surgery, he'll be the next time Thomas minus the conspiracy theories.

• Haha
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell
Oct 10, 2010
Is Nashville really gonna keep Saros ( re-signed) and top prospect Askarov ? Feel like they gotta cash in on one of them eventually.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I wouldn’t have traded Kleven and Boston 1st for that deal.
We are somewhat hamstrung by the lack of assets we can afford to give up.

If we go big game goalie hunting then I want it to be a big time goalie. I’d pay for that, rather than whittle down what assets we have for a “pretty good” short term solution.

Askarov
Saros (signed)
Sorokin

Not saying id give up the 7th but I’d rather do that than give up Kleven and a mid 1st for Markstrom.
Lack of assets? You mean Dorion pissing away picks for years has consequences? Could have sworn that we had lots of picks and it didn't matter...least that's what was said. All these things that the new guys have to clean up. Tough job.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm telling ya, with his newly fitted helmet an laser eye surgery, he'll be the next time Thomas minus the conspiracy theories.
Lol, we wish eh. Old Tim Thomas just needed a chance it looks like.

Korpisalo has had a ton of chances and has not met most of the challenges along the way from the looks of it.

I'm all for hope, but I need it to be based on something.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
LOL at San Jose picking up Goodrow. They must think they can pump and dump him, while he does the whole "veteran leadership" thing in the mean time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There are several teams with two picks in the first rd that could be potential trading partners for Chychrun depending on what his actual value might be. Or they could trade a 1st to get something they need & want in return.

SJ - 1st & 14th
Chi - 2nd & 18th
Ann - 3rd & 31st
Mon - 5th & 26th
Cal - 9th & 28th
Philly - 12th & 32nd
Sens - 7th & 25th

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Lack of assets? You mean Dorion pissing away picks for years has consequences? Could have sworn that we had lots of picks and it didn't matter...least that's what was said. All these things that the new guys have to clean up. Tough job.

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant.

Reactions: Loach

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Everytthing is happening

Edmonton and Florida, with at least one game left to play:

1718823760300.gif

Reactions: Emerica

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad