Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I keep going to the Staios comments about needed solid pros to help the core. To me that signals management and Martin/Alfie think we have the pieces to be a good team but they need more veteran leadership. It’s not about adding more talent, it’s about surrounding our talent with guys who can hold their teammates accountable.
Holding players accountable is the coaching staff's job..

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Guys we're not getting Tanev @ 4.5 it's 6mil x 3 years minimum. Then all you will cry that it's too much. Too bad!

So then we're back at square 1! I really don't think we get Tanev... though I'd do the Karlsson switch with Chabot and get a mean LD to play with him whose good defensively.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Guys we're not getting Tanev @ 4.5 it's 6mil x 3 years minimum. Then all you will cry that it's too much. Too bad!

So then we're back at square 1! I really don't think we get Tanev... though I'd do the Karlsson switch with Chabot and get a mean LD to play with him whose good defensively.

6M x 3 is comparable to 4.5M x 4 IMO. Both have pros and cons given his age and the risks of term.

I'd be shocked if we didn't get Tanev at this point, there seems to be so much smoke. It wouldn't surprise me if we traded a pick for his rights as soon as we figure out where Chychrun is going.

Even guys like Friedman are pushing it. It's not just Garrioch. We have basically tampered with him using these leaks to the point that he must know we are going to give him a strong offer.

Most teams aren't going to line up to give term to a 34 year old non-superstar.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
As much as it concerns me, I think our 7OA pick is in play to fix the goaltending. Not as a standalone piece but part of a bigger deal.
Unless it’s to move down to 9 for Markstrom, what goalie is going to acquire 7th overall to require, other than maybe Saros?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
first and foremost it's the players who have to hold themselves accountable. we don't have much of that and it's why this core and leadership is some of the biggest losers in this league.

like the winners don't need a coach to motivate them to want do the things to win. those guys want to win more than the coach.

Reactions: GCK

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You might be right. I was watching TSN's panel earlier and they had footage of Steve Staios working the phones.

I took a screenshot:

5e56cf30-78e7-11ee-a3d6-7a494492f5fb
Man this somehow reminds me of that new Spence Diamonds commercial where Fiona has been secretly talking to “Sarah”.

Staios has been secretly talking to Dorion

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
6M x 3 is comparable to 4.5M x 4 IMO. Both have pros and cons given his age and the risks of term.

I'd be shocked if we didn't get Tanev at this point, there seems to be so much smoke. It wouldn't surprise me if we traded a pick for his rights as soon as we figure out where Chychrun is going.

Even guys like Friedman are pushing it. It's not just Garrioch. We have basically tampered with him using these leaks to the point that he must know we are going to give him a strong offer.

Most teams aren't going to line up to give term to a 34 year old non-superstar.
3x6 and 4x4.5 are both good deals which is why that’s not what the numbers will be

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Dreger said this morning that Dallas and Tanev are working hard to get an extension done. They want to keep him and he wants to stay there.
You mean to tell me that trading for his brother who isn't needed and probably has the Sens on his no trade list may not move the scales?

Would be a hilarious way of re-allocatinng Josephs money for a more expensive, 6 year older version of Joseph

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I keep going to the Staios comments about needed solid pros to help the core. To me that signals management and Martin/Alfie think we have the pieces to be a good team but they need more veteran leadership. It’s not about adding more talent, it’s about surrounding our talent with guys who can hold their teammates accountable.
Sure, but they do have 2 rather important holes to fill: a good, top 4 RD, and a goalie. Unfortunately, RDs are typically hard to get and in demand, and the available goalie situation is rather limited & sparse as well.

They could address veteran leadership (at least partially) with the RD acquisition.

We’ll have to see, but Staois job won’t be easy.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
screenshot-2024-06-18-at-2-46-55%E2%80%AFpm-png.883976

I posted this in the draft thread, but it might be more applicable here.

That is apparently close to "fair" value for swapping 7 and 9.

If our target is Markstrom, and we work backwards, the two questions I would have are:
  1. What is Markstrom's value expressed only in draft picks? Is he worth more or less than a high 2nd?
  2. Is this a unique situation where there should be a premium on swapping picks because of Iginla's marketing value to Calgary?
This could be a bit of an aside, but I’m not sure how you would model big fluctuations in value for goalies in a year like this. Goalies haven’t typically had real high values, but I’m not sure this is the case this year when there a so few good, experienced tenders available and several teams that need one.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
If Dallas is working hard to resign Tanev then maybe Hakanpaa will become available as a UFA.
Hakanpaa 6'7 and Klevin 6'4 would be a big bodied third pairing for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad